Retirement, an offensive word (newspaper article)

From the article,
Basically, we should reserve the terms old-age and retirement for those who are facing mobility, health, cognitive and other challenges that impair their ability to be active and contributing members of society.

There is already a word for that: disability. Retirement is a different concept and apparently one that she detests.

"Lisa Taylor is the President of Toronto-based Challenge Factory, the only company in Canada where you can test-drive your next career. Challenge Factory provides individuals and companies with innovative talent and career programs targeting new graduates, mid-career professionals and Boomers seeking Legacy Careers."

IMHO, the author too young to even consider the word "retirement", be it early or otherwise and doesen't even view it on her long-term radar. IMHO, she is certainly not qualified to speak on the subject (although can certainly give her opinion, regardless of age).

And what's with the comment "Boomers seeking Legacy Careers"? Heck, I'm an early retired boomer and I didn't/don't seek any "post retirement career" - if I did, I would not be retired.

Apparently she dosen't understand that (with proper planning) it can be the best time of your life. Another trash article, IMHO written by somebody has no plans for their current and of course their future life (Let me tell you how I really feel! :LOL: ...).

Last edited:
Since the author makes her living from job-seekers you wouldn't expect her to promote the idea of retirement:

Lisa Taylor is the President of Toronto-based Challenge Factory, the only company in Canada where you can test-drive your next career. Challenge Factory provides individuals and companies with innovative talent and career programs targeting new graduates, mid-career professionals and Boomers seeking Legacy Careers.

"Lisa Taylor is the President of Toronto-based Challenge Factory, the only company in Canada where you can test-drive your next career. Challenge Factory provides individuals and companies with innovative talent and career programs targeting new graduates, mid-career professionals and Boomers seeking Legacy Careers."

IMHO, the author too young to even consider the word "retirement", be it early or otherwise and doesen't even view it on her long-term radar. IMHO, she is certainly not qualified to speak on the subject (although can certainly give her opinion, regardless of age).

And what's with the comment "Boomers seeking Legacy Careers"? Heck, I'm an early retired boomer and I didn't/don't seek any "post retirement career" - if I did, I would not be retired.

Apparently she dosen't understand that (with proper planning) it can be the best time of your life. Another trash article, IMHO written by somebody has no plans for their current and of course their future life (Let me tell you how I really feel! :LOL: ...).

She has a financial interest in people not retiring! What a surprise that she takes the tack that retirement is a dirty word. On the other hand, "w*rk" really is a four-letter word.

This is a great article about the failure of the Canadian educational system and the fact that people who look goofy, are goofy.

Sentences like these just don't make sense.

"Today, there is no place for the term retirement when talking about people in their 50s, 60s and beyond. The act of withdrawing from society and concluding your activities is not a choice to be made, but a fact of cognitive and physical health."

It took me a little time to become comfortable using the term, "Retired," but do not worry, folks, I soon got USED TO IT! :)

We should retire the term retirement, reserving it only to be used as originally intended—the period past average life expectancy, when we are at the end of our days—ready to really, literally, retire.

I don't mind using her definition of "retirement" as long as it doesn't mean those of us who have reached FI are still expected to work. Heck, I don't mind if I'm too young to be called "retired" as long as I can still not work!

I also think Ms. Taylor looks too young to be burned out on office politics, corporate BS and the rat race of employment yet. She looks young enough to still be in the "eager" stage. In a few years, let's see if she changes her tune.

This is a great article about the failure of the Canadian educational system and the fact that people who look goofy, are goofy."

I don't want to be that guy... but you forget the smiley part to make that statement a joke...:confused:

But don't worry... a lot of us uneducated Canadians don't take the Toronto Star or their writers to seriously anyway..... commie pinko rag. :cool:

Yes I read it, and the predictable responses, but I'm behaving today...
:horse:

If I were Canadian, I would wonder why she is referring to US lifespans and a US economist. I agree that this seems to be a piece thinly veiled to push her business.

The author doesn't even look 30...she must still be at the human-doing stage.:cell:

To me, retirement means living in my human being stage.

This is a great article about the failure of the Canadian educational system and the fact that people who look goofy, are goofy.
She may look goofy, but I'd bet she is a sheet burner.

Also regarding her sentences- have you read much of this board? Maybe our American system isn't that great either?

Ha

Last edited:
Maybe her goal is to make so much money putting other people into "later life careers" that she can retire. :D

Her point seems to be that when you 'retire' you withdraw and no longer contribute to society.

I'm sure I'm contributing a whole lot more to the world since retirement (economically and personally) than I when was sitting in an office all day, counting sales numbers on products few people ever heard about.

As far as offensive....that photo.

haha said:
She may look goofy, but I'd bet she is a sheet burner.

Also regarding her sentences- have you read much of this board? Maybe our American system isn't that great either?

Ha

Ha, you like those "sheet burner" types, huh? :)
Concerning article, I take it the words "retirement" and "old" are now on the taboo list of words to say. That means the only word left we can say to pick on people that is still politically correct is "baldy". I guess in time that will be changed to "follicle challenged"

I looked back at her pic. I may be wrong, not sure what I reacted to at first glance. But i remember thinking, hmm...

Maybe just because it's Friday.

Ha

I did the contribute to society thing for 40 years. At this point the eager activist mentality just makes me want to find someone else to associate with.

Right now I"m going on my back porch to drink this ale a friend wanted me to try.First off I am participating in society by being a consumer of goods.Second I"m making a sacrifice, testing for a friend.E.R. is full of many important things you can do.This lady :confused: Cheers

Today, there is no place for the term retirement when talking about people in their 50s, 60s and beyond. The act of withdrawing from society and concluding your activities is not a choice to be made, but a fact of cognitive and physical health.

Since when did retirement necessitate withdrawing from society?

And if someone did want to withdraw from society, why shouldn't they be free to choose to do so whenever they wish?

The article is based on a false premise that retirement means spending your days in sedentary isolation.

It's utter rubbish.

FWIW, I think she is somewhat inartfully trying to say that the term "retirement" doesn't accurately describe people like, well, most of the retired people here including those who are very active or who don't work for pay but do volunteer work or do some limited part time, or seasonal work.

She seems to want to use the word "retirement" more to refer to people like my 88 year old mother who is not very active and couldn't work any longer.

I don't get the idea that she is opposed to the idea of someone voluntarily quitting work and doing other things that aren't work related but she thinks that "retirement" isn't the right word for it.

@Katsmeow. Yes you have the gist of her point. OK so what would be a better term to describe what most of us are? Actively retired? I don't know, maybe it would be better to come up with a better term for those that are really over the hill?

What's funny is that she is a younger person, giving older people advice...isn't it supposed to be the other way around as wisdom comes with age?. You have to acknowledge she has tapped into the huge demographic to trademark her term "legacy careers"...and presumably make $$$ consulting.
As for my "legacy career" it was/is for the most part the daily grind doing various things to earn money for money for food, shelter,savings etc. Whatever my boss at the time directed. I call it a job.

Back
Top Bottom