Visian - Implantable collamer (contact) lens

Steelart99

Recycles dryer sheets
I've had severe yet correctable nearsightedness all my life. I wear glasses and contact lens although the contacts can get irritating (I've tried lots of different kinds).

I am not a candidate for LASIK, but could do PRK; but I hate the thought of carving away so much of my eye lens ... permanently.

With ER nearing, I thought I'd look into getting Visian Implantable collamer lens (or implantable contact lenses) so that I could use a FSA to fund them ... and while I was still employed to be able to pay for them ($7400 / both). These lenses are implanted, yet can be removed and/or replaced if necessary in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with these lenses and how they perform?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have any experience, but I am curious as well. My eyes are around 20/1000, so I would rather not carve out that much of my cornea either.

My opthalmologist had told me that the current ICLs had a higher incidence of cataracts, but there was a slightly different placement that was in Phase 3 trials. That was a year ago, so I'm not sure where things stand.

Still, the idea of having a hole drilled in my eye and a rolled up lens being stuffed through gives me the heebie jeebies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Along is line of discussion re eye surgery, has anyone had experience with surgery for Fuchs Dystrophy?

Back
Top Bottom