New Milestone!

DblDoc

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just ran my numbers and I have now officially passed 6 figures...in losses :eek: for the first time. I know. It won't be the last. No risk. No reward.

DD

Our losses in paper have passed 6 figures since the government announced that they would not bail out Lehman Brothers.

Nasty milestones for me too! My total net worth (all assets) is now just under the level it reached at the end of 2002. This is significantly lower than it was when I retired in 1999! And we had reached a new all time high in Oct of 2007, and gotten close again in May of this year.

And I wish I were only down 6 figures!

Audrey

I reached the 6-figure [paper] loss milestone for the first time on Friday too! Good times...:-\

If I look at our net worth, we are "only" down 70K for the past 12 months thanks to healthy inflows (60K) since last October (we are now back to 01/2007 levels). Our networth had been pretty stable from October 2007 to Mid September 2008 but it has plunged by more than 60K in the past month. Without taking into account inflows, our retirement accounts have lost $120,000 in the last year. So the market drop has pushed our retirement date back 2 years, so far...

I don't want to talk about it.
img_737918_0_63a18a1c7f3248ff7f22ad65f253b77c.gif

Including 2008's contributions to date, we passed the 6-digit number a couple of weeks ago. Now, I'm truly afraid to look. I keep thinking that we've ridden it down this far..... This mess has added several years to our retirement horizon, but at least we're healthy and able to work.....

Are we including equity in the house? Because if we are I'm down a quarter mil. If not, I'm "only" down about 60k. :p

Are we including equity in the house? Because if we are I'm down a quarter mil. If not, I'm "only" down about 60k. :p
No, decline in equity of the house has not been included in our net worth estimation. The downturn in the market has significantly changed our projection of when we can retire - bummer.

Just ran my numbers and I have now officially passed 6 figures...in losses :eek: for the first time.

I have around 6 figures in unrealized losses; 0 figures in realized losses. Big difference. My portfolio, even a little diminished, generates enough free cash flow that I shouldn't have to realize these losses unless there is a further remarkable decline in the economy. :)

Nasty milestones for me too! My total net worth (all assets) is now just under the level it reached at the end of 2002. This is significantly lower than it was when I retired in 1999! And we had reached a new all time high in Oct of 2007, and gotten close again in May of this year.

And I wish I were only down 6 figures!

My condolences!

Not counting my homes (I never do), my portfolio is still more than 2x the bottom it reached in Mar2003 (knock on wood). But then, you have been drawing on yours, while I still have my part-time income.

Yes, I think we all got our high in Oct2007, and recovering within a few percent of it in May2007. What happened was that the entire world was hit by a 2x4 coming from nowhere (actually from WallSt), just within the last few months.

Look at a stock that I had - Caterpillar (CAT). It was holding up relatively well compared to other stocks, then crashed hard in just 1 month. The reason was that it had significant business overseas, not just in the US. So it was immune to the US housing bust, until recently. Obviously, all that foreign construction may just stop and is discounted in the stock price. Or has all that construction already stopped?

Not knowing what to expect, I am not going to buy it back, having been stopped out earlier.

I wish my portfolio was large enough to have suffered a 6 figure loss:D

Back
Top Bottom