Sat. TV

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Trying to get some idea as to what service cost. We use Dish Network but have been thinking of switching to Direct TV. I would like to get Fox Business and National Geo. so it would be Choice Extra on Direct. To get that on Dish it looks like I would have to go to Americas top 250 at $65 a month! Direct seems like the better deal. Just wondering if what others think.

What Sat. TV service do you use? Do you like it? How many tvs? DVR if yes how many?

Here:
1. Dish Network.
2. Americas top 120
3. HD 120
4. One DVR for two TV's
5. Price about $72

Direct TV, Bill is $80/mo for 3 TVs (one DVR), nothing HD.
Bill jumps up 4 months a year when I get NFL Sunday Ticket

When you compare, Direct TV is better unless you don't use the 200-300 channels they provide (dish provides fewer channels, so its possible for the basic package it comes out cheaper).

i can tell you, our OTTD cost of direct was about the same for a similar package. and yes, we got nat geo. we have since then cut service, but call and bargain with them and tell them you are thinking of jumping ship and see what kind of deal you can get, call both dish and direct. also, if you are switching to direct, find another customer and you each get $100 credit.

i think a phone call to dish network will get you upgraded for no cost, especially if you hint at switching. when i was thinking of canceling direct, i just mentioned the thought and they dropped the HD and DVR monthly fees. if i were to get started again, i would call and bargain with someone over the phone. and we just got a mailing begging for us to come back at rock bottom prices....

We've had DirecTV for about 6 or 7 years and like it a lot. We haven't upgraded to HD yet because we like our current TiVo unit that has 2 tuners with 2 30 minute buffers and their current DVR unit is not a TiVo brand. That's supposed to be coming up soon....

Our service is
Direct Choice Plus for 61.49
DVR service $7.00
3 additional receivers $5 each $15.00
Tax $4.61
Total $88.10

That's a lot of money for plain old TV, no movie channels or sports packages, but we like it and we use it. Moving up to HD would be another $10/month I think.

One gripe I have with DirecTV is that every year they ratchet up the price on one thing or another. Not too many years ago it was 51.99 for the same package of channels and $5 for the DVR service.

I like the available channels on DirecTV and the service and support have been good from my experience. Like any satellite heavy rain can knock out the signal. That doesn't last long. All in all this is much better than our cable ever was.

i think a phone call to dish network will get you upgraded for no cost, especially if you hint at switching. when i was thinking of canceling direct, i just mentioned the thought and they dropped the HD and DVR monthly fees. if i were to get started again, i would call and bargain with someone over the phone. and we just got a mailing begging for us to come back at rock bottom prices....

Right. Check comcast prices as well, but then call and tell them you're gonna change 'cause you want the channel but don't can't pay any more. I bet they give you 6 months upgrade at current price.

Well this thread got me on something I needed to do... I have Dish America/w locals which is an HD package. The cost is $30 per month plus $6 for the DVR and $6 for service plan... So, $42 plus tax...

Now, I did not pay for the service plan at first... but then lost a DVR and they sent me another one right away...

The one thing that gets me is it is hard to find exactly what is on what plan... as an example... we used to have Disney on the plan... now it is gone... the chat I just had with Dish is Disney does not want them to show their HD channel... sounds strange to me as you would think Disney would want to get the money... (and that is what this thread got me to do.. find out about it since DD had been asking for awhile)...

One of the benefits that I really like is the DVR. It holds a LOT more than my sisters who has Comcast or something... I have over 66 HD programs on it right now, most being at least one hour and many that are more... probably over 100 hours of recording... (recorded all of shark week)... and I still have 20 hours showing to record... if it were SD, I think I could record 400 to 500 hours...

I have thought of AT&T U verse, but it is not offered where I live...

i can tell you, our OTTD cost of direct was about the same for a similar package. and yes, we got nat geo. we have since then cut service, but call and bargain with them and tell them you are thinking of jumping ship and see what kind of deal you can get, call both dish and direct. also, if you are switching to direct, find another customer and you each get $100 credit.

I've had DirectTV for probably 6 years. Just a few months ago they called me to upsell some additional programming. In the process I mentioned that not only was I not going to spend more, I was considering looking elsewhere to save some money. They immediately said they could offer a better monthly rate by eliminating the HD fee and discounting my basic rate because of my long term status. Reduction of $20/month.

I really had no plans to leave them. I like DirectTV. But I'm kicking myself for not having negotiated with them before this. It really was not even a negotiation. They caved immediately. It's amazing the dollars that can sometimes be saved by just asking.

I've had Dish for the last four years, with two receivers (two "dishes"), one being HD and the other standard.

I have three "sets" running; one HD, two standard, and one via my desktop PC tuner card (on a 21" screen).

I went with Dish after looking at their offerings. While Direct TV caters more to the sports side (IMHO), I'm more interested in available standard channels/movies.

With the America 250 package (no premium channels) and all equipment/taxes, I pay $95/month. There is no charge for HD (that's their latest promotion; just call up and complain if you don't have it)....

