Time to Re-Tire (with Update of Old Post)

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In this post:

www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/tires-low-rolling-resistance-39959.html

we discussed which tires I should buy. I decided on the

As an update, ls99 was right, the tires I bought resulted in poorer mileage only because they were new. As they got worn in, the mileage improved.

But now, after 50,000 miles, the tires are worn down and need to be replaced.

This time I'm going to go with the Bridgestone-Insignia SE200, and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I never get to wear out tires, WalMart replaces them on a regular basis on their nickel. 6 miles to the nearest blacktop.

img_1169591_0_12b269218d680efc826e8d868d5677c6.jpg

And the purpose of the chair is?

Grasshopper, don't you just hate it when the galvanized swimming pool springs a leak?

Really like your outdoor lounge chair. Looks comfy.

In this post:

As an update, ls99 was right, the tires I bought resulted in poorer mileage only because they were new. As they got worn in, the mileage improved.

This time I'm going to go with the Bridgestone-Insignia SE200, and see if it makes a difference.

You failed to put down which tire you picked....

Did you drive 50,000 miles in two years:confused:

Grasshopper, don't you just hate it when the galvanized swimming pool springs a leak?

Really like your outdoor lounge chair. Looks comfy.

The rocker sits above(I hope) the high water mark. In the summer it gets moved to the shade of the Gambels Oak.

img_1169620_0_17f3ac10b348811d7f859c29ad45cd68.jpg

Hmmm - Gambell's Oak and that scenery. Where are you? Trans-Pecos Texas?

You failed to put down which tire you picked....

Did you drive 50,000 miles in two years:confused:

Sorry, the old tire I chose was the Michelin Symmetry.

I got them in Nov 08, and we've driven about 15,000 miles per year.

And the purpose of the chair is?

Spectator seating.

Hmmm - Gambell's Oak and that scenery. Where are you? Trans-Pecos Texas?

Same desert, but 2 states away. This is the east bajada of the Chiricahua Mountains, one of AZ's sky islands. 30 miles north of Old Mexico, 6 miles west of New Mexico, a suburb of Rodeo NM.

In this post:

Good old T-Al and the tire thing. I find it helpful and timely.
Bought Mastercraft Avengers for the Corolla. Since we keep close tabs on the mileage with this vehicle, I did notice a solid 5% decrease in the mileage. After about 10k miles, the mileage is starting to get back to normal.

Bought the Yokohama AVIDs for the Saturn Vue a year or two ago. It was a very bad experience. Tires are very loud. Examination reveals cupping on the tires. I had the mechanic check the balance and the front end alignment with no positive results. I don't think I will be able to hang on until they are worn out so I am out tire shopping.

Here's another question:

I'm also looking elsewhere, and considering two different tires. One set costs $367 and has a 45,000 mile guarantee, the other $532 with a 70,000 mile guarantee. The first comes out $8.15 per thousand miles, the second, $7.60/thousand miles.

Is the second clearly better in value?

Same desert, but 2 states away. This is the east bajada of the Chiricahua Mountains, one of AZ's sky islands. 30 miles north of Old Mexico, 6 miles west of New Mexico, a suburb of Rodeo NM.
Oh yeah, I know the Chiricahua Mountains! Great scenery and fabulous birding. Near Portal, AZ.

Here's another question:

I'm also looking elsewhere, and considering two different tires. One set costs $367 and has a 45,000 mile guarantee, the other $532 with a 70,000 mile guarantee. The first comes out $8.15 per thousand miles, the second, $7.60/thousand miles.

Yes, if the traction and heat ratings are comparable.

Here's another question:

It depends. 70k is alot of miles. Cars die, are wrecked, lost in divorce settlements, etc. In any of these cases, the extra money is wasted. What happens if you develop an alignment problem? Lost the bargin.

If it takes 10 years to get 70k the situation is different than if it takes 3. Just saying.

In your situation it is probably a good move.

I was thinking about that as well. Our Echo has 195K miles on it now. Although I plan to have it until at least 300,000 miles, stuff happens.

The tread was down almost to the wear-bars, and I hadn't realized it.

Twice recently, I noticed the tires spinning during acceleration onto the somewhat wet highway. I wonder if this was hydroplaning (since bald tires have better traction except in hydroplaning situations). It wasn't raining.

I need to decide whether we shouldn't drive this car until we get the new tires on.

I was thinking about that as well. Our Echo has 195K miles on it now. Although I plan to have it until at least 300,000 miles, stuff happens.

The tread was down almost to the wear-bars, and I hadn't realized it.

Twice recently, I noticed the tires spinning during acceleration onto the somewhat wet highway. I wonder if this was hydroplaning (since bald tires have better traction except in hydroplaning situations). It wasn't raining.

I need to decide whether we shouldn't drive this car until we get the new tires on.

I think slicks [racing tires] which are designed for a narrow band of conditions, have better traction, but I would guess bald street tires might be way too close to the casing to be called better on dry pavement.

The warranty issue of mileage limits can be viewed as a prorated insurance policy in my view. With close attention to vehicle mechanical condition, scheduled rotation, and birddogging the inflation pressures, you can seriously improve tire mileage in my experience. Even so, when I have looked at cost per mile on auto stuff, tires are way cheaper than other stuff, they just hurt because we pay lump sum for them.

But holy cats, spinning tires on an Echo! You planning on going to bonneville or something? :D

Back
Top Bottom