Easily worth 9 Minutes of Your Time

+1

This is Louie Schwartzberg, a time-lapse photographer & filmmaker, giving a presentation at TEDxSF on a project that looks at the joys of life through the eyes of a young child and an old man. I've never heard of Schwartzberg before but he knows his craft. The film is very well done, and it's a moving tribute to the "gift of a day" and showing gratitude for it.

Having said that, RS, just how freakin' hard would it have been for you to post a description or a table of contents? You got it right this time, but that's no excuse for throwing up a naked link. It only encourages the same behavior from another 8000+ posters whose judgment I wouldn't necessarily share.

Besides, if this video made such a big impact in your life, maybe it's worth a few more minutes of your time to write about it.

Great video. Thanks, Nords, for putting up a description or I wouldn't have bothered to watch it. The time-lapse photography was amazing.

My jaded self is usually dismissive of these carpe diem productions, but this one appealed to me. Eye-candy and soul-candy, the kick in the pants I need every now and then. Thanks!

Excellent. Virtually everything at TED is worth watching.

Nords is an old grouch, he probably spent too much time under an icecap, but he is right. I did not open that link because there was no description of what it was. Now that others have described what it is about it does sound interesting and I will look at it.

Nords is an old grouch, he probably spent too much time under an icecap, but he is right. I did not open that link because there was no description of what it was. Now that others have described what it is about it does sound interesting and I will look at it.

I disagree.... Nords is a young grouch :ROFLMAO:

Just having fun with ya Nords....:flowers:

Excellent. Virtually everything at TED is worth watching.
+1, I agree with donheff.

Made me think:
  • This guy truly loves what he does for a living, we should all be so lucky.
  • Real happiness can only come from within.
  • Life is now, not in the past, not in the future. Be present.
Thoughts that can't be reinforced too often IMO. Thanks!

• This guy truly loves what he does for a living, we should all be so lucky.
+100,000

I believe there are few people who are so blessed as those who truly love doing what pays the bills, who enjoy it enough that they'd even keep doing it for nothing. I wish I could say I was one of them. Still hope to be in that position, some day...

Nice photography, but I could do without the continual New Age philosophy voice over from the old guy. A couple of sentences at the beginning would have been great and then leave the viewer to contemplate the images and their own response to them. It had all the worst soft sell preachy aspects of those PBS Wayne Dyer fund raiser shows. Nice pictures though.

Last edited:
RS - Thanks so much for sharing this. There is so much wonderful content on TED that I am afraid to start looking at it randomly as I'll never do anything else!

Nice! I generally like to watch TED stuff, minus the 'fix Africa' stuff. Not that those are 'bad' , it's just there were so many of those.

Thank you, Retire Soon, for sharing this link with us. I went to watch it. And yes, it was very worthwhile. May YOU have a good and blessed day!

Nice photography, but I could do without the continual New Age philosophy voice over from the old guy. A couple of sentences at the beginning would have been great and then leave the viewer to contemplate the images and their own response to them. It had all the worst soft sell preachy aspects of those PBS Wayne Dyer fund raiser shows. Nice pictures though.

Agreed. I had to turn the sound off half way through so I could enjoy the art, the 'message' was driving me bonkers. Geez, take the corny phrase 'live everyday like it was your last/first' and regurgitate a hundred different soft-voiced ways? Not my cup of tea.

Very nice pictures though.

-ERD50

I read way too much to tolerate having my time wasted by naked links.
I'm with Nords, I don't click on naked links and often don't even click on vague topics. This thread has 766 views. If the OP thinks this is worth 9 minutes of our time, it should be worth another 30 seconds of his/hers to tell us a bit about why.
But TED rarely attracts losers.
A former co-worker and friend of mine was on TED once. He went on to forma start-up company, sold it, and instead of FIREing, he's now doing something where he takes old music recordings and cleans them up (remove background noises, limitations of the old media, etc) as a "re-recording". Not sure this is really worth 13 minutes of your life, but since I mentioned it, here it is. What amused me is seeing how he still has the same way of laughing at his own little jokes while presenting. John Walker: Re-creating great performances - YouTube

The photography and message were awesome. And I do not care at all whether or not it appeared as a naked link, kudos RS for posting.

A former co-worker and friend of mine was on TED once. He went on to forma start-up company, sold it, and instead of FIREing, he's now doing something where he takes old music recordings and cleans them up (remove background noises, limitations of the old media, etc) as a "re-recording". Not sure this is really worth 13 minutes of your life, but since I mentioned it, here it is. What amused me is seeing how he still has the same way of laughing at his own little jokes while presenting. John Walker: Re-creating great performances - YouTube

Thanks for posting that. I'm not sure many people would 'get' what he is doing though. He was rather vague, but the fact that he was using that Yamaha piano clued me in.

This is not just 'cleaning up' an old recording. It is a brand new recording, made with that piano, in a modern recording studio.

Their software is analyzing the original recording, figuring out which notes are played when, how hard and how long they were held, and the pedal positions along the way. That data then drives the piano.

I had thought about this process when I bought the Robert Johnson box set (every recording he ever made). What if they analyzed the sound, and played that sound from a guitar with a robot or something? Tougher with guitar than piano (a piano separates the player from the strings with mechanical devices). I found a link, they are working on re-producing acoustic bass now (totally synthesized). So maybe someday.

Along these lines, I have a Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue CD recording made from a player piano roll made with Gershwin himself playing, and it was later recorded with a live orchestra in a modern recording studio for this CD. Fantastic, but I've seen it played pretty close up twice now, and it is super-impressive live (a lot of dramatic cross hand work - the hands really fly!).

-ERD50

Lots of negative responses, which is fine, but for someone soon to announce their retirement, I loved the message. And the photography.

Back
Top Bottom