I recently (beginning of the year) signed up with Dish network with a price guaranteed for a year. After six months they raised my price. Unfortunately I did not keep the flyer with the price guarantee on it, so I'm SOL. As a result I returned one of my tuners. I rewired my remaining tuner so I have Dish on three TV's with two set up so I have to watch the same program on each of them. My current cost is about $40 per month. When I lose the new customer discount I will be paying $10-$15 more for Dish than I will with the full price of cable. For the higher premium I get the same channels I watched on cable, I get to watch tv on fewer tv's, and I get to pay for any repairs and lose service during the many rain storms we have here.

I told the CSR when I called to complain about the price increase, I see no reason to continue with Dish after my discounts expire. Her response was in the long run you will pay less with Dish. I asked her how it is possible I pay less with cable; get more with cable; take less risk with cable, but I will pay more. All she could do was repeat that I will pay more for cable. I still haven't figured that one out. Maybe someone here can tell me. Exactly how will I pay less in the long run when I pay higher monthly premiums, and pay for repairs? The full price for cable has not gone up here in the last two years and cable is running a promotional $75 for cable, internet and telephone. When everything is bundled I will pay $30 less per month.

Expect to pay more in the future as local station fees increase - they have been among the lowest in the past.

If you want you monthly bill to decrease a new service or law would be needed that would allow you to choose the channels you want - the a la cart option.

I recently (beginning of the year) signed up with Dish network with a price guaranteed for a year. After six months they raised my price. Unfortunately I did not keep the flyer with the price guarantee on it, so I'm SOL. As a result I returned one of my tuners. I rewired my remaining tuner so I have Dish on three TV's with two set up so I have to watch the same program on each of them. My current cost is about $40 per month. When I lose the new customer discount I will be paying $10-$15 more for Dish than I will with the full price of cable. For the higher premium I get the same channels I watched on cable, I get to watch tv on fewer tv's, and I get to pay for any repairs and lose service during the many rain storms we have here.

I told the CSR when I called to complain about the price increase, I see no reason to continue with Dish after my discounts expire. Her response was in the long run you will pay less with Dish. I asked her how it is possible I pay less with cable; get more with cable; take less risk with cable, but I will pay more. All she could do was repeat that I will pay more for cable. I still haven't figured that one out. Maybe someone here can tell me. Exactly how will I pay less in the long run when I pay higher monthly premiums, and pay for repairs? The full price for cable has not gone up here in the last two years and cable is running a promotional $75 for cable, internet and telephone. When everything is bundled I will pay $30 less per month.

if you don't like your CSR, hang up and call back. repeat until you get the bill lowered.

I recently (beginning of the year) signed up with Dish network with a price guaranteed for a year. After six months they raised my price. Unfortunately I did not keep the flyer with the price guarantee on it, so I'm SOL. As a result I returned one of my tuners. I rewired my remaining tuner so I have Dish on three TV's with two set up so I have to watch the same program on each of them. My current cost is about $40 per month. When I lose the new customer discount I will be paying $10-$15 more for Dish than I will with the full price of cable. For the higher premium I get the same channels I watched on cable, I get to watch tv on fewer tv's, and I get to pay for any repairs and lose service during the many rain storms we have here. QUOTE]

Since cable in our area runs about $80/month including DVR I was planning to switch to Dish. They currently offer $33/month including DVR and taxes for the 1st 12month and $49/month thereafter with 2 year commitment.
I have a question regarding the comment above ("get to pay for any repairs"). What does this mean? When my receive fails with cable (TWC) I have to bring the receiver to one of their stores and get it exchanges. Does Disch not have this option?

They will send someone out to check you equipment first. If you don't have the service plan, which costs $6 per month the bill runs, IIRC, $90 an hour to have them come out. With the service plan it runs $20/hr at least that is what they told me when I signed up. There are some services included in the service plan for free, but I am unsure what all it covers.

I've had DirecTV for 13 years, 3 sets, no HD, no local stations (over-the-air antenna). I pay $69/mo including all fees.
Close to the same for us -- but with two sets, not three and a "Total Choice Plus" package which they don't offer any more. We also have lifetime DVR grandfathered in at no monthly charge and we do have HD (which they waived the $10 monthly fee for with automatic payments I can cancel at any time online). We do have locals provided but we also have an over-the-air antenna which we usually use for locals since the picture is better (even more than 60 miles away from the Austin tower farm).

My only complaint about them is that you have to jump through a lot of hoops and play what is called "CSR Roulette" by repeatedly calling until someone is willing to give you an unadvertised deal they are giving to some customers on request. I'd prefer not to play those games.

