Television on Wi-Fi?

How old are your TVs? I think almost all name brand smart TVs built in the past 10 years or so are wifi capable for streaming.

We cut the cord years ago but don’t us smart TVs. So long as you have an HDMI input you can us le a Roku or Fire stick or chrome cast. All a cheaper and easier solution than using the built in Smart TV interface. But if you don’t have good and fast WiFi at home you may need to upgrade your router. Most people use the router/modem their ISP provides and they are usually slow 2.4ghz models.

A good mesh router which is expandable is a joy!

I'm not on cable. I get a signal from DirecTV's satellite, via the receiver on my roof. How does something like Roku receive its signal? Via satellite?

Roy.
There are different Roku types. One is a small box that attaches to your internet service through an internet router connection via WiFi or Ethernet cable. The Roku box attaches to your TV through an HDMI cable or similar.

Another Roku type is a streaming stick. This plugs into a compatible USB port on your TV. Then the stick can receive a WiFi signal from your internet wireless router.

So the key for this type of TV internet streaming is a fast internet connection.

I'm not on cable. I get a signal from DirecTV's satellite, via the receiver on my roof. How does something like Roku receive its signal? Via satellite?

Roy.

No, Roku get its signal from the internet via WiFi.

If you have high speed internet service you can stream Directv over it using most modern streaming devices (i.e. $30 Roku). An alternative is the Directv Gemini Air device which is proprietary to Directv, but offers a remote that is more like a traditional TV remote than a remote on most modern streaming devices.

Back
Top Bottom