Dryer sheets

BradMM

Recycles dryer sheets
I just read in the FAQ section where I guess the whole rating system came from. I gotta tell you, I wash and reuse ziplock bags! :dance:

How's THAT for cheap!

You mean that's not normal? Mom always did it and so I do it too. You don't want to get into a debate on who's the cheapest on this board though ;)

(although, the simple living forum would give any story here a run for its money)

On the subject of cheapness, I believe I'll have a go at that one (sorry BradMM, I couldn't resist hijacking your thread):

I put every bit of small change in a drawer and sometimes I'll buy a bag of M&Ms with cents and dimes (and not a $1 bag either!).

I just read in the FAQ section where I guess the whole rating system came from. I gotta tell you, I wash and reuse ziplock bags! :dance:

How's THAT for cheap!

I do that, too! And what's worse, I don't really need to do that to make ends meet any more. Old habits die hard. :)

Yeah, it has nothing to do with making ends meet, we're set. It has everything to do with being CHEAP. My wife and I are both that way. Jamtin34, DW has a cup in her Echo (40 mpg!) where she collects pennies to buy her soda refills. :LOL:

I still reuse the ziplock bags out of habit - the though time when I needed to watch the pennies that closely is long past (and hopefully will not come back).

Of course, these days I claim its to protect the environment rather than because I am cheap. :angel:

I cut my own hair... have been for the last year or so. I can do it in about 10 minutes and wife and I agree it looks as good or better than the $40 place I used to go to.

I eat oatmeal instead of cereal simply because I can't stand the thought of forking over that much money for milk (and DW doesn't drink the stuff)

But, I like to think of myself as frugal, not cheap. When we buy stuff, it's meant to last and it's meant to work. When we go out, we eat well. When we travel, we stay in nice places.

I eat oatmeal instead of cereal simply because I can't stand the thought of forking over that much money for milk (and DW doesn't drink the stuff)

I put milk on my oatmeal. Is that not the norm?

How's THAT for cheap!
In the days before Ziploc bags were invented, my Mum used to wash plastic sandwich bags, and turn them inside-out to dry. She'd re-use them several times. My grandma used to re-use the same coffee grounds several times but I draw the line at that!

Liker Webzter, I eat oatmeal every morning (buy it in bulk from the local discount grocery store). Also like him, I bought a pair of clippers about 20 years ago and have been cutting my hair for free ever since.

I don't own a car, and cycle everywhere. I eat nearly all of my meals at home. The SO and I did go out for a slap-up sushi dinner a couple of weeks ago, but one of the great luxuries of eating at home is that you can lie down on the sofa afterwards and watch a movie. You can't do that if you go out to eat.

My life is simple, cheap, and virtually stress-free and I really like it that way.

my wife cuts my hair for the last 17 years.
i do not buy soda for lunch or dinner, just water.
i do not drink.
my only weakness is buying tools. if i can control that i will be set!

Heard a new one the other day. In Florida, twice a year, we have this invasion of "love bugs". Once splattered on the front of your car, you have to get them off within a day of so as they eat through the clear coat paint. Dealer told me the best way to get off the bug residue is to employ used DRYER SHEETS and a little water. He saves his used dryer sheets just for this purpose. They have just enough abrasion to not damage the paint. How's that for savings?

But, I like to think of myself as frugal, not cheap. When we buy stuff, it's meant to last and it's meant to work. When we go out, we eat well. When we travel, we stay in nice places.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. We try to buy quality, not the cheapest. We maintain our vehicles and drive them for hundreds of thousands of miles. We eat simply but healthy at home. Still, we leave for Turks and Caicos tomorrow! :dance:

I put milk on my oatmeal. Is that not the norm?

I'm not sure. However, in the commercials for McD's oatmeal they don't show milk so maybe not?

In my pre-teen/teen years, the only milk available to us was the government-issue powdered milk and I generally avoided putting that on anything. I notice my parents don't put milk on their oatmeal either and so, like many things in life, maybe it just comes down to how you were raised or how you first did things when you tried it on your own.

Ok, a couple more.... I buy my wheat in bulk from an Amish place and grind my own flour. Wheat berries are only $24 for 50 lbs. Beans are quite a bit more at nearly 60 cents a pound(!) but we buy 'em anyway.

If you have eggs close to the expiration date, you can crack 'em and freeze them.

Buying peanuts and making your own peanut butter is more cost effective... plus you don't have to worry about the fact that the USDA allows a certain amount of rat feces in your peanut butter (granted, it can still be in peanuts, but it's easier to spot).

This is turning into a "What do you DO all day?!?" thread...

Buying peanuts and making your own peanut butter is more cost effective... plus you don't have to worry about the fact that the USDA allows a certain amount of rat feces in your peanut butter (granted, it can still be in peanuts, but it's easier to spot).

I buy my eggs from my local organic, free range guy so I'm already paying more but I'd love to hear how you make PB. In a blender?

I buy my eggs from my local organic, free range guy so I'm already paying more but I'd love to hear how you make PB. In a blender?

Ditto. Goes back to my "quality where it counts" mantra. And, food processor.. I usually turn to Alton Brown for food recipes when in doubt and he has a good pb recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-peanut-butter-recipe/index.html. I may try growing peanuts next year.

Township allows us to have 6 chickens (no roosters) so I'll probably bring in 4-6 layers next year. They'll be on bug patrol in the garden during the spring-fall and chicken feed is cheap over winter so they'll earn their keep. Everything but the grass up front (to make sure the neighbors don't get uppity in our little suburb) only lives in the yard if it's earning it's keep... feeding us, attracting pollinators, keeping the bugs at bay or shelter for the birds and bats. can't look pretty and expect to last here.

Webzter,

I killed our front lawn two months after moving in. No more grass, a few native shrubs and trees. However, the backyard is pretty heavily planted and I've got a garden. Our water is one of the most costly around. DW won't go along with chickens but I'm happy to support this 20-something (maybe!) throwback to the 60's... nouveau hippie.

Back
Top Bottom