Dukan Diet anyone?

VACollector, I agree that the oat bran is such a small serving it is like maybe 2 bites of good ole grits or "needs" to be added to something. I love flavoring it with salt, fake butter and pepper and adding it to anything beef. Like finely sliced steak or crumbled chargrilled burger.

BTW, I just got back from traveling and in the airport I ordered an Arby's and then ate it like I was eating the whole thing but only bit into the meat. I actually like just the plain meat, so I may have turned a corner.

Stuck at 20 lbs loss but I had to eat 'baaaaad" stuff while traveling.

Found this Dukan Diet Forum this morning- great for support and RECIPES!

The Dukaners.com forum • Index page

I am on my 4th and last day of the PP phase, looking forward to PV starting tomorrow. Right on track with the Dukan calculator for projected weight in this phase....

Forum & Bull? Don't we get enough bull in the ER forum?

I am on my 4th and last day of the PP phase, looking forward to PV starting tomorrow. Right on track with the Dukan calculator for projected weight in this phase....

Thanks for the link Bizlady.....I can't say that I'm doing as well....and not really sure why...

All meat so far with NOTHING off of the allowable list and have lost ZERO weight in the last two days...:mad:

I'm gonna go ahead and introduce veggies today as i have been on the attack phase for 6 days....maybe that will help....

Finished the attach phase yesterday after 4 days, and lost 5 lbs! Super happy with that as it would have taken me 2-3 weeks under any other diet I ever did.

I dragged my feet starting this as I just could not see myself eating all that meat. Turned out to be easy with the addition of the oatbran pancake and the 0% dairy. I REALLY like that I do not have to count anything on this diet. Makes it really easy.

I will weight myself now just 1-2 times a week, as I know I will get discouraged if the scale goes up a day, or goes slow.

VACollector-I had a 0 loss day, and had missed my walk that previous day--also cut down on dairy the following day and that helped. Don't give up, and get your water in. :)

Now, on to PV for me!

I will weight myself now just 1-2 times a week, as I know I will get discouraged if the scale goes up a day, or goes slow.

I previously decided the SAME thing....and you may have a point with the dairy as I had added fat free cottage cheese to my diet to get something with a different texture into my mouth....I was actually eating it by the spoonful as well as using it as a filler in the sliced turkey...

So I'll give up the dairy and see if I can get back on track....

My 2nd WHOOPS :blush: came from our cookout with the in-laws yesterday.....I discovered only this morning when I checked the list of 100 acceptable foods....CORN is not on the list....and after 2 and a half AMAZING ears that had been cooked on the grill....it looks like I will do a couple days of pure protein and see if I can salvage these 4 pounds that I've lost...

Note to [-]dumb a$$[/-] self ~ check the list BEFORE you eat :facepalm:

.... and weighed again this morning...ZERO pounds lost since my last weigh in...total of 4 pounds in 5 days...

... and have lost ZERO weight in the last two days...:mad:

I'm gonna go ahead and introduce veggies today as i have been on the attack phase for 6 days....maybe that will help....

... I will weight myself now just 1-2 times a week, as I know I will get discouraged if the scale goes up a day, or goes slow.

I know nothing about this diet, but I'd like to comment in general on these posts on weight measurement. My entire career involved measuring things.

First thing to be aware of, body weight varies naturally throughout the day and probably day-to-day, even for people whose average weight is very steady. My coffee mug holds almost 3/4 of a pound of coffee by weight. You perspire, and have other, ummm, outlets for body mass. Bottom line, we are trying to measure something with variability.

When I was monitoring weight loss, I had access to a very repeatable scale. Repeatability is far more important than 'accuracy', since we are looking for relative change here. I often saw daily variations of over a pound one way or the other (that I attribute to variations in 'retention'), that seemed to have no bearing at all on my average weight. My median weekly weight (see below) decreased slowly, but steadily. The daily deltas are small enough to be lost in the 'noise'.

An important rule to apply to measurements - if it is variable, you measure it more often, not less. And then you can apply some simple (or advanced) methods to try to account for the variability. I commonly came across this diet suggestion to weigh yourself less often, and I cringed every time. You should do the opposite - but with an understanding of what you are doing.

My advice:

1) Weigh yourself every day, at the same time under as close conditions day-to-day as possible. Write it down.

2) At the end of the week, do a little 'filtering' of the data. Simplest thing is to scratch out the low-high pairs until there is just one measurement. That is your median value for the week. Average the last two if you started with an even number of measurements.

3) You probably want to see some progress week-to-week on the median value. If that isn't decreasing, it is probably a pretty good sign that you didn't lose weight that week. You may or may not want to make a diet adjustment, you might want to wait another week to verify if this is a trend.

Let's take a hypothetical to see how this variation can hose up a diet:

Nominal starting weight: 170# (weight 'retention' factor is zero on this day)

Next time on scale: Your 'real' weight is 169.5#, you actually lost 1/2#, but you are 'retaining' 1.5#, so the scale says you weigh 171#. You want to react thinking you gained weight, but you actually lost weight. So you react in the wrong direction.

