Uninsured and undersured automobile coverage

summer2007

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this?

If you have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage it pays for your damages if another driver hits you that is either underinsured or uninsured. And they way I understand it this is a good insurance to have because you can have a lot of lost income and pain and suffering that your health insurance (assuming that you have health insurance!) would not cover.

But if YOU hit another driver and the accident is your fault, or if you get hit by a falling tree, or run off the road are you totally uncovered for it from an auto insurance policy even with underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage?

Jim

If you are at fault for an accident, then your collision coverage (if you have coverage) pays for your vehicle, and your first party benefits (medical payments, etc) pay for your injuries. If you do not have medical payments, or if the amount exceeds the amount of coverage you have, your personal medical insurance is usually the next in line.

Uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage will pay compensatory damages which an insured (you) is legally entitled to recover FROM THE OWNER OR OPERATOR OF AN UNINSURED OR UNDER INSURED VEHICLE because of bodily injury sustained by an insured. This coverage is OBVIOUSLY not meant to pay you for injuries you sustain in an accident for which you are at fault, however, that doesn't mean there aren't some attorney's out there that wont try.

But if YOU hit another driver and the accident is your fault, or if you get hit by a falling tree, or run off the road are you totally uncovered for it from an auto insurance policy even with underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage?

Well these three instances are all different. The first mean's you're at fault. The purpose of the um/uim coverage is so that you're protected if you sustain injuries for which you are not at fault. In any case, you should be carrying adequate medical payment coverage on your automobile policy in case you are injured.

**Keep in mind, I am a Pennsylvania agent, and that laws may be different depending on the state you reside in**

Oh also, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage specifically excludes punitive or exemplary damages.

.... uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage ....
Jim

Jim:

This is extremely important insurance coverage to have. No less then 1/2 million, in my view. Why? You hear about all those folks out there who are illegal aliens? Majority don't have drivers licenses or insurance. You get hit by one of them and you're on your own. Also, lots of folks carry their states minimum insurance. Let's say one of these guys T-bones your car. You lose a limb. Guess what, ever try to get blood from a stone. Sue them? Go ahead. Most of those folks are judgment proof. No money to get from them. Once more, you're on your own.

Once had a conversation with an attorney. He told me horror stories about a guy who was on his motorcycle and was hit by another driver. Lost his leg. The other driver had (I forget here) either no or minimum insurance. Not good.

Please, get yourself this insurance.

Rich

Jim:

This is extremely important insurance coverage to have. No less then 1/2 million, in my view. Why? You hear about all those folks out there who are illegal aliens? Majority don't have drivers licenses or insurance. You get hit by one of them and you're on your own. Also, lots of folks carry their states minimum insurance. Let's say one of these guys T-bones your car. You lose a limb. Guess what, ever try to get blood from a stone. Sue them? Go ahead. Most of those folks are judgment proof. No money to get from them. Once more, you're on your own.

Once had a conversation with an attorney. He told me horror stories about a guy who was on his motorcycle and was hit by another driver. Lost his leg. The other driver had (I forget here) either no or minimum insurance. Not good.

Please, get yourself this insurance.

Rich
I agree fully. We have uninsured/underinsured coverage, although not as much as you mentioned; being retired and good medical coverage reduces the financial impact of medical problems from any source.

My only point was that generally, ALL insurance excludes punitive or exemplary damages.

On a more encouraging note, I've noted that an increasing percentage of the accidents in my area caused by dipshits (drunk/uninsured/unbelted/etc) seem to be fatal to said d.s., while the normal citizen survives. Hopefully, not just a fluke in the statistics.

Thanks Cbear1883 Gearhead Jim and Rich

I do have underinsured and uninsured insurance but I was thinking about and thinking that even though I have it there are many ways that I still would not be covered in an accident.

I do have health insurance.

I have heard of people that have pulled out from a stop sign after looking both ways and got hit by someone doing 70mph and it was ruled thier fault!

So I don't know. I see what people mean about having the insurance it would really help out if you did get in a bad accident.

My worry is that it only covers one senerio and I'm not covered (other than my health insurance) if I'm at fault and I don't know about other things like if a tree fell on my car or whatever.

Jim

I have it. Many states have laws that require insurance. Because we abide by the law, it is easy to assume others do also. Not the case. Better to be safe than sorry. However, it does cost you.

What I do not understand is how vehicles are licensed if they are not insured. The insurance companies have all kinds of information. Why don't they share it with the DMV so the license can be revoked immediately if insurance is dropped.

If someone is caught, have zero tolerance. No registration of a vehicle of any kind for 10 years and no license for 10 years.

Plus be ordered by the court to work and pay restitution or go to jail... Along with a stiff fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom