Buying prescription sunglasses online...confusing!

You want your lens width and overall frame width to be such that the pupils of your eyes are centered in the lenses or perhaps only a millimeter or two off center. Yes, they can adjust for this when they grind the lenses but if you have a pupillary distance of say, 60 mm and your lens width is 57 and your frame width is 142, that's a big @ss set of glasses for your face, and you won't be viewing through the center of the lenses, but mostly the third of the lens closest to the bridge..

Interesting. I'm also a longtime Zenni customer. Unlike single vision, when I shop for progressives, I tend to look for lenses and frames that are a bit wider and deeper, figuring it'll give me more "real estate" for each of the 3 different fields of vision squeezed into 1 pair of glasses. But I never thought about how that might mess up PD: i.e., too large could impact that. What's the widest and deepest that you think someone with a a 63-64 PD should go?

Interesting. I'm also a longtime Zenni customer. Unlike single vision, when I shop for progressives, I tend to look for lenses and frames that are a bit wider and deeper, figuring it'll give me more "real estate" for each of the 3 different fields of vision squeezed into 1 pair of glasses.

Generally speaking it is true that the larger "real estate" of bigger lenses will result in a wider field of focus when using progressives. However, the vertical distance, or lens height, is the more critical measurement for this. Zenni won't even sell a set of progressive glasses unless the lens height is at least 32mm, which I've found to be barely adequate. I don't touch a pair of glasses unless the minimum lens height is 38mm. I also get the premium progressive lens option which has wider corridors to ease focusing.

But I never thought about how that might mess up PD: i.e., too large could impact that. What's the widest and deepest that you think someone with a a 63-64 PD should go?

It depends on a couple of things--overall width of the frame and lens width. This is dependent on the width of your face.

Short answer: With a PD of 63-64 and an average width face, I'd suggest a frame with an overall width of 134mm to 142mm and a lens width of 50mm to 52mm. Of course you could go wider on the lenses but it's likely your pupils will not be centered horizontally in the lens. The lens height is a personal, styling preference. When I buy computer glasses I get fairly tall lenses around 42-44 mm. For everyday distance vision glasses I like it around 38-40mm, but that is a vanity decision.

Long Answer. For example, on frame width, you don't want it so narrow that the temple arms are pressing into the sides of your head or touching the sides of your head. But you don't want the frame so wide that there is a significant gap between your head and the temple arms because then that portion that fits behind the ear will be loose. About the only place you want the temple arms to touch the sides of your head are at the ear and behind the ear. I would suggest no more than 10 mm (1 cm) spacing between the temple arms and your head as measured at about the midpoint between your eyes and your ears. Most adult glasses have frame widths between 130mm and 145mm. It's kind of difficult to mess this up, though, and get a "wrong" size.

On lens widths you want to center your pupils (horizontally, or centered from the left edge of the lens to the right edge) as best as you can in the lenses. The easiest way to judge this is to pull out some of your Zenni's and try them on checking for pupil/lens centering. Once you've found a set or two of your glasses that fit, log into your account, look at your past orders, and find the order(s) that had those glasses that fit well. Look at the measurements of these glasses, esp. frame width and lens width. (Zenni doesn't print the lens width, bridge width and temple arm length on their temple arms like most other manufacturers.) Use the measurements from a current set of eyeglasses that fit well as a guide when you buy new ones.

Do you use the "Zenni Frame Fit" feature? That's when you upload a photo of your head and "virtually" try on frames on your own face. I find this very useful.

You could also go to a Walmart or a Target store's optometry section and try on a bunch of frames. They have the lens width, bridge width and temple arm length measurements stamped on the inside of the temple arms. Try on a bunch of glasses. Heck, I even take pictures of myself wearing the frames and also a picture of the measurement, plus take notes in Google Keep on my phone. I'll record the brand and model number and the lens/bridge/arm measurements. I feel just a twinge of guilt doing this so I usually buy something like lens cleaner or lens wipes.

Once you've got the correct range of measurements for your face you can use the Custom Sizing options with Zenni's search engine. For example,

Zenni Custom Arm and Bridge.png

Zenni Custom Lens Width.png

Zenni Custom Frame Width.png

Then you can select color, lens shape and other options to really narrow down the choices.

Taking it even further--I keep a spreadsheet with model numbers, all the measurements, weight, type of hinge, type of nosepad, material used, etc. Then I can see at a glance the relative strengths and weaknesses of potential eyeglasses.

Last edited:
^^^^^^Excellent advice. That Zenni tool is quite nice and helped me a lot n my decision process.