Next time on scale: Your 'real' weight is back to 170#, you gained 1/2# from the previous reading, but no change since you started. But this time, let's say you are not retaining anything, so the scale matches your 'real' weight at 170#. But your last scale reading was 171#, so you think you lost weight, when you actually gained it! Again, you might respond in the opposite way you should.

Now add in that the scale you are using is of questionable repeatability and long term and short term drift ('accuracy' is actually the least important factor). If you are really going to get hung up on changes of one pound out of, say 170, that is asking the scale to detect changes of about 1/2%. Don't be fooled by the number of digits a digital scale may show, that really has nothing to do with what is important in this case. You probably need a weight equal to your starting weight to use as a reference, unless you can really characterize your scale. A sliding weight style is probably pretty good for this, the standard springy ones are questionable.

-ERD50

VA, hang in there, I hit one or two days where I lost nothing and only 1 day where I regained. But, I'm beginning to think the reason I lost a nearly consistent 1 lb per day was that my excess weight was clearly all belly fat. AND, that was gained mainly in the last year or so. Not sure if that's a factor.

My advice:

1) Weigh yourself every day, at the same time under as close conditions day-to-day as possible. Write it down.

2) At the end of the week, do a little 'filtering' of the data. Simplest thing is to scratch out the low-high pairs until there is just one measurement. That is your median value for the week. Average the last two if you started with an even number of measurements.

I keep a running daily total along with a rolling 4-day average. I ignore the daily total and look at trends in the 4-day average. And, in my case, since I'm interested in fat loss but not weight loss, I take a daily stomach measurement for funsies. I know that method is extremely variable but, again, I look at a rolling average not a daily.

I keep a running daily total along with a rolling 4-day average. I ignore the daily total and look at trends in the 4-day average.

A rolling average should be a good filtering technique for this also. It could still be a little 'jumpy' - sometimes rolling averages are kinda funny - you sometimes drop an outlier 'bad' data point, and replace it with an outlier 'good' data point (or vice-versa), and the results are a bit over or under-stated. But as you say you are looking at trends in that 4-day average, so you are effectively applying another level of filtering, and that probably gets you where you need to be.

There are endless ways to filter data, the key here is to do some filtering, it will most likely be better than no filtering, and very probably any simple method is 'good enough'.

-ERD50

PASTA!

I was shopping for my yogurt which was by the tofu in the frocery store. Then I found an item called Tofu Shirtaki. My store had it available in spaghetti shape and angel hair shape.
It comes in a bag and is made of tofu, water and a tiny bit of yam flour (ground yams).
Nutrition info per serving is:
2 servings per bag
Calories 20
Total fat: .5 grams
Sodium 15mg
Carbs 3 grams
fiber 2 grams
0 of everything else
When you use it, strain and rinse in cold water. Then roll towel dry between paper towel to remove moisture.
I used chicken bones to make stock last night with onion and celery. I cut the angel hair sized noodles inti bite size pices and through it into the stock overnight and placed in the fridge. Added chicken at lunch time and I had chicken noodle soup. Will have spaghetti next week!
They did have a little off smell when I first opened the bag (tofu? -never had it before) but it was fine when rinsed. DELISH and I will definately use these again!

In the past I have recommended Dreamfields pasta. It tastes great. However, a recent study show that is no better than regular pasta (same effect on blood sugar). :(

Update ~ decided to get on the scale after a day of no dairy (no fat cottage cheese in my case)...I had already eaten 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast and so was not expecting any change again and (in my very best Gomer Pyle voice)~ SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE :dance:

Down another 2 pounds....so I may have discovered my personal nemesis....

Talapia is for lunch and another chicken breast for dinner...Goodbye spare tire! (he says with today's added confidence :( )

To the others trying this eating change with me ~ I'd love to hear how you're doing! Misery loves company :greetings10:

I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, this has really taken off!

I started the Dukan Diet on 5/12, so tomorrow will make 3 weeks. I've been pretty religiously following it, and have lost 10.5 lbs, leaving me 3.5 to my goal.

I've done low-carb before and it doesn't bother me at all. Almost all the grocery stores here in E. Washington have either Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran or Oat Bran in the bulk sections. I've found a few ways to eat it that I really like. I'm also loving the 0% fat Fage yogurt and all the ways to use it.

I'm following both the Dukaners forum and the Dukan-Diet.Info forum (which I prefer by a wide margin) and am especially watching people who are in Consolidation. As I said earlier, keeping the lost weight off is what I've always had trouble with, and Dukan's method of consolidating and stabilizing makes sense to me.

Mmm Rrr

Glad you guys are making progress and feeling that happy moment when you see another 2-3 lbs of fat gone.

