Where to get a slim fitting suit for ~$500?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm a 24 year old guy, 6 feet and 140 lbs. Therefore, I'm pretty skinny. I need to buy a new suit (basic black for job interviews) and I have a hard time finding one that fits me correctly because I'm so skinny. I don't want to spend more than $500 on it because I don't use it very often, so I'm limited to off the rack suits. I've shopped at Brooks Brothers but often their clothes are cut more generously, and they end up just hanging on me which doesnt look good. This is particularly a problem with their suit jackets because I have long arms which requires a larger jacket, but my chest is pretty narrow, so it doesn't sit right.

Can anyone recommend a store or brand of suits that is generally cut slender? I'm really looking for a more European style of suit, but I don't know where to find it.

soupcxan said:
I'm a 24 year old guy, 6 feet and 140 lbs. Therefore, I'm pretty skinny. I need to buy a new suit (basic black for job interviews) and I have a hard time finding one that fits me correctly because I'm so skinny. I don't want to spend more than $500 on it because I don't use it very often, so I'm limited to off the rack suits. I've shopped at Brooks Brothers but often their clothes are cut more generously, and they end up just hanging on me which doesnt look good. This is particularly a problem with their suit jackets because I have long arms which requires a larger jacket, but my chest is pretty narrow, so it doesn't sit right.

Can anyone recommend a store or brand of suits that is generally cut slender? I'm really looking for a more European style of suit, but I don't know where to find it.

Try Men's Wearhouse........they can work with all body types, and you can get a nice suit for $300 or less........... ;)

soupcxan said:
I need to buy a new suit (basic black for job interviews)

My deepest condolences. :'( That is so sad. When this kind of news (deaths in the family, being diagnosed with terminal cancer, dog hit by car, looking for w*rk, etc.) hits, all of us share the pain. If there's anything we can do to help, just let us know.

I knew of a very small-built guy who got his suits made in Hong Kong or Taiwan or somewhere like that. Competitive costs and made-to-measure. Probably now you can buy it over the Internet.

try Landsend (on-line). they offer some of their clothing in "trim" and "tailored" (or something like that). also offer most jackets in "long".

Have you read "Dress for Success?" Great book.

My ancient memory may not serve, I'm not buying suits anymore since I'm close to not NEEDING them for the rest of my life (yay!) and I'm a woman, to boot, and the rules are different for us. BUT, I seem to remember that dark blue was a better choice.

Anyone else have a better memory for this?

FinanceDude said:
Try Men's Wearhouse........they can work with all body types, and you can get a nice suit for $300 or less........... ;)
FD beat me to it. The guy on their commercials says you won't be disappointed.

Caroline said:
Have you read "Dress for Success?" Great book.

My ancient memory may not serve, I'm not buying suits anymore since I'm close to not NEEDING them for the rest of my life (yay!) and I'm a woman, to boot, and the rules are different for us. BUT, I seem to remember that dark blue was a better choice.

Anyone else have a better memory for this?

Dark blue, or gray; white shirt, small pattern paisley tie in yellow.

Khan said:
Dark blue, or gray; white shirt, small pattern paisley tie in yellow.

I read the book and followed the system. I recall my neighbors
used to accuse me of mowing my lawn in a 3-piece suit. Now?
I frequently go into town smelling of fish and with 2-3 days worth of beard;
in faded/stained sweat pants. Oh, how the mighty have fallen!
(I still clean up good though). :)

JG

soupcxan said:
I'm a 24 year old guy, 6 feet and 140 lbs. Therefore, I'm pretty skinny. I need to buy a new suit
McDonald's has a dollar menu where you can get a double cheeseburger and medium fries for $2. I'd think that for a couple hundred bux, you could bulk up and fit into a off-the-rack Walmart $100 suit in no time.

Oh.....sorry.......this isn't the obesity epidemic thread is it?

