Laptop versus notebook. What's the difference?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In browsing around the stores, there are laptop computers and notebooks. The only difference I can tell is generally the notebooks are smaller, slower, and cheaper. But it's hard to tell. What are the differences? There must be some distinction, because some products are labeled as laptops and others as notebooks.

Do you mean "netbooks" rather than "notebooks"? Netbooks definitely are (were? do people still buy these?) lower end systems with low end processors and tinier keyboards.

To me laptop and notebook are basically synonyms for portable computers. Though I never paid much attention since for me I just buy a MacBook (or archaically a PowerBook).

Do you mean "netbooks" rather than "notebooks"? Netbooks definitely are (were? do people still buy these?) lower end systems with low end processors and tinier keyboards.

To me laptop and notebook are basically synonyms for portable computers. Though I never paid much attention since for me I just buy a MacBook (or archaically a PowerBook).

I mean "notebooks". Thanks.

In browsing around the stores, there are laptop computers and notebooks. The only difference I can tell is generally the notebooks are smaller, slower, and cheaper. But it's hard to tell. What are the differences? There must be some distinction, because some products are labeled as laptops and others as notebooks.

What you said is about it. notebooks are typically smaller, lighter and less powerful, usually don't include optical drive to save weight/power. Some years back there was probably more of a distinction but that has blurred in recent years.

What you said is about it. notebooks are typically smaller, lighter and less powerful, usually don't include optical drive to save weight/power. Some years back there was probably more of a distinction but that has blurred in recent years.
Agree with all this. I would focus on what you are looking for in terms of price, size, and features rather than worry about labels that may not be too accurate or helpful anymore. I like a big display and keyboard and mostly the same features as a desktop, so I got a 17" screen laptop for home. Then I decided I wanted something lightweight for travel, primarily for checking email and facebook and reading books, so I got a tablet. I could've gotten a notebook to do both, but for me I think it would've compromised both uses.

I do not believe that there is a consensus as to the difference between a notebook and a laptop and the terms are often used interchangeably. There is a sense perhaps that notebooks may be smaller than laptops. Or, to put it another way, all notebooks are laptops but one can make the case that not all laptops are notebooks.

On the other hand, a netbook for example is fairly clearly defined and if someone said they wanted a netbook for example that would clearly never be a 15" or 17" notebook (or laptop). On the other hand, people might easily use the term notebook to refer to a 17" while others might say that is a laptop and not a notebook.

The terms notebook and laptop are used interchangeably. They have different histories as to how they came to be, but given today's product lines the differences no longer apply.

+1

I've always considered laptops as synonymous to notebooks.

On the otherhand, the netbooks are smaller and usually less powered. I owned a Dell Netbook for a time but get rid of it in favor of just using my very old notebook instead.

I need to exercise on my forearms when lugging the thing anyhow :LOL:.

I don't disagree with anything that's already been said, but out of curiosity I goggled: laptop vs notebook - Goggle Search

The best article I found was: Laptop vs Notebook - Difference and Comparison | Diffen which includes a nice compaison chart and wiki-like follow-up article.

Tyro

By this definition, my dell is a notebook. It has a three quarter key broad. With my small hands, it is a nice deal for me. In no time, my fingers adjusted. (I have an ergo key board on my w*ork deck top pc-I can go back a forth easy). Other benefits-no internal cd/DVD drive so weighs less and sits nice on my lap when using on the couch (also nice for smaller person). I did purchase a external drive so we could load our music. Size makes it fit nicely a bag when traveling. I got max speed and memory so the price, as I recall, was about the same as PC. I did get the larger battery option (nice to have longer capability between charges). The "bigger" battery creates a nice key board tilt with back end lifted slightly. For me, it's a good match.

Back
Top Bottom