Elder needs help

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW looks in on an elderly woman who is legally blind. She can see a little but is getting worse. DW calls her and talks and visits weekly. Helps her go to the store, etc.

The woman's vision is almost gone now and she needs more help. She live in a small home and has very limited income. If she has more than SS... it would not be much.

She wants to remain home and not move in with her children. On the positive side a couple of her children have offered. Believe it or not only one of her children (all live locally near her) visit regularly.

What kind of government and charitable services are typically available to a widowed elderly person that need help. Can she get things like meals on wheels and a housekeeper to come in weekly? Are those services available?

Chinaco.....those services are definitely available and you can get more information from the local senior services center from the municipality that you live in. I also think there is government sponsered aid that she would qualify for and you can find that information from the state website.

DW looks in on an elderly woman who is legally blind. She can see a little but is getting worse. DW calls her and talks and visits weekly. Helps her go to the store, etc.

What kind of government and charitable services are typically available to a widowed elderly person that need help. Can she get things like meals on wheels and a housekeeper to come in weekly? Are those services available?

I think it might depend on the state. My sister in Connecticut cares for her quite elderly in-laws, both of whom are in their 90's. They receive meals-on-wheels, attend a senior care center during the day via transportion provided by the center, and a couple of other services that I can't recall right now. My sister was/is aggressive about obtaining any services for them that they need and for which they qualify. However, she did need to do the legwork in research, contacting agencies, etc.

Look in the blue pages for the number for the Area Agency on Aging. They should be able to put you in touch with the right person to help you obtain whatever resources are available in your area.

Back
Top Bottom