Generally speaking it is true that the larger "real estate" of bigger lenses will result in a wider field of focus when using progressives. However, the vertical distance, or lens height, is the more critical measurement for this. Zenni won't even sell a set of progressive glasses unless the lens height is at least 32mm, which I've found to be barely adequate. I don't touch a pair of glasses unless the minimum lens height is 38mm. I also get the premium progressive lens option which has wider corridors to ease focusing.

It depends on a couple of things--overall width of the frame and lens width. This is dependent on the width of your face.

Short answer: With a PD of 63-64 and an average width face, I'd suggest a frame with an overall width of 134mm to 142mm and a lens width of 50mm to 52mm. Of course you could go wider on the lenses but it's likely your pupils will not be centered horizontally in the lens. The lens height is a personal, styling preference. When I buy computer glasses I get fairly tall lenses around 42-44 mm. For everyday distance vision glasses I like it around 38-40mm, but that is a vanity decision.

Long Answer. For example, on frame width, you don't want it so narrow that the temple arms are pressing into the sides of your head or touching the sides of your head. But you don't want the frame so wide that there is a significant gap between your head and the temple arms because then that portion that fits behind the ear will be loose. About the only place you want the temple arms to touch the sides of your head are at the ear and behind the ear. I would suggest no more than 10 mm (1 cm) spacing between the temple arms and your head as measured at about the midpoint between your eyes and your ears. Most adult glasses have frame widths between 130mm and 145mm. It's kind of difficult to mess this up, though, and get a "wrong" size.

On lens widths you want to center your pupils (horizontally, or centered from the left edge of the lens to the right edge) as best as you can in the lenses. The easiest way to judge this is to pull out some of your Zenni's and try them on checking for pupil/lens centering. Once you've found a set or two of your glasses that fit, log into your account, look at your past orders, and find the order(s) that had those glasses that fit well. Look at the measurements of these glasses, esp. frame width and lens width. (Zenni doesn't print the lens width, bridge width and temple arm length on their temple arms like most other manufacturers.) Use the measurements from a current set of eyeglasses that fit well as a guide when you buy new ones.

Do you use the "Zenni Frame Fit" feature? That's when you upload a photo of your head and "virtually" try on frames on your own face. I find this very useful.

You could also go to a Walmart or a Target store's optometry section and try on a bunch of frames. They have the lens width, bridge width and temple arm length measurements stamped on the inside of the temple arms. Try on a bunch of glasses. Heck, I even take pictures of myself wearing the frames and also a picture of the measurement, plus take notes in Google Keep on my phone. I'll record the brand and model number and the lens/bridge/arm measurements. I feel just a twinge of guilt doing this so I usually buy something like lens cleaner or lens wipes.

Once you've got the correct range of measurements for your face you can use the Custom Sizing options with Zenni's search engine. For example,

View attachment 45551
View attachment 45552
View attachment 45553

Then you can select color, lens shape and other options to really narrow down the choices.

Taking it even further--I keep a spreadsheet with model numbers, all the measurements, weight, type of hinge, type of nosepad, material used, etc. Then I can see at a glance the relative strengths and weaknesses of potential eyeglasses.

Great info. :) Thank you for taking time to share all the above. Definitely bookmarking your reply for my annual zenni shopping spree in Nov/Dec this year! (They usually offer good Black Friday deals.)

Luckily, most of what I've bought before seems to match your suggestions. I agree the 32mm Zenni allows as minimum for progressive seems too small/narrow for 3 fields of vision: I choose between 40-44. Their try-on video and photo tool is great - use those often! Search functionality too: I can really hone in on purpose, PD, material, sizing, shape, etc.

I've never measured for pupil centering other than just making sure PD is within range for that style. May give it a go, but figuring out distances between glass arms and my head seems pretty complicated when I read your "long answer"!:D Order history helps me find measurements on older pairs.

My only Zenni disappointments so far:
  • Loose arms on a few: there aren't retailers in my area willing to adjust unless you bought them there. Didn't have much luck trying to adjust myself.
  • When color looks diff from website or frame just doesn't fit/complement my face in real life vs "try-on" tool. Sometimes happens even w/checking measurements. I usually keep anyway, as lenses/clarity are fine.

what about oleo coating?

Anyone opt for the add-on oleophobic fingerprint resistant coating? I've done it a few times when it was on sale...skipped it other times. Not entirely sure it made that big a difference.:confused:

Anyone opt for the add-on oleophobic fingerprint resistant coating? I've done it a few times when it was on sale...skipped it other times. Not entirely sure it made that big a difference.:confused:

I opted for the oleophobic coating on my order for everyday distance glasses I placed last week. First time I've gotten it. I'm a stickler for clean lenses so I figured I'd give it a try.

