Phone number options?

Keyboard Ninja

Recycles dryer sheets
So AOL is going to cancel their free in-coming phone service on 13jan2009. Does anyone know if a free/cheap replacement? I liked it because I had a permanent Houston, TX number that my folks could call without charging them. I've thought about signing up for the Yahoo service but I really don't want to run into the problem of losing another number.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can't you switch to Yahoo, and using 'number portability' keep your current phone number? That's what I did when I switched cellphone service providers. I told my new cellphone service provider that I wanted to keep my old number that I'd had for years, and they took care of it. However, I had to have them switch it over BEFORE I canceled out my old service! If I'd canceled first, then my old number would have gone forever.

I'd contact Yahoo tech support to find out if that's possible.

BTW, when I contacted my new cellphone service provider about the matter, THEY took care of the transfer of my number, and the cancellation of my old service. All in all it took less than 10 minutes on the phone with customer service, and less than 5 minutes after that for the changes to take affect. Super simple!

I know that works for landline and cell phones, but I have always read that it doesn't work with VOIP type of services. Can't hurt to contact Yahoo, but AOL's email to me said it couldn't be transferred lol. With the advent of email I don't care if I lose the number anyways.

I know that works for landline and cell phones, but I have always read that it doesn't work with VOIP type of services.
Oh, it's VOIP....didn't realize that. And I no nothing at all about VOIP, as in the 'can do' and 'can't do' stuff like keeping phone numbers ans such. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom