Lessons Learned

popowich

Recycles dryer sheets
Ever want to go back and teach yourself a couple financial lessons?

You can't go back, but you can try to let a few other people learn from your mistakes.

Here are some of mine from biggest to smallest financial impact (I think)

Mistake #1 - I started investing in the early 2000's. I heard and knew that investing too much in your company stock was a bad idea, but I did it anyways. They even encouraged it by doing our 401K matches in company stock! Even worse that being just another loser story, I did make a good chuck of money when the price spiked. I sold it for about $40K, and no kidding, started reinvesting it and chased it all the way back down to $0.05 per share. D'oh! :duh: I should have used $20K to pay down my mortgage (doing the math I think I would be mortgage free now instead of 4 years form now...), put $3000 into my Roth (I think it was still $3K max then), paid off my first truck, put $8K into SPY, and at most put $2K back into the company and let a small % of the profits "ride". Not having that money now hurts. Not that I'm doing bad, but I'd be far better off. Add a new pool and deck to the house would have been chump change and now it's not even a financially responsible possibility.

Mistake #2 - Buying a brand new 2000 F-150. Not so bad when you are young and dumb (I'm still dumb BTW), they're fun, but then 5 years later I traded it in for another new 2005 F-150. The first one would have been fine, the second one was stupid. If I could do it over I'd have kept the first truck the full 8 years, still have been under 100,000 miles, and probably more happy than with my current truck that I view as a mistake.

Mistake #3 - Not paying extra principle on my mortgage from the start. Sure, it would tough then and I'm making more money now, but I was paying $100/month in principle when I first started. A night or two at home instead of going to the bar and adding an extra $100 in principle to my payments would not have killed me. I'm paying more on my payments now because I didn't pay less into them then.

Mistake #4 - Don't work for free. I have a second job for a while that paid nothing. Promises and promises and making riches when the place started making money. Yeah, it went bankrupt a little under two years from when they first came up with the plans. Don't waste your time working with shady salesman.

Mistake #5 - Bars. Drink Miller High Life Lite's at home, it's much cheaper.

-Raymond

popowich, not sure how old you are but you have one big thing going for you: you recognize these mis-steps and are likely to have learned something from them.. Imagine all the people out there right now still doing bone-headed things! The earlier you recognize what's going on the better position you are in to fix it. Today's the first day of the rest of your life, so keep reading and learning!! That's the first step to getting on a better track. Best of luck.

I wasted a lot of money on cars and motorcycles too. I don't know if I'd do it any differently since I got so much enjoyment out of them. But, I probably would have kept them longer at least, and tried to resist the urge to upgrade.

I would probably invest more of my salary into my 401K. I think I started at 10% in 1993, or it may have been 5%.

Maybe I should have had DD sooner, instead of at 40. Heck, she would be 20 now if I had her when I was 20. But I was ready now and financially secure.

If I listed all my dumb mistakes it would take forever but luckily I woke up in my early thirties and started saving . You are way ahead of most in the fact you realize your mistakes . Some of my friends are 60 and still don't get it .

Took me until I was 40 or so to realize that "pay yourself first" was indeed a very good idea.

i can write a Best Seller on my mistakes. Can't change anything now but what hurt me the most is not so much money down the drain but "opportunity lost", meaning those money wasted if wisely invested, today would make me a complete different person.

beside, i always thought of doing the right thing is the most boring thing on earth, right? u know, i rather eat fat food than salad, i rather drink at a bar than at home, i rather watch tv instead of working out, i rather go to a party than go camping, i rather be at a football stadium than at home watch the game on tv.......

enuff

Drink Miller High Life Lite's at home, it's much cheaper.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer. Drink water until you save a few $ for something with flavor.

-ERD50

Life is too short to drink cheap beer. Drink water until you save a few $ for something with flavor.

It's almost 4-1 cheaper to drink high life lite over sam adams. :p

Anyways, I make up for it by drinking Dunkin Donuts vanilla coffee instead of the regular crap.

You can get the DD coffee buy 1 get the 2nd half off at wal-mart.

-Raymond

Anyways, I make up for it by drinking Dunkin Donuts vanilla coffee instead of the regular crap.

You can get the DD coffee buy 1 get the 2nd half off at wal-mart.

-Raymond

To each their own I guess, but given the choice of one Sam Adams or four 'lite' anythings, I'd choose the SA any day. There's always good old water or ice tea when you are thirsty.

I'm not a fan of 'flavored' coffees either. Fresh ground/brewed, black, no sugar - let the coffee flavor come through. I should roast my own green beans, have not gone there yet.

-ERD50

There is a pile of the Sam Adams bottles in my garage.

To be honest I got sick of the Cherry Wheat. I'm good until next year.

I do enjoy a nice Guinness when fall/winter come around. :D

-Raymond

Mistake #4 - Don't work for free. I have a second job for a while that paid nothing. Promises and promises and making riches when the place started making money. Yeah, it went bankrupt a little under two years from when they first came up with the plans. Don't waste your time working with shady salesman.

Dont they call that "volunteering"?;) I think that the same could be said for taking on more at work without significant more pay or authority:p

(Four glasses of water + one Sam Adams) >>>>>> four Millers.

And besides, I usually see Sam Adams for about $6.99 a six-pack which is less than twice the price of Miller High Life (usually).

Eh, depends. Authority for more stuff is good. Authority for other people not so much. I'm good at managing me and my time, not so good or even a desire to manage other people. I prefer to leave them on their own and answer questions as they come up. Making me a manager would be career suicide. Which brings me to why do companies feel the need to promote people into supervisor/manager roles who were great workers but are not good managers? A whole new thread probably not even close to relevant to this forum. O0

-Raymond

For me the 30 pack of miller cans is $12.99, and a 6 pack of SA bottles is $7.99. A 4 pack of the Guinness cans is $6.99.

-Raymond

Don't buy more house than you really need. (have one now - my mistake - but we have a good 15 year loan at a low rate that helps diminish some of that mistake)

Big fancy houses are overrated in terms of quality-of-life. (unless of course you can really afford it (maids, groundskeepers, etc)

Make sure it's a good resale type house in a good resale location. (Fortunately mine is.) Buying something odd or out in the boonies where it can be slow to sell can cost you if your plans change.

You may think you know, but you never know.

Mistake #3 - Not paying extra principle on my mortgage from the start. Sure, it would tough then and I'm making more money now, but I was paying $100/month in principle when I first started. A night or two at home instead of going to the bar and adding an extra $100 in principle to my payments would not have killed me. I'm paying more on my payments now because I didn't pay less into them then.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was paying off my 30 year mortgage in 10 years. I didn't have the discipline at the time to save the money I wasn't paying. My next house I took out a big(ish) mortgage, invested the cash, and truly got started on autopilot investing. Now I'm FIREd at 52, and I think having a mortgage had a lot to do with that.

As far as the bars, when I was young and dumb and whatever, I liked to go to bars for the bands and the friendly social environment >:D. But I was broke, and I've always been cheap, so I would buy some beer, drink it in the parking lot, then go in and nurse a single all night long. If I got too sober I could always head back out to the parking lot to finish the 6er. Not recommending this course of action, and I doubt it would work in this era of heightened awareness of drunk in public. But it worked for me back in the day.

Harley

Like a great man once told me "I don't drink beer for the taste of it." :D

Ever want to go back and teach yourself a couple financial lessons?

You can't go back, but you can try to let a few other people learn from your mistakes.

Here are some of mine from biggest to smallest financial impact (I think)

Mistake #1 - I started investing in the early 2000's. I heard and knew that investing too much in your company stock was a bad idea, but I did it anyways. They even encouraged it by doing our 401K matches in company stock! Even worse that being just another loser story, I did make a good chuck of money when the price spiked. I sold it for about $40K, and no kidding, started reinvesting it and chased it all the way back down to $0.05 per share. D'oh! :duh: I should have used $20K to pay down my mortgage (doing the math I think I would be mortgage free now instead of 4 years form now...), put $3000 into my Roth (I think it was still $3K max then), paid off my first truck, put $8K into SPY, and at most put $2K back into the company and let a small % of the profits "ride". Not having that money now hurts. Not that I'm doing bad, but I'd be far better off. Add a new pool and deck to the house would have been chump change and now it's not even a financially responsible possibility.

Mistake #2 - Buying a brand new 2000 F-150. Not so bad when you are young and dumb (I'm still dumb BTW), they're fun, but then 5 years later I traded it in for another new 2005 F-150. The first one would have been fine, the second one was stupid. If I could do it over I'd have kept the first truck the full 8 years, still have been under 100,000 miles, and probably more happy than with my current truck that I view as a mistake.

-Raymond

At least you're paying for you own mistakes. I paid for my dad's dumb ass mistakes for ten years until I decided to cut him off. I was 13 when I started my own business. Ran it for ten years. Granted, even invested fully, all the profits would amount to about $100k all told, but imagine having $100k at 23 instead of $30k. I'd be on my way to my 2nd mil by now.

One of my biggest mistakes in the realm of opportunity lost is not having a trailing stop loss automatically set up on my investments - heck I didn't even know what a trailing stop loss was at the time.

I missed out on some really huge gains by getting scared and taking my profits off the table early, when I could have rode them for at least another 2x.

Not having a trailing stop loss also killed me in the dot com bubble.

I learned about this in the Nicholas Darvas book titled 'how I made 2 million dollars on the stock market'

Cheers,

Mitch

But I was broke, and I've always been cheap, so I would buy some beer, drink it in the parking lot, then go in and nurse a single all night long. If I got too sober I could always head back out to the parking lot to finish the 6er. Not recommending this course of action, and I doubt it would work in this era of heightened awareness of drunk in public. But it worked for me back in the day.
1981, Norfolk, "Rogues". During their weekly Ladies Nights, the local junior officers (most of them single...) would literally line up at the door and out into the parking lot. Bottles and cans from cases & cases of frosty beverages would be surreptitiously passed hand-to-hand among the groups waiting for 10 PM, when the "Chippendales" would be finished and the bouncers would start to let in the guys.

At 10 PM they'd open the doors to one guy per minute. The guys who were first in line usually struggled to survive the experience. I've often wondered how many future admiral's wives met their spouses that night... and how many of them actually remember it.

I always thought Rogues should have bought a license to erect (so to speak) awnings in the parking lot and sell their own frosty beverages to the patiently-waiting lads. I think a large percentage of the club's potential profits was (ahem) pissed away in that parking lot even before 10 PM rolled around...

One of my biggest mistakes in the realm of opportunity lost is not having a trailing stop loss automatically set up on my investments - heck I didn't even know what a trailing stop loss was at the time.

Cheers,

Mitch

I don't think stop losses are any panacea. You can get stopped out on a blip, and then see the stock skyrocket without you. Oh joy.

I'll throw out the same 'acid test' that I do for all the investment methods - if it works so well, show me a mutual fund that uses that strategy that has a long track record of beating a risk-matched index in both up and down markets.

And if not - why not?

-ERD50

First job was a paper route when I was 12, then baby sitting, then working at the grocery store the day I was old enough, and on and on. Sort of started saving when I was 25 but didn't get serious until I was 29. I wish I had started a lot younger.

I'm still learning a lot, but I wish I had started that education much sooner.

Back
Top Bottom