Thoughts about an Early Retirement Forum "convention"?

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just curious how many would attend some kind of event where we could meet each other.

I've heard of other forums, chat-rooms, etc. who have had these, but I've never attended one.

Any thoughts?

Quit a few people on an RV forum that I used to frequent meet up at various events, like the balloon festival in New Mexico. Many seem to have become pretty good friends. They are a different sort of bunch than we are though.

gindie said:
Just curious how many would attend some kind of event where we could meet each other.

I've heard of other forums, chat-rooms, etc. who have had these, but I've never attended one.

Any thoughts?

I have met other people from the internet, though not from this site. Presently, I can not travel far from home (SW Ohio).

Peaceful_Warrior said:
I would strongly consider a west-coast meeting.

Vegas was the first thing to come to my mind.

gindie said:
Vegas was the first thing to come to my mind.

That would work. My wife has been wanting to see shows there, and by then our son should be on solids so we can dump lovingly share him with our parents for the week.

I could probably get in a little bit of Hold'Em as well while I'm at it.

I'll submit a vote for Manhattan Beach, CA for the West Coast convention. Close to LAX, nice beaches and plenty of things to see :cool: er eh, to do....

There are a $hitload of Texans here, clumped around DFW, and Austin/SA/Hill Country, so maybe a TXFIRE convention, with lots o' Lone Star :dead: and BBQ :smitten:...

As for traveling, I'll probably not be globetrotting much until my future employment, or lack of same, works itself out, but I have been thinking about a little roadtrip, if/when the ax falls...

I really do need to meet some of y'all, since the only one I've met so far is JG... :p

Soooo - Kansas City/middle America is not high on the list:confused:?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - ?Missoula in summer? - just kidding!

HFWR said:
There are a $hitload of Texans here, clumped around DFW, and Austin/SA/Hill Country, so maybe a TXFIRE convention, with lots o' Lone Star :dead: and BBQ :smitten:...

Let's meet at Coopers in Llano. No Lone Star :p but plenty of Shiner Bock.
img_477173_0_b5a4d11c07fe46d6ef303951e2009483.gif

HFWR said:
a flock of birds
a swarm of bees
a herd of cattle
a pack of wolves
a school of fish
a gaggle of geese
a swarm of flies
an army of ants
a brood of hens
a troop of monkeys
a bed of oysters
a drove of sheep
a knot of snakes

... and
a @hitload of Texans !

Vegas works for me!!!! Six hour drive and plenty to do including the dam & lake as well as reasonable room rates if we contact a hotel and do not book around major conventions!

T-AL mentioned on another thread we should get some map up with locations, maybe we could get regional meet ups going and see if we get a few chapters established before planning a national convention...

Dory, if you are looking, didn't you post once a map that showed where people were logging in.

With apologies to the underrepresented members outside North America, here is the traffic for the last few weeks:

Attachments

• namerica.gif
    namerica.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 92
  • namerica.gif_thumb
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
  • states.gif
    states.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 85
  • states.gif_thumb
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
I have attended 4 local (southern Cal) Vanguard diehards meetings, two of which I "hosted" in the sense that I chose a restaurant and sent out an email. I would be willing to try that with this group, it may be that local "chapters: would work better than a national convention although diehards have both.

Anyone want to meet in the Pasadena CA area send me an email yakers#cheerful.com (you all know the # is really an "@") and we can pick a date and restaurant and see what happens.

I'll invite the people from Fargo and from Winnepeg over for a party.

Interesting all the great lakers.

By the way, do I have to make the observation regarding RV'ers and their willingness to get together at random central sites? ;)

You could probably produce the same effect with this crowd by offering free beer or giving away a free $20 to anyone who shows up. :LOL:

Agee that the square states are not well represented. I think I am the only one in my state...at least I fell that way much of the time. 8)

HFWR said:
That'd ruin next Wednesday's weigh-in, though.
Which you may have noticed, I'm not participating in...and wont be!

Considering my weight fluctuates 6-12lbs a day based on how hot it is out and how much water I drank, I think i'll pass. Ticks my doctor off to see me at 228 one day and 218 the next.

So how about martha harry brings the brownies and I'll make steak au poivre and bananas foster for everyone? Little side of the best garlic mashed you've ever had? :LOL:

Steve - since you're from a square state, where its my observation that all the good beef comes from - you bring the steak...? :)

Hmm...lousy real estate appreciation and good beef...wheres the correlation...?

Khan said:
I have met other people from the internet, though not from this site. Presently, I can not travel far from home (SW Ohio).

Judging by the concentration on the "hit map", Ohio'd be the geographical center of most of the posters.

-CC

Back
Top Bottom