I hit a wall right after starting the prot/veg (Cruise) phase. In Attack Phase, I went from 207 to 191 in just over 2 weeks and lost another 6 in first week of Cruise but am stuck now on 185.

Fantastic feeling, and have about 4 more lbs of fat that I want gone.

Eggbeater and thin deli ham in morning, with oat bran "grits" w/ S&P and fake butter.
Snack on Oscar Mayer thin sliced deli meat with a few jalapenos.
Grilled chicken thigh and some 0% cottage cheese for lunch. Green tea.
Snack of Jacks Peppered beef jerky.
Grilled rib steak only 4 oz of it, for dinner with about 5 stalks of asparagus. Green tea.

I really feel super from an energy and mental outlook perspective.

Nice to see abs again after about a 10 year absence.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 8
Mmm Rrr - thanks. I found oat bran in the bulk section of MOM's for $1.59/lb. Much cheaper than Red Mill.

VACollector - weight loss has slowed down for me. I replaced cream with low fat cottage cheese this week. I'll try cutting back on dairy altogether next week.

Zero that looks pretty good!

Here was lunch yesterday and it is based on BizLady's find, Tofu Shirataki. It is pretty tasty stuff. And note my charred beef. I put it directly on the electric burner coils. Tasty.

BTW, I had reached my goal of 183, and still about 3 lbs from the doctor's recommendation but I don't think I am going to lose much more without going back to the Attack Phase again for 6-8 days.

My observation so far is that almost any amount of carbohydrates that I eat is a recipe for regaining weight. Or stopping the weight loss in it's tracks. I'm sold on low-carb as the way to lose weight.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 8
I'm still plugging along with Dukan, had my first slip last night at a party, but I really enjoyed myself and I'm back on the wagon this morning.

In 3 1/2 weeks, I've gone from a BMI of 25.2 to 23.2, only have 2.5 more pounds to lose. And I'm feeling really good. The only problem I'm having is a bit of light-headedness when I get up quickly from my knees while I'm gardening. Not exactly a show stopper.

I tried the "non tofu" version of the shirataki noodles last week and really liked them. I was amazed at how many brands the Asian market had... next week I'm going to try the dark ones, with seaweed powder. I think people who look at them as an Italian pasta alternative might be disappointed, but as Asian noodles they're really very good. My DD tasted the stir fry I made and was disappointed that I didn't have enough to share!

Mmm Rrr

Helloooooo.....BizLady? Checking in to share and to see if you're still with us?

Down 9 lbs. in the 1st 2 weeks now (actually 2 weeks tomorrow)....so I'd have to say that this diet/lifestyle change is a success in my book. :clap:

I have been unable to come up with the menu selection that you other Dukaners have but the variety of meats ~ turkey, lean hamburger, tilapia and chicken (LOTS of chicken) ~ seem to work for me and I have only rarely been hungry....and when I get the urge for sweets or get just a little hungry, I have found that a cup of coffee with Splenda and non-fat dairy creamer does wonders for me!!

I know that I have a long way to go (another 25+ pounds to reach my (wish)weight), and with my personal experience with other diets, I know that I could fall off of the wagon anytime...but somehow...this time...it seems different.....the rapid weight loss and lack of hunger seem to have helped me focus this time....I mean....if I can pass up those free doughnuts at Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Doughnuts that they were giving away last week :ROFLMAO: ...I think that I might actually have a REAL chance to reach my goal this time....

For those taking this journey with me ~ please keep posting...the company and encouragement are an integral part of this process for me. Thanks to each of you!

I am still here, but was traveling the last 4 days. Started the diet May 26, and down 7 lbs as of this morning. For 11 days of EASY dieting- I'll take that!

Have to admit falling off the diet just a bit in the last days and missing my walk, and have a challenge tomorrow having to attend a funeral dinner and subsequent luncheon. That said, still hightly motivated and really liking this diet. But I have 23-28 lbs to go before I get to where I think I want to be.

Made a GREAT grilled turkey burger this weekend. Used portabella mushrooms as my bread, and added a tomato slice, lettuce, red onion and dukan mayo. Grilled the mushrooms just slightly. Plenty drippy, but very satisfying.

For those on the diet, let's be sure to post at least once a week to keep each other motivated and to share meal ideas...

Just completed 2 weeks on the diet. Down 8.5 lbs.

How is everyone else doing?

Down 13 lbs.

Finishing my 4th week this coming Monday. Down 13 lbs. and have 37 more to go. I think I will make it this time!

I went to a party last weekend and decided to let myself have 2 glasses of wine, which led to 3 cookies (not small ones!!) But despite that I'm still down a pound for the week and only have another 1.2 lbs to go to reach my goal of 14 lbs off, in 5 weeks. (I had taken off my first 10 lbs cutting calories last year)

So the Consolidation Phase will probably start next week, I can't wait to add some fruit in. But all in all, this has been quite easy. And unlike the calorie restriction, my hair isn't falling out!

Back
Top Bottom