Now be nice guys (and girls). "The kid" is 24 and will be working for many, many, many, many years. Be good to him, since he will be paying for our SS till well into the future ;) ...

Reminds me of my first interview when I got out of the USAF. As I recall, I went to "Robert Hall" (blast from the past) and paid less than $50. Of course, it helped me get my first job at $3/hr. (and I had a wife and son to support). That was back in early '71.

The good old days? (I think not... :mad: )

Ron'Da said:
Now be nice guys (and girls). "The kid" is 24 and will be working for many, many, many, many years. Be good to him, since he will be paying for our SS till well into the future ;) ...

Reminds me of my first interview when I got out of the USAF. As I recall, I went to "Robert Hall" (blast from the past) and paid less than $50. Of course, it helped me get my first job at $3/hr. (and I had a wife and son to support). That was back in early '71.

The good old days? (I think not... :mad: )

Robert Hall! I used to work there nights between my fulltime job
and night school (long time ago). I mainly recall I dreaded going
in to work (I was in sales) but that I was quite good at it. Once
sold a guy 2 suits, a topcoat and a bunch of shirts/ties. My bosses
were impressed. Only did this for about a year and then started
my own accounting/bookkeeping service, also as a sideline.
In fact, throughout most all of my 20s I had a full time job, a part time job,
and was attending college at night (plus I was married with a family).
Honestly, I don't know how I did it.

JG

I was of similar build in my younger days. Any reputable men's store will have a tailor and can adjust a suit to fit you. I have only one suit from Jos.Banks. It's a dark grey charcoal with hard to notice pin stripe.

A check on the web shows Jos.Bank has a sale going on now. Regular $495, now $199

I cannot imagine getting an all black suit. I have never seen anybody wear such a suit.

Let's take up donations for sending him to Hong Kong for tailoring. I want him to get a real good job at or above the SS tax cap.

JG - I'm still trying to picture you in a 3-piece suit. How about a picture of that with or without lawn-mower.

Tadpole said:
JG - I'm still trying to picture you in a 3-piece suit. How about a picture of that with or without lawn-mower.

Sorry. Can't do it. I have neither the patience nor the technical skill
to post photos, which is too bad. Plus, I no longer own a suit.

JG

Which Robert Halls did you work at JG? Perhaps the one on Irving Park Road just south of Cicero Avenue?

I had one in the 70's (Sear's:confused:? I think).

Of course I also had some weird 70's clothes: disco shirts, bell/flared slacks/leisure suit.

Before Katrina - had a 15 year old charcoal Italian job - chevron patterned that looked black at first glance.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - it's good to be old and fat: 42 Long at Salvation Army last July - suit, tie, dress shirt, dress shoes - right at $30. One wedding, one funeral. Hopefully back to the bibb overalls.

unclemick2 said:
heh heh heh heh heh heh - it's good to be old and fat: 42 Long at Salvation Army last July - suit, tie, dress shirt, dress shoes - right at $30. One wedding, one funeral. Hopefully back to the bibb overalls.

I like the way you think!

I'll be driving from Chicago to south Texas in late December to do a little fishing. Where in Missouri should I honk the horn so you'll know I'm passing through? Are you somewhere SW of Rolla?

LOL! said:
I cannot imagine getting an all black suit. I have never seen anybody wear such a suit.

Johnny Cash, the "Man in Black." Said he saw injustice in the world and wouldn't wear other than black until he saw the end of it. He never did.

Have tickets to see his daughter Rose Ann who is coming to Chicago.

I work in a College of Business at a major university. All of our young men wear black suits to the career fairs and interviews. Never blue, even though they all bleed blue and white here. It seems to work. Placement is 95% within 3 months of graduation. 3% go to higher education. The other 2% probably wore blue or gray suits.

LOL! said:

Mormon missionaries.

Ha

HaHa said:
Mormon missionaries.

img_433834_0_62f0ef67d827152b3f1a51141f50615f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom