Washing Baseball Hats in the DISHWASHER???

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DO you use regular dishwashing detergent? DO you use the drying cycle? I have collected about 100 hats over the years........

If anyone has tried this, I would like to know how well it worked.......:)

When I've seen it done, you used a little plastic dome thing that went inside to help it keep its shape, you use dish detergent, and you didnt use the dry cycle.

If you use dishwasher detergent, I wouldn't use much. That stuff is harsh. Are you using a hat form? If not, they might go flying around in there. If you use regular detergent, don't use much, it could suds its way out of the dishwasher.

We wear baseball hats all the time. I wash them in the wash machine, a front loader. I used to dry them in the dryer but that is too hard on them, so I just make sure they are in the proper form and air dry them.

I wash them by hand with sprayer filled with oxyclean. Keeps my 10 year old, white, golf hat like new. Wash and then rinse in cold water and let air dry in proper shape.:D

I use regualar dishwasher soap -- but a light amount. I don't use hat forms. I only do them on the top rack. It all works well for me.

Coach

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try and let you guys know.......:)

Haven't washed any ball caps - When I wash my Tilley - I hand wash with bar soap and hang it to dry.

A guy I used to work with used one of those plastic cap form thingies in the dishwasher with a very low dose of dish soap. He always took them out and air dryed them.

I have tried it and it works great- but the DW got a little upset when I washed them with the dishes...

Find a suitable object to dry them over- to maintain the shape of the crown when drying- I used a bowl that I found in the dishwasher...

I've always just hand washed them in the sink with a little laundry detergent. I let them air dry pulled over a bowl or coffee can to help them retain their shape.

I throw 'em in the washer & dryer. Gives 'em that "50 mission" look.

Does the bill usually contain cardboard or plastic?

Does the bill usually contain cardboard or plastic?
Either one. We do top rack with Martha's plastic cap form and the regular amount of [-]full-strength lye[/-] dishwasher detergent, as well as the rest of the dishes. Leave it out in the sun to air-dry. Squeaky-clean, color-fast, and way better than bleach.

The cap form approach also works in a front-loading washing machine, although bleach is still an issue. I think the dishwasher approach came out of concern at tearing up caps in top-loader washing machines with plastic agitators.

I think the dishwasher approach came out of concern at tearing up caps in top-loader washing machines with plastic agitators.

Well, I kinda did that. The tub in my top loading washer now has some chunks out of it from the hat form getting stuck sideways and slamming the crap out of the top of the tub........busted the hat form and the tub has battle scars.......DW was NOT amused..........:D:D

Back
Top Bottom