My worries are over!

hakuna matata

Recycles dryer sheets
First I got an email stating that someone from Bank of America that they had deposited $66million into my account, and all I had to do was click on the attachment to verify it was correct.

and

my fortune out of my fortune cookie last night was this:

'you are going to have a very comfortable retirement'

so I got this baby covered 6 ways to Sunday.

On the $66mil I always wonder why the scammers make it such an unbelievable amount of money. If they had said that a $1000 deposit had been in my account there at least is a 'chance' (miniscule but still a chance) that I might open that attachment. But $66million---please, at least give me some credit!

But since the fortune cookie has spoken, and they NEVER lie on fortune cookies. I am set.

Even more so if I add the standard fortune cookie 'in bed' to the end.

'you are going to have a very comfortable retirement...in bed'
woo hoo!

If you ever have some time to kill surfing the web, this website and forum was spotlighted on an episode of This American Life: 419 Eater - The largest scambaiting community on the planet!

It is a group of 'scambaiters' that respond to emails like the OP's, but for the purpose of engaging them in a wild-goose chase to keep them occupied. So they might reply that they are a church or some other organization and require the scammer to complete an application and perform some tasks before they can consider their request. The 'tasks' then range from the ludicrous (send pictures re-creating Monty Python sketches, travel to different cities (or sending them 'on safari', etc) to the bogus (go to the local western union branch, we'll wire you money there). Its quite entertaining and they have a scam-tracker map that shows where the scams they are baiting are originating from.

419 refers to the country code for Nigeria I believe, which is where the majority of the scams originate from. If you can find the episode of This American Life, it was one of the best ones they've done...

Scambaiting sounds like a terrific retirement hobby. Indulge your creative and humorous sides, while doing good works.

Amethyst

It is a group of 'scambaiters' that respond to emails like the OP's, but for the purpose of engaging them in a wild-goose chase to keep them occupied. .. Its quite entertaining and they have a scam-tracker map that shows where the scams they are baiting are originating from.

We're on the "do not call" list and if I have time on my hands when one gets through I like to waste their time and act all interested. Of course DW is sitting their saying "just hang UP!"

Waste their time and energy so they have less available to scam other unsuspecting people!

Yes, that is exactly the point of 'scambaiting'. If you want to listen to the episode of This American Life, "The Enforcers", here is the link to listen for free: Enforcers | This American Life

I would recommend a listen if you haven't heard it, its terrific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom