Dukan Diet anyone?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am considering the Dukan diet, and am wondering if anyone has tried it? If so, would oyu care to share the pros and cons, as well as success? Seems a bit like the old Atkins diet, and still considering, but parts are appealing...

DUKAN DIET-- not Dunkin donut diet- we WISH that was it! :)

Info is here: OFFICIAL US WEBSITE of The Dukan Diet

Essentially, you kick start the diet by eating protiens and nofat dairy for 2-5 days, then introduce veggies for the duration to get you to goal. Quantities are all you want, with no counting of any kind. Add to that 1.5 quarts of water per day.

After that, you introduce fruits and other foods.

Fad diet- probababy. But I wonder about no fruits for such a period.

You could read some Gary Taubes, his books discuss the idea of radically restricting carbs in much the same way this diet seems to. I know some people for whom an approach like this helped them lose considerable weight, and others who couldn't stay on such a low carb diet, or who were often confused about what foods were allowed or not, so never really tried it, although they thought they did. I have no idea about the health impact of such a diet. There are some long term diabetic diets that rely on low (perhaps not as low as this) carbs. I don't know of any reliable information about longer term health affects of using such low carb approaches. It seems to me that some people take to it better than others. Personally I suspect there is more individual variation in human metabolism than usually acknowledged. You have to find what works for you, yourself.

bizlady, I say go for it. Looks like lots of folks have had nice results and if the French are embracing this diet I think that is a good sign.

Kate Middleton should write a diet book, she did something exactly right.

She does look nice and slim... but I read this...

"She was a size 10 to 12 when she was at university – but experts reckon she’s now a size 6."

IMO a 6 is not thin, but a real nice shape... 10 to 12 is getting some lbs on....:hide:
Not in the before picture shown. She looks hot hot hot. Only a psycho or a gay would have turned her down.

Ha

"She was a size 10 to 12 when she was at university – but experts reckon she’s now a size 6."

IMO a 6 is not thin, but a real nice shape... 10 to 12 is getting some lbs on....:hide:

No wonder so many women suffer from eating disorders.

If it is English sizes, these run smaller than US sizes...so 10-12 is more like an 8-10 and a 6 is a US 4. :angel:

Bizlady -- if you try this diet, let us know how the results are. :)

She looked much healthier before. Hope she isn't working herself into an eating disorder.

I had lunch today with a friend who is doing the Dukan diet and he looks great after 19 days on the diet. Looks like he is 10 years younger.

He said he lost 5.5 lbs the first week, 4.5 the second week and 3 so far in this week. He is 6'2" and was 202 and is shooting for 170.

I have to say, I'm very tempted to try it. I'm 6'6" and weighed in at 207 this morning, so I could use about 20+ lbs of fat loss.

Very tempting and reading the blog below, I think I could stick to a diet of just chicken, fish, and lean steak, etc.
Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 21

Zero, did you decide to try this? After seeing your post and a TV piece about it, I ordered the book and am just starting day 3. So far so good. It's basically Atkins or Protein Power with a few changes that I hope will work well for me. Emphasis on low-fat protein, nonfat dairy is included, vegetables are OK early on (every other day), a required walk every day. And a real emphasis on how to safely go back to normal food (which has always been my downfall).

Zero, did you decide to try this? After seeing your post and a TV piece about it, I ordered the book and am just starting day 3. So far so good. It's basically Atkins or Protein Power with a few changes that I hope will work well for me. Emphasis on low-fat protein, nonfat dairy is included, vegetables are OK early on (every other day), a required walk every day. And a real emphasis on how to safely go back to normal food (which has always been my downfall).
Good luck, and hope it works for you. I agree, it's a lot like a low fat Atkins.

I did start on the diet and I have stuck to it very closely but I did have one or two minor slips. I have lost 9 lbs so far and at least 2 inches off the waist. My pants will fall off if not held up with a belt.

My daily routine does not vary much and I'm just about to end the Attack Phase.

Breakfast = 2 eggs worth of Southwestern Eggbeaters, about 1 oz of ham cubes, and 2 TBs of oat bran flavored with butter spray and salt/pepper.

