What is the cheapest, relatively good drinkable wine?

I can't do Thunderbird. My father drank it out of a bottle in a paper bag and kept it under his chair.

I find the Yellow Tails are pretty decent.. Some Wal*Marts carry them in the $6 to $9 range. :p

Are you more interested in taste or the consciousness-altering capability?
If your goal is the latter, I believe science evidence points to Thunderbird.
(NEVER serve this in the presence of anyone you are trying to impress).

Well, unless he's a bum.

The smoothness needs to be experienced; mere words fail to get the feeling across.

ok, I think I might go for the Oak Leaf at $3. But they are only 12% alky so I would have to drink about 10% more for the same effect which tends to offset the price diff. I found a Vendance chard for $7 for a big bottle at a local Stop & Shop which wasn't bad but that may have been a special- we'll see. Since being educated by reading this board I have looked at my budget and concluded that I can drink the same amount of wine for about half my current wine budget at these prices. This is because of the recession. If I have to reduce volume, that's a depression!

I like the Fetzer label for table reds:

Fetzer Vineyards

Found this on sale for $6.99, :

Attachments

• IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 2
I drank Franzia Sunset Blush until recently. About $10 for a 3 litre box. Then Inglenook came out with their White Zinfidel in the 3 litre box for a dollar more and I was hooked. A much better wine.

Franzia Chillable Red ... 5 liter box ~$9.00 at Sam's or Walmart.:)

Mondavi Private something or other Reisling is a favorite in this house and it's on sale at Kroger for $8 this week I think.

Peter Vella Merlo on sale for $7.99. It's actually pretty smooth. I only drink maybe a glass a week, so I need something that won't go bad quickly.

Peter Vella Merlo on sale for $7.99. It's actually pretty smooth. I only drink maybe a glass a week, so I need something that won't go bad quickly.
People who drink wine very sparingly might be better off with wine in a box. Because of the packaging, wine in a box is likely to stay fresh for a longer period of time than wine in a bottle (the wine is usually in a vacuum-packed foil pouch which doesn't oxidize much when "opened" compared to an opened bottle of wine, and oxidation is an enemy of wine preservation.

Back
Top Bottom