Asparagus question

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
It's asparagus season here in Ohio. I eat some almost every day.

Question: can asparagus be eaten raw?

Sure can.

My favorite is drizzled with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt and thrown on the grill for just a minute.

Neat. Interesting there are several things about it.

Last edited:
If you eat it raw it can't melt the butter.

I sometimes blanch mine for a bit... makes those stalks easier to chew but everything is still nice and crispy.

Oh my. I absolutely LOVE steamed asparagus. Lemon juice and a tiny bit of melted butter. Ooooh, yes. I think I'll have some for dinner tonight. Thanks for the idea.

I will just ignore the pee talk! :2funny:

I used to eat it raw after picking. Now I would hose it off first.

I love it with a quick saute in garlic oil and the sqeeze a fresh lemon with some red pepper flake on it. Really feeling extravagant and I toss some toasted almonds on as well.

Usually I sauté it with a bit of olive oil and butter, served with a dash of soy sauce. Today I also threw in some spinach.

I'll try it raw tomorrow in a salad.

I tried some purple asparagus recently - sauteed it with olive oil & garlic, then spritzed on some lime juice (would have used lemon, but had none). Delicious! - it turned green when cooked.

I did a couple of hits of purple asparagus once, at a Black Sabbath concert... O0

I make a mean potato-and-asparagus soup.

What poop on lemons is ok. But now pee and asparagus isnt! Why I NEVER

open a window and put the exhaust fan on. then on high heat, burn butter in pan. sprinkle a little salt. drop in asparagus. flash burn all sides to charred. remove from pan and eat before you have a chance to plate them; they are that good.

olive oil black pepper rock salt coat the spears lay them in one layer on a broiling pan, put under broiler until crispy and a bit carmelized. Eat.

here's my 'stuff from trader joes' asparagus pasta

1/2 a bunch of blanched or lightly grilled / sauteed asparagus.
cut into penne size nuggets

1 bag of bow tie pasta

1 bag of TJ's medium sized (frozen cooked shrimp) - just let them thaw out

3 heaping tablespoons of olive tapenade (any TJ's tapenade will work really)

1 heaping tablespoon of pesto

1/4 - 1/3 of a cup chopped sundried tomatoes (in olive oil)

-----------------------

just cook the pasta, strain, and mix in all the ingredients
immediately while the pasta is still hot. good hot or cold..

i've never measured any of this so adjust amounts to what looks good to
you..

-mike

Mmmm, like CF said, but grilling much longer and dousing with balsamic vinegar (which isn't raw, but oh so good!).

This Monday, I will be picking up an asparagus quiche at the local Mom's Apple Pie shop. I have been waiting for weeks but the local asparagus crop is not cooperating.

Mike D.

Back
Top Bottom