Thinking about early retirement, but have a question

TimeToGo

Confused about dryer sheets
From 1973 to 1984, I worked for a company in Texas. I resigned from that company and hired into a company in Colorado and have been employeed at the company in Colorado since 1984.
Am I able to collect any retirement dollars from the company in Texas when I finally decide to retire?
I'm trying to get all of my ducks lined up before deciding to retire early.

If you are vested in the Texas company's pension plan, which you probably are for having worked there 9 years, then you should have a pension coming to you. Best thing to do is to contact that company's HR department and get details about the pension: how much it's worth, if it's COLA'd, if you can take a lump sum vs monthly annuity, at what age you can collect it, etc.

Thanks for responding

Joe, thanks for the information. I will call and see what's there.

It all depends on the plan from the Texas company. I worked for a company long enough to "vest" a pension there, but the formula to define the benefit was heavily weighted to favor the founders who were the only people there longer than 5 years. A few years after I had moved on to other employment I got a notice that they were ending the plan and would payout the "value" of my account. Based on the number of years until I could collect the pension, the projected value of the pension at that future time, discount for inflation and expected investment results of my account until I was retirement age, I received a check for $38. Pension plans have wide latitude about these kinds of rules, but with 10 or so years in service and 25+ years of investment returns you should verify with them what the value is. Hope you are pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom