What's your middle name?

sgeeeee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What is your middle name? Do you use it? Like it?

I have no interest in this at all, but it seems like the kind of thread that has been very popular lately. Almost everyone can respond so the thread goes on and on for weeks. If this takes off, I may ask for initials next. :):):D:D

Elaine and I only use it when signing legal docs. I do like it though.

Will it annoy you more if I do or dont comply? :)
I can't be annoyed, Fuzzy. :)

And by the way, mine's Michael. My parents named me John Michael but for some reason decided to call me Michael. I spent my whole life filling out forms that asked for first name, middle initial, last name -- then correcting everyone when they called me John.

Huh? . . . This middle name thing does not seem to be gaining much traction. The only responses are CFB who responds to almost any thread that provides some sort of comic potential (by the way, I understand and endorse that behavior entirely), plus my Phoenix-based ERs who are probably trying to show some sort of solidarity and keep me from complete embarassment (a mission that is certainly doomed to failure).

Let me provide more details. My mother's middle name was Maude. She hated that name and avoided giving it unless backed into a corner and forced. My father has no middle name. When he went into the Navy during WWII, they assigned him the middle name of "NONE". That name stuck with him for all kinds of official documents. My older brother, like me, ended up being known by his middle name rather than his first name.

Am I the only one with stories to tell? Elaine and Hiroshi obviously have told at least part of their stories. :eek: :eek: :eek:

My guess is that everyone is off doing something except in Phoenix where, even though it is mild, people stay indoors more during the summer.

I have one of those snobby English names with the 3rd on the end. Remember Charles from M*A*S*H. His name was Charles Emerson Winchester III. My name is like that.

But I never use my first name, I always am called by my middle name. My first name is just for legal documents and is usually abbreviated. Like this: C. Emerson Winchester III.

I like my middle name. Don't care for the first so much.

Growing up, I was always told that I didn't have a middle name, but my mother occasionally used a middle name when taking me to task when I had done something wrong. In the military, I had to use "nmn" on any form that required a middle name. However, in my early thirties, my mother gave me my original birth certificate -- it had a middle name, but not the one she used when I was young. She never explained the inconsistency. I have used the actual name on my birth certificate ever since.

I can't be annoyed, Fuzzy. :)

I believe i've already demonstrated on numerous occasions that this is fundamentally untrue! :)

Next question...is compliance responding to the thread as asked to provide the middle name information, or is compliance joining you in your quest to show that many posts have limited beneficial/actionable information and are more common conversation?

Oh hell. I was named after my great grandfather, the palace guard. Never cared much for it.

At some point one should draw the line as far as info revealed on a message board, but I'm not quite sure where that should be. Oh well. Anyone could say the following - -

I love my middle name because it was my grandmother's first name, and she was a truly remarkable woman. For those who want a clue as to what my middle name is, I will tell you that it is also a very apt middle name for someone who lives in New Orleans.

I use my middle name occasionally, though most know me by my first name.

I will tell you that it is also a very apt middle name for someone who lives in New Orleans.

Hi Nagan!

it had a middle name, but not the one she used when I was young. She never explained the inconsistency. I have used the actual name on my birth certificate ever since.

Maybe she just didn't want anyone to know that she named her son "Gumby."

My middle name is Margaret .Having been raised Catholic we got our middle names when we were confirmed(at age 8).The day of my confirmation the priests were going on how the holy ghost was upon us .At that second a storm hit the church causing the lights to go out and terrible claps of thunder .Scared the crap out of me .I was sure it was the holy ghost .

My middle name is my mom's maiden name. My brother has the same middle name. (It's customary in the Philippines to have the mom's last name as one's middle name--it's the Spanish influence.)

I like my middle name because it is hard-sounding, strong-sounding unlike my first name which is really feminine; however, I only use my middle name's initial when putting down my name or signing it. It seems one's mother's maiden name has become confidential info; credit card companies often ask for it as the answer to one of those confidential questions for identity verification.

my middle name is my given name, but was changed to an "american" name when we moved here and after a few years of trauma in elementary school, we changed all the kids names. so we now all have names that barbie would befriend.

what's the next thread? post your ss#?

Like most females born in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, my middle name is Marie.

Maybe she just didn't want anyone to know that she named her son "Gumby."

Actually, my brother Pokey got the short end of that stick.

It starts with an O.

Contrary to that old Seattle joke: I am NOT a refugee from Minnesota, have never visited, lived there and ancient relatives are from Michigan. There are no known/admited Norwegians among my ancestors. I never use my middle name except under extreme duress.

Heck I rather be acused of being a blond teenager from Missoula than use my middle name.

heh heh heh :rolleyes:

mom gave my brother & i really good middle names. just from the sound you can tell she considered the melodic qualities when formulating the full names, each full name a staccato 5-beat. fortunately mom was an excellent pianist and so her ear for music came well into play on our naming.

Back
Top Bottom