Do You Remember

Outtahere

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?
It took five minutes for the TV warm up?
Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?
Nobody owned a purebred dog?
When a quarter was a decent allowance?
You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?
Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?
All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?
You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you gottrading stamps to boot?
Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?
They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . .and they did?
When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?
No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?
Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a ..."and playing baseball with no adults to helpkids with the rules of the game?
Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today?
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home? Basically we were in fear for ourlives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Send this on to someone who can still remember.
Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy, Howdy Doody and the Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.
As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar. Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that?"
I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a double dog dare to pass it on. To remember what a double dog dare is, read on. And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

How many of these do you remember?
Candy cigarettes
Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.
Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes.
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.
Newsreels before the movie.
P.F. Fliers
Telephone numbers with a word prefix....(Cherry 1-2944.)
Party lines.
Peashooters
Howdy Doody
45 RPM records
Green Stamps
Hi-Fi's
Metal ice cubes trays with levers
Mimeograph paper
Beanie and Cecil
Roller-skate keys
Cork pop guns
Drive ins
Studebakers
Washtub wringers
The Fuller Brush Man
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
The Fort Apache Play Set
Lincoln Logs
15 cent McDonald hamburgers
Jewel Tea man
5 cent packs of baseball cards with that awful pink slab of bubble gum Penny candy
35 cent a gallon gasoline
Jiffy Pop popcorn

Do you remember a time when...
Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, Do Over!"?
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?
It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?
A foot of snow was a dream come true?
Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?
"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?
Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
War was a card game?
Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

wow ... that was fun! thnx.

.26.9 a gallon gas.

The 96 octane from sunoco at the time was 33.9 a gallon.

I was pumping gasoline in 1970 sunoco station on rt 9 northbound into NYC at 5am 9 pumps had to move fast.

Laying on the floor in front of the radio listening The Lone Ranger,
Taking the bus to the Blue Mouse Theater to watch the Saturday afternoon western serials,
Library dates listening to plays on the phonograph as we prep'd for lit exams, then dancing to the sound of the car radio.

Ah yes, I remember it well!

newguy888 said:
.26.9 a gallon gas.

I was pumping gasoline in 1970 sunoco station on rt 9 northbound into NYC at 5am 9 pumps had to move fast.

My dad complaining that the "US was going to heck in a henbasket" because gas went up to 30 cents a gallon........... :D :D

newguy888 said:
.26.9 a gallon gas.

I was pumping gas a a tree pump station on Rt 9 north OUT of NYC in Cold Spring, NY. Gas was about 30 cents a gal and we had to wash windows, check oil, and fill up low tires. I got the occaisional tip.

Mike D.

I remember every one of those things -- and fondly. But I wouldn't for a moment want to go back - they were attractive because we were kids. As current day adults, I expect most of us would find the fifties stultifying. Women were treated as vassals in the workplace (heck, they still had hours for women in the dorms when I started college), blacks couldn't even get in the door (remember the next line after eeny, meeny, miny, mo? - or was that just in Chicago?); gays - fuhgedaboudit. The workplace was much more regimented. Driving drunk was mandatory.

Sorry for raining on the parade. ;) The list is still fun to remember.

Wow, metal ice trays with levers and roller skate keys, two things I had completely forgotten but now bring back vivid memories.

Ah, to return to a time of eating candy dots on a roll of paper and chewing candy cigarettes.

And kids playing baseball w/o parents...somehow I question the so-called 'progress' we've had since then.

Thanks for the memories,

John

I withdraw my bah - humbug post. Those memories are too pleasant to soil with some after the fact revisionist stuff. It was sure nice to be a kid when you could leave the house on your bike after breakfast and not return until dinner and no one got freaked out.

I will get with the season :angel:

Oh, yeah -- and sneaking downstairs with my brothers after the OPs (old people) went to bed to watch Shock Theater.

Outtahere said:
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?

female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

Was this ever true? Not by my memory, but it only go back to the early 60s.

OK, how many of you remember Andy Devine and the show where Froggy used to pop out of the grand father clock? Do you remember what Froggy said when he popped out?

I'd love to see if anyone remembers?

73ss454 said:
OK, how many of you remember Andy Devine and the show where Froggy used to pop out of the grand father clock? Do you remember what Froggy said when he popped out?

Sheesh man! You must be a really old twanger. ::)

73ss454 said:

"Hiya, kids, hiya, hiya!"

Now, "plunk your magic Twanger Froggy" :D

There was one extra Hiya but that was good.

Makes me feel better that someone remembers. :D

dmpi said:
Was this ever true? Not by my memory, but it only go back to the early 60s.
In California at least as late as the mid-Seventies the female teachers would have their hair done up and have makeup on. About 50/50 for skirts/slacks. And the lone male teacher in my elementary school (the guy who administered the swats as needed) wore a coat, I don't remember if he also wore a tie. And, it seemed like every classroom had an Autoharp-a musical instrument I've never seen anywhere else. Public schools were the norm for our middle-class neighborhood--and the educaton was solid. I only knew one person who went to a private (parochial) school.

UncleHoney said:
"Hiya, kids, hiya, hiya!"

Now, "plunk your magic Twanger Froggy" :D

Sounds kinda kinky... >:D

I don't remember much of the 50s, but I started elementary school in 1960, and remember much of the madness/craziness that was the 60s. Our small town still had a couple of gas stations and restaurants on US31, from before the interstate, but they're long gone. Next town over had Cliff's Drive-In, with phones for ordering, at one end of the strip, and the Park 'n' Eat, with carhops, at the other end. No national chains of any kind; still had local hardware, grocery, furniture, and clothing stores (Watson's, Coonie's, Vest's, and Gladstein's). Hancock's and Lagenaur's drug stores still had soda fountains. Listened to WLS-AM in Chicago at night after WAKY-AM in Louisville faded out in the evening...

Outtahere said:
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?

female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

They "did" their own hair every day, as did most women. Ladies slept in curlers (ouch).

Most professional women wore high heels, teachers wore "sensible" heels (not very high). Take a look at the feet of older fashionable women, they often have contorted toes as a result of wearing that footwear.

I was cleaning out some toys that my Mom passed along, found those old skates but not the key.

Brat said:
They "did" their own hair every day, as did most women.

Actually, a lot wore wigs. My DW looks like a member of one of the 60's girl groups on American Bandstand with her's on (of course, in her Catholic School uniform, she really looked hot ;) ...)

In going through the stuff Mom set aside is one of those wigs!!! I think I will take it down to the hair dresser to find out what it's made of. Maybe when Mom passes it on I will offer it to my PIA sister as her part of our inheritance ;)

Wigs, girdles, garters, and unpleasant feminine hygiene solutions. Man I am glad I live in an era where it is easy to get dressed! I remember seeing my two elderly great aunts amazing lace up girdles hanging in their bathroom.

Spirella_527.jpg

Martha said:
Wigs, girdles, garters, and unpleasant feminine hygiene solutions. Man I am glad I live in an era where it is easy to get dressed! I remember seeing my two elderly great aunts amazing lace up girdles hanging in their bathroom.

Spirella_527.jpg

Oh.my.gawd, I hear ya! What about panty - d*mn - hose? Pantyhose (Leggs and others of that ilk) was suppose to "liberate" us from the restraint of girdles. I think not! Oh and don't get me started on the belt :mad:. Thanks goodness I was a child when those contraptions were around. Only you ladies from the 60's and before would know what I'm referring to.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I remember dating an international student in the early 60's. He remarked that American girls wore too much underwear. He was talking about those girdles.

Back
Top Bottom