Not new or early

retiredtillwepart

Dryer sheet wannabe
:D
Hello to all. I am seeking direction. How about us that are already retired for awhile and can't add to our nest-egg thru retirement contributions but need growth that supplements SS funds and RMD withdrawals. Indeed each situation is different so just a little background: I am 74, wife is 72 moderate health and two adult children one of whom is disabled and unable to work and two pre-adolescent grandkids in a divorce setting Other than what we will need to do for our children along the way we have a modest lifestyle and are frugal in most spending. We have a reasonable nest egg an SS and do not own long-term care insurance (not coverable) which is a concern. I am an independent investor with a diversified portfolio with a 60/40 split.
What I am seeking is a forum or site that caters to already retired needs.

Thanks

:D
Hello to all. I am seeking direction. How about us that are already retired for awhile and can't add to our nest-egg thru retirement contributions but need growth that supplements SS funds and RMD withdrawals. Indeed each situation is different so just a little background: I am 74, wife is 72 moderate health and two adult children one of whom is disabled and unable to work and two pre-adolescent grandkids in a divorce setting Other than what we will need to do for our children along the way we have a modest lifestyle and are frugal in most spending. We have a reasonable nest egg an SS and do not own long-term care insurance (not coverable) which is a concern. I am an independent investor with a diversified portfolio with a 60/40 split.

Thanks
Hi and welcome-this site is both. If we retire at whatever age and stay retired, eventually we are not exactly early retired.

Ha

Welcome retiredtillwepart. Many of the folks on these boards are already retired, and some are in their 70s like you (however my sense is most are in their 50s or 60s).

I'm not sure there is much that you can do to grow your wealth at the RMD stage other than taking more investment risk. Is your 60/40 split 60 stocks/40 bonds or vice versa?

This is a good source of information for retirees and those nearing/planning for retirement IMO. The median age is probably close to 60, but there are people of all ages and circumstances here.

Your post above is understandably broad. Have you entered your info into FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator? It's a very good place to start to get a handle on your probability of success, though based on past history. You enter nest egg, expenses and years in retirement on the front page, but note the tabs across the top where you can enter Soc Sec, pensions/annuities, portfolio parameters, spending methodology and many other variables.

Last edited:
You might want to try Bogleheads.org, which seems to have a higher percentage of retirees in their 60s/70s.

The problem with taking on real additional risk for hypothetical higher returns is that you could end up losing principal on the volatility swings. Most would advise that you buy an immediate annuity for a guaranteed bare-bones income level (beyond Social Security) and that the rest of the portfolio could then be invested in more equities. But again you could still end up losing money on the equity assets.

Is part-time work an option? I'm not suggesting a 40-hour/week "McMasters" career, but rather something part-time like yardwork or handyman services or housecleaning or housesitting or pet care.

Another website that can show you frugal living techniques beyond your wildest dreams is the Dollar Stretcher at The Dollar Stretcher: Frugal Living since 1996.

Back
Top Bottom