Is this 'hit and run'?

noelm

Recycles dryer sheets
Need some advice, apologies for ramblings.

One my neighbor, lets call her Laura, has a child with special needs about 5 years old and overall very difficult to handle. In the morning, when she tried to park, she bumped into one of the cars. There is a minor scratch but nothing otherwise you can see.

Laura dropped the child home and came back for inspection and to inform the car owner. Since this is a apartment block, it took her about 5 minutes or so to drop the kid and come back to the car. Meanwhile, a nosy neighbor, Olivia, (known as a local radio in the community, mid 50s, single, children hater and so on) made sure to inform every passer by (including me). I checked but didn't notice anything major. If it would have been my car, I would have let it go. Plus, Olivia called the police.

Meanwhile, Laura came back and had some talk to Olivia (and the police over the phone). Laura took pictures of both the cars and tried to find superintendent to figure out the car owner. The owner also didn't mind much and they resolved issue amicably (I was cleaning my car just besides them so could hear everyone). The police stopped by and he explicitly mentioned, we don't do anything in such cases. There was no need to call.

On the way back, Laura went to talk to Olivia and Olivia literally yelled at her. I could hear the yelling but not exactly what. I was stopped by Olivia to update. :facepalm: IMO, Olivia just meddled but when I asked about the cops, she was like, this is 'Hit and Run' because Laura did not leave any note on the other car. I said, no its not because her car is still there and she came back. You should have given her at least 5 minutes. Thats the time it takes her to drop the kid at her apartment and come back.

So I wonder, if this can be really called as 'Hit and Run'?

Note - I honestly think that Olivia is upset because the kids play near her place and it 'disturbs' her (so she ALWAYS yells at the kids), so this was just a kind of revenge. Laura's kid is little loud compared to the other kids.

Thanks in advance.

Usually people in their mid fifties are not that cranky yet. I wonder what she will be like in her seventies.

Sounds like much ado about nothing to me.

Need some advice, apologies for ramblings.

One my neighbor, lets call her Laura, has a child with special needs about 5 years old and overall very difficult to handle. In the morning, when she tried to park, she bumped into one of the cars. There is a minor scratch but nothing otherwise you can see.

Laura dropped the child home and came back for inspection and to inform the car owner. Since this is a apartment block, it took her about 5 minutes or so to drop the kid and come back to the car. Meanwhile, a nosy neighbor, Olivia, (known as a local radio in the community, mid 50s, single, children hater and so on) made sure to inform every passer by (including me). I checked but didn't notice anything major. If it would have been my car, I would have let it go. Plus, Olivia called the police.

Meanwhile, Laura came back and had some talk to Olivia (and the police over the phone). Laura took pictures of both the cars and tried to find superintendent to figure out the car owner. The owner also didn't mind much and they resolved issue amicably (I was cleaning my car just besides them so could hear everyone). The police stopped by and he explicitly mentioned, we don't do anything in such cases. There was no need to call.

On the way back, Laura went to talk to Olivia and Olivia literally yelled at her. I could hear the yelling but not exactly what. I was stopped by Olivia to update. :facepalm: IMO, Olivia just meddled but when I asked about the cops, she was like, this is 'Hit and Run' because Laura did not leave any note on the other car. I said, no its not because her car is still there and she came back. You should have given her at least 5 minutes. Thats the time it takes her to drop the kid at her apartment and come back.

Note - I honestly think that Olivia is upset because the kids play near her place and it 'disturbs' her (so she ALWAYS yells at the kids), so this was just a kind of revenge. Laura's kid is little loud compared to the other kids.

Thanks in advance.

Technically, according to the letter of the law, I would consider it to be hit and run.

However, considering the circumstances...special needs child, very minor damage, came back quickly before car owner noticed...no harm, no foul and I doubt the police would do anything about it. Just my opinion.

The thing that could have happened to make this worse...car owner could have come back, nosey neighbor tells her about the damage...car owner calls police...and then the woman shows up...then it would not look as good for her.

Hit and run is defined by each State, but usually involves personal injury or substantial property damage. This does not sound like that.

It sounds like a good idea. Hit her and run.

I would give Olivia as wide a berth as possible. Sounds like she needs to get a life.

Edit to add: Not hit and run.

Laura should have left a note. But it's obvious her intentions were good, and she made everything right.

Olivia--she's doomed to a life of bitterness. She'll make those around her miserable (maybe her sole source of joy).

It doesn't matter if it's technically "hit and run" or "leaving the scene of an accident" or failure to report property damage" etc. Knowing the answer would only give you a reason to re-engage with Olivia, which is the thing you should avoid at all costs.

....In the morning, when she tried to park, she bumped into one of the cars. There is a minor scratch .....The police stopped by and he explicitly mentioned, we don't do anything in such cases. There was no need to call.

No, if it was then the police would have done something about it. No prosecutor in their right mind would consider charges in such circumstances. Laura made a mistake and acted responsibly. Olivia is a meddling b@#$% who should mind her own business.

Laura should have left a note. But it's obvious her intentions were good, and she made everything right.

Olivia--she's doomed to a life of bitterness. She'll make those around her miserable (maybe her sole source of joy).

It doesn't matter if it's technically "hit and run" or "leaving the scene of an accident" or failure to report property damage" etc. Knowing the answer would only give you a reason to re-engage with Olivia, which is the thing you should avoid at all costs.
+1

Olivia is single? Who'd've guessed!

If someone walks out of a store with a shopping cart full of groceries without paying, but then returns the property on their own accord, its not a theft. If they get caught by the manager in the parking lot and only return the property because they got caught, it IS a theft. Similarly, if someone leaves the scene of an accident without leaving ID but returns on their own, its not a hit and run.

Obviously it would've been better to leave a note so there wouldn't be any misunderstanding that the person intended to return.

Technically, yes it is a hit and run. In the real world, since there was clearly no intent to evade responsibility for the damage, no one would care much.

Isn't it more likely "leaving the scene?" I thought hit and run involved personal injury. Regardless, leave Olivia to stew.

Thank you everyone.

We have really senior folks in our development and are super super nice. Compared to them, Olivia is, well... to put it in most civil fashion, is super cranky.

I wanted to know for my understanding (and for the record, I avoid this woman like plague).

Someone commented that everyone in the development should contribute for her trip to Kenya (where they supposedly 'sell' love on the beach).

Thanks again.

Isn't it more likely "leaving the scene?" I thought hit and run involved personal injury. Regardless, leave Olivia to stew.

If you want to get technical, "hit and run" is just a layman's term and not a legal term. I'm sure other states are different but in Texas after an accident you are required to leave your ID with the other driver. If you don't you can be charged with "Failure to Leave ID or FLID". If anyone is seriously injured, you are required to stop and attempt to help them or at least call an ambulance. If you don't you can be charged with "Failure to stop and render aid or FSRA" which is a much higher charge.

Neighbors like Olivia are why I now live on 12 acres of forest with no neighbors in sight. My wife and I had our fill of crazy/nosey folks when we lives in SoCal. We did have some great neighbors as well but there always seems to one or two that can't focus on their own lives.

Neighbors like Olivia are why I now live on 12 acres of forest with no neighbors in sight. My wife and I had our fill of crazy/nosey folks when we lives in SoCal. We did have some great neighbors as well but there always seems to one or two that can't focus on their own lives.

+1 - Same reason we are on 12 acres surrounded by very large landholders.

Although technically it might be hit-and-run, I wouldn't pursue it as such, since she did come back and try to locate the owner and set things right.

And regarding Olivia...As bad as it sounds, she seems like just the kind of bitter old busybody that I would go out of my way to annoy whenever I saw her. Reminds me of the lady in the scooter from Waking Ned Devine.

I don't know about the "hit" part, but I would definitely "run" from... Olivia!

Back
Top Bottom