I recently (beginning of the year) signed up with Dish network with a price guaranteed for a year. After six months they raised my price. Unfortunately I did not keep the flyer with the price guarantee on it, so I'm SOL. As a result I returned one of my tuners. I rewired my remaining tuner so I have Dish on three TV's with two set up so I have to watch the same program on each of them. My current cost is about $40 per month. When I lose the new customer discount I will be paying $10-$15 more for Dish than I will with the full price of cable. For the higher premium I get the same channels I watched on cable, I get to watch tv on fewer tv's, and I get to pay for any repairs and lose service during the many rain storms we have here. QUOTE]

Since cable in our area runs about $80/month including DVR I was planning to switch to Dish. They currently offer $33/month including DVR and taxes for the 1st 12month and $49/month thereafter with 2 year commitment.
I have a question regarding the comment above ("get to pay for any repairs"). What does this mean? When my receive fails with cable (TWC) I have to bring the receiver to one of their stores and get it exchanges. Does Disch not have this option?

For me the service plan was included for 9 months... now I pay $6 per month... it paid for a new dish and installation when I moved... it paid for a new DVR when the one I had stopped working (and do not know why since it was plugged into a batter backup... so no surge got there... HMMM... did not think about the wire from the dish...)...

I have not had them out to look at anything... so do not know the cost per hour...

For me the service plan was included for 9 months... now I pay $6 per month... it paid for a new dish and installation when I moved... it paid for a new DVR when the one I had stopped working (and do not know why since it was plugged into a batter backup... so no surge got there... HMMM... did not think about the wire from the dish...)...

I have not had them out to look at anything... so do not know the cost per hour...

My plan was to cancel the service plan until I was ready to move. About a month in advance I was going to add the service plan, move it for free then cancel it again a month later. All of the equipment is new so if it doesn't break within the first 6-9 months it should be fine for several years, unless it gets hit by lightning. After not wanting to play CSR roulette, my new plan is to cancel the service agreement when the discount runs out, and cancel the Dish service when the discount runs out. As the expense for Dish increases to the cost of cable the extra services are being canceled. I already sent back the second tuner. I will be back to cable in about 4-5 months. At that point it will be much cheaper to buy internet, cable and phone service from the cable company. I will save my early termination fee within 3 months so it seems to be a no brainer to me.

A guy I work with had to have the tech come out to look at his set up because his picture was fuzzy. It turned out the run from the dish to the tuner was too long and he was losing signal strength. At least thats what the tech said. The tech drilled a new hole in the house closer to the dish and ran a new wire and the problem was fixed. I think it was just the old wiring had finally degraded to the point is was having problems carrying the signal, otherwise the picture would have always been fuzzy. My buddy had the service plan and said it cost him $20 to have it done.

I have DirecTV, 2 HD decoders, one DVD, no locals. Pay about $90 month.

Last January I called because for the second straight winter I kept losing the satellite signal on my HD box. (I may have been losing it on my SD box which I had at the time but rarely watched that TV so I can't say.) When I called on a Thursday to have someone come out it ended up being a 15 minute conversation with a tech person where I had to listen to him talk about everything from his diet to his love building his own PCs - because he was tryig to fix things at the receiver from his end.

We couldn't immediately duplicate the problem. It really was intermittent - anything from 6 times an hour to six times a day. Wasn't weather related either. And when it lost the signal it would pick it back up in under 10 seconds. That's when my patience with listening to this guy's personal life turned to my advantage... after 15 minutes it happened. I described it exactly... message, two swipes at the progress bar, signal back!

I didn't purchase the service plan. But this guy scheduled somebody to come out Saturday morning at no cost. He replaced the node or whatever on the dish because he couldn't find anything wrong and the signal strength was good. And I've never had any problems since then.

A couple more notes:

(1) When I swapped the SD receiver for a second HD one that tech person told me that I was contracted to return the SD receiver only, and that I can keep the remote as a spare or a "his/hers" thing. Kudos for that.

(2) Read your service agreement! You may get a "special rate" for the first 12 months but you usually sign up for 24 months. Make sure you know what you are signing. I knew about this because....

(3) When I swapped my SD for a second HD I "purchased" the box through Amazon. DirecTV just released their latest model in June and, believe it or not, DirecTV will NOT guarantee what model box they'll give you but Amazon can. DirecTV will give you whatever they have available locally. I was amazed at the number of negative comments on Amazon - all because of people's ignorance of DirecTV's policies. Before I purchased it through Amazon I called DirecTV and verified two things: That they do not guarantee what model you get and that they will extend the service agreement for 24 months from the date of activation.

It may sound like I'm critical of DirecTV. I'm not. The ONLY thing I can't stand is the need to walk through their voice menu to speak to a human being. Compared to Time-Warner cable - they are *the devil* - DirecTV is tops.

I finally switched to DISH last week.
They have an offer for $24.99 the first year. Add $6 for the DVR. Total including taxes is $33.00
This gives us a receiver with DVR for 2 rooms (1HD and 1Standard). Both rooms can access the DVR recorded shows.
The price is good for 1 year, it will increase by $15/month for the 2nd year, with a commitment for 24 month.
Picture quality is excellent so far. I am also able to access my DVR via the internet. I can schedule recordings when I am not a home, pretty slick.

Back
Top Bottom