Lunch = a chicken thigh with no fat or skin, seasoned with soul food salt, about a 1/4 cup of 0% fat cottage cheese. Alternate day is usually a piece of steak with very low fat.

Snack = handful of ham cubes or sliced deli turkey cold cuts.

Dinner = Fish, usually salmon or halibut or tuna steak. Alternate day is usually a hamburger steak with 10% fat ground sirloin.

I am never hungry. It is amazing to eat so little and not be hungry.

I think I will give this a try in late June when hubby is away on his fishing trip- or he will think he can eat all the meat he wants plus everything else! I am having a hard time finding the oatbran however- local stores do not seem to carry it...

Will probably use it as a kick start, and switch then to something more balanced.

Would love to hear more how Zero and Mmm Rrr are doing on the diet!

I believe that fat is not the enemy to weight loss. Most agree that a high carb diet will cause weight gain and insulin resistance as we age. Did you know that eating low fat, low carb, high protein does the same in some people. Protein, though inefficient, converts to glucose much the same as carbs.

Personally I eat a high fat, VLC, and moderate protein diet. Plenty of heavy cream, butter, coconut oil. I love fatty cuts of meat and pork. I try to stay away from chicken as it is high in omega 6's (dark meat and skin) and white meat chicken is way to low in fat for me. Everyone is different, but this works well for me.

Diet

We started the diet on May 10. DH is down 12 pounds fron 200 and me just 6 pounds from __. This diet is not for the faint of heart, very rough. I don't think we will make it much longer and will probably switch to Weight Watchers for the long haul. The Dukan diet is too restrictive and meat is becoming sickening. All that COOKING/GRILLING is also becoming too much.

I started this diet May 2 at 162. I lost 7lbs after a 5 day Attack. I lost 3lb (weight varies during the day though: 152-153lb) at the end of last week, and as of today I have lost another 2-3lb ( current wt. 150-152lbs).

Like Zero, I follow a routine.

Breakfast on pure protein (PP) days is usually 2 hardboiled eggs + turkey pastrami, porridge made from 2tbsp oatbran, skim milk, splenda and spices and coke zero. Alternately, I will add oatbran to a 2-egg omelet with the pastrami or smoked salmon as a filling.

Breakfast on protein veg (PV) days is a crustless quiche with whatever vegetable is on sale such as spinach, asparagus or broccoli on the side

Lunch PP: baked chicken thighs made with some sort of marinade such as a tikka paste or jerk paste and pancakes made with the oatbran

Lunch PV: turkey or bison burgers with lettuce and tomatoes; or baked pork on a bed of veggies

Dinner PP: More baked meat (ick), or grocery store rotisserie chicken

Dinner PV: shrimp and cabbage stir fry; or curried lamb stew with cauliflower "rice"; or baked tilapia seasoned with lemon, cilantro and thyme with broccoli

Dessert every day: Greek yogurt flavored with a crystal light

I don't snack because I'm not usually hungry. But I do keep some string cheese in the refrigerator at work for emergencies.

I do cheat. For example, the quiche contains cream. I eat chicken skin. I use a little oil in my stir fry. At some point, I will have to deal with eating in restaurants.

I will have to figure out a plan for peach season in August. Worrying about peaches sounds weird, but clementines caused me to fall off the Atkins wagon.

I also worry that I'm using artificial sweeteners in the form diet sodas, sugar free gum and crystal light where I didn't before.

I've cut back on the fluids Dukan recommended. I was drinking about 3L per day which meant at least two trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

What else... the howstuffworks website was inspirational

Last edited:
I clicked on this thread because I thought it read "Drunken Diet" which, you gotta admit, would be a lot more fun.

Banister: Where were you able to purchase the Oat Bran?

Hhmm. My previous reply to Bizladydidn't post. Was it because of the links? Anyway the answer was that I bought Bob's Red Mill brand oat bran at my local supermarket (Shoppers). The package describes it as a hot cereal, but the only ingredient is oat bran. Someone else recommended Hodgson Mill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom