93 year old still working...

video would not play for me, but judging by the still picture, he looks great and could be 73 instead of 93. Work seems to agree with some folks - good for them.

Amethyst

He enjoys it....why not? There is a salesman still working at my old company who is 86 years old. Same with him, he enjoys it. He has plenty of money too.

Sounds like my great-great-grandad who worked until age 89 when he died.

And four generations later we're still thanking him for the financials! :dance:

Oh he'll quit all right. Somebody's shoe re-heel is not going to get done. He's a success by my own definition but here in Texas we say simply: "Bless his heart".

Doesn't seem like a very high stress, demanding job, but then maybe I just don't know. I've never been a shoe cobbler... :)

The old guy in this video looks good to me. All he has to do is walk across his back yard and he can eat lunch or dinner.

I've a very good, very nice shoe fixer a few blocks from my apartment. He has been fixing my Birkenstocks and other shoes now for about 8 years. If you walk a lot, those soft soles on Birks wear fast. He is about 65, and his shop is always full of people stopping by to chat, or perhaps just to see the pretty young women who bring their expensive shoes and boots for repairs. Lots of quality men's shoes too, like Allen Alden and some Italian brands that he sells very cheaply on consignment. His father, and then later he have been there since the 50s he told me. He clearly likes it, but the clutter and modest natural light would make it a no go for me. His main business problem, and really the main problem for all the service businesses along there is the landlord kicking out a few shops and leasing to an upscale bar, or even selling the land to high rise apartment developers.

Really stinks because all the small retail is what makes the neighborhood what it is, and it will really be different if they go.

Ha

Last edited:
A good friend of mine, a pilot and A&P (airplane mechanic) has no plans to retire either, saying he loves what he's doing and can't imagine what else he'd to.

He often does work "in trade" such as he'll do the annual inspection on your Beech Debonair if you'll loan it to him for a few days or a week afterward. Many owners are very happy to do that and he's off to Bermuda or wherever.

I concur the the general tone... If he is happy, it is right for him. In the retirement arena I don't see an absolute "right" or "wrong" - it is personal choice and preference (assuming one is ABLE to retire). The right choice is the one that makes sense to YOU.

Now, as I said - if one is ABLE. If not, that changes things. If someone MUST work and really wants to retire, that is very sad. And I recognize that it may not be just the result of bad choices - living BEYOND their means - it could also be the result of a huge unforseen medical expense. The loss of a spouse. The financial fallout of a divorce. There could be LOTS of reasons that someone MUST work later than he/she would like. But it is still sad.

A good friend of mine, a pilot and A&P (airplane mechanic) has no plans to retire either, saying he loves what he's doing and can't imagine what else he'd to.

He often does work "in trade" such as he'll do the annual inspection on your Beech Debonair if you'll loan it to him for a few days or a week afterward. Many owners are very happy to do that and he's off to Bermuda or wherever.

Great trade. Especiallly if he does the first test flight after the inspections. Most pilots dread that first post inspection flight.

Good for him. If I found a job I really loved, I'd be happy working too, though I haven't been looking...

Not a thing wrong with finding enjoyment cobbling shoes. Sometimes I can see myself retiring to 'j@b' as a bike mechanic.

My dad worked part-time until shortly before he died. I imagine I'll do the same. I've always enjoyed a number of aspects and types of work (work I chose, that is) -- creativity, social interaction, challenge, sense of meaning/contribution, earning money, etc.

Different strokes.

Great trade. Especiallly if he does the first test flight after the inspections. Most pilots dread that first post inspection flight.

He has confidence in his work as do others. A few "regulars" will fly from several states away to have him do the annual on their airplane.

A few years ago he finished building his Pitts S-1. In the first photo that's me on the left. And of course one has to sit in the airframe and make engine noises even if there's no engine.

The fact that he'll build an airplane on his days off is an indicator that he likes his work.

Attachments

• Build_your_own-1.jpg
    Build_your_own-1.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Build_your_own-2.jpg
    Build_your_own-2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Build_your_own-3.jpg
    Build_your_own-3.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 9
Really nice plane. Good to hear of great builder and A&P. Wonder how senstitive it is to stick inputs. I assume it is controlled by joystick.

Really nice plane. Good to hear of great builder and A&P. Wonder how sensitive it is to stick inputs. I assume it is controlled by joystick.

According to him it is light on the stick. All one has to do is think about going in a different direction and the airplane is going there.

Sweet.

Back
Top Bottom