Great info. :) Thank you for taking time to share all the above. Definitely bookmarking your reply for my annual zenni shopping spree in Nov/Dec this year! (They usually offer good Black Friday deals.)

Luckily, most of what I've bought before seems to match your suggestions. I agree the 32mm Zenni allows as minimum for progressive seems too small/narrow for 3 fields of vision: I choose between 40-44. Their try-on video and photo tool is great - use those often! Search functionality too: I can really hone in on purpose, PD, material, sizing, shape, etc.

Dang! I got a camera for my PC recently and I forgot to try the video try-on feature.

I do have a routine I use for the photo tool. When I use the Zenni Frame Fit feature and it overlays the glasses on the photo of my face, I use Windows "snip and sketch" and do a screen grab of the photo. I save the screen grab to my hard drive using the Zenni model number as the filename. I "try on" about 8 or 10 sets of glasses taking screen grabs of each photo. Then I will scroll though the photos in succession to do a quick comparison between all models I've selected. I also have my wife look at them and help me pick out the frame style.

I've never measured for pupil centering other than just making sure PD is within range for that style. May give it a go, but figuring out distances between glass arms and my head seems pretty complicated when I read your "long answer"!:D Order history helps me find measurements on older pairs.

You're right--The easiest way to take a look at your current or past eyeglasses and find the ones that center your pupils in the center of the lenses, then go through your order history and note the measurements. Again, some correction for off-center pupils in the lenses can be compensated for when they make the lenses. What you want to avoid is something like this:

Glasses Lens too Big.png

My only Zenni disappointments so far:
  • Loose arms on a few: there aren't retailers in my area willing to adjust unless you bought them there. Didn't have much luck trying to adjust myself.
  • When color looks diff from website or frame just doesn't fit/complement my face in real life vs "try-on" tool. Sometimes happens even w/checking measurements. I usually keep anyway, as lenses/clarity are fine.

What do you mean by loose arms? And what do you do when you attempt to adjust them?

Last edited:
We used glassesusa.com. We have progressive transition (brown) lenses. We don’t use separate sun glasses.

We do have sun glasses that go over our glasses when we drive but we rarely use them.

What you want to avoid is something like this:

View attachment 45562

What do you mean by loose arms? And what do you do when you attempt to adjust them?

ha...that pic DOES look like a few of my pairs, as I tend to prefer larger lenses, but I don't seem to have any vision problems, headaches or other issues with them.

Loose arms meaning the arms are a bit loosey/goosey or jiggly when you hold up the glasses: they easily collapse open or closed. I have the little eyeglass repair kit w/tiny screwdriver to tighten, but somehow that doesn't help much and I'm afraid to force it too much and break them. Lately, I've written a note on every order "please make sure frame arms are tightened before shipping" and that's helped.

Perhaps you'll update here when you get your glasses if you think that extra oleo coating you ordered made any difference in keeping lenses clean? Smudged lenses are such a pain...I'm constantly cleaning, but I didn't think that coating made much of a difference.

With a PD of 68 mm you should be fine with those lens sizes.

If you remember, post back in this thread a couple of weeks from now and let us know how you like the gradient tint. I've always meant to try them but I've been chicken.

I love the gradient tint on these glasses. The darkest part of the tint at the top of the frame is about what I experienced with the full tint sunglasses I previously ordered and didn't like. In normal use of these new glasses, I really don't look through that dark area at the top of the frame. No reason to, and hard to do anyway.

My normal vision has me looking thorough a medium tint area which I find quite nice. And if I look down at the lower part of the frame, the tint is very light.

This was a good choice for me!:cool:

FindingForward said:
Perhaps you'll update here when you get your glasses if you think that extra oleo coating you ordered made any difference in keeping lenses clean? Smudged lenses are such a pain...I'm constantly cleaning, but I didn't think that coating made much of a difference.

I've had my glasses for a bit over a month now and I must say it appears the coating is helping to keep the lenses cleaner than usual. Typically, any new pair of eyeglasses I get tend to stay cleaner the newer they are, then with age they seem to get dirty more easily.

I need to give the test more time, but so far, these are doing really well at not getting dirty.

I love the gradient tint on these glasses. The darkest part of the tint at the top of the frame is about what I experienced with the full tint sunglasses I previously ordered and didn't like. In normal use of these new glasses, I really don't look through that dark area at the top of the frame. No reason to, and hard to do anyway.

My normal vision has me looking thorough a medium tint area which I find quite nice. And if I look down at the lower part of the frame, the tint is very light.

This was a good choice for me!:cool:

That's good to know. I might give it a try next time. My most recent Zenni sunglasses purchase I went with mirrored surface. It's reflective, but it's not super reflective. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom