Aw, Nuts!

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Always knew nuts were supposed to be good for health, but didn't know which kinds, or what the "good" part meant.
Health in a Hard Shell:
Mixed Nuts
Whether you want an on-the-go snack or a creative kitchen
ingredient, turn to a variety of nuts for flavor, nutrition and crunch.
Quick and easy read:
Energy Times - Health, Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition

'specially loved the part about peanuts, as that's all I can afford. :) .... :(

Last edited:
I work Mon, Wed and Fridays normally. I have mixed nuts, an apple and water for lunch on my workdays. It is a quick lunch to grab. I buy the large container of Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts with Sea Salt and they include Cashews, Almonds, Pecans, Brazil Nuts and Hazelnuts. I was taking peanut butter also, to dip my apple slices in, but was afraid I was getting too many calories, so I stopped that and added baby carrots. Anyway, quick and easy, and I just have to make sure that I don't get carried away eating too many nuts!

Great article, thanks for sharing. I typically add walnuts to my morning shake (chia seeds, hemp seeds, frozen berries, different types of fruit, cinnamon, and greens.)

I eat a lot of trail mix during the summer when I am backpacking and hiking. It packs in a lot of calories and doesn't require cooking.

I love nuts and have always included them in my diet. When I was about 8 years old, a friend of my parents gave me a package of pistachio nuts and I've enjoyed pistachios ever since. For many years, I've eaten them regularly - about an ounce every day. I also enjoy almonds, but they are second to pistachios.

I like all nuts but mostly eat cashews. I keep a big jug on the kitchen counter.

I love nuts but only when salted. This precludes me from eating them as they have way to much salt in them. (Salted style of course)

I'm a nut nut. I buy the big bags of pecans and walnuts at Costco and the toasted but unsalted almonds at Trader Joe's. They make a great snack or a trail mix with some Craisins. No potato chips in this house.

I eat a lot of nuts. Predominantly peanuts and peanut butter but a lot of walnuts and almonds. I wish I'd seen this before I went to Trader Joe's last week, I'd have bought some pecans which I love but have eaten in years also cashews and pistachios both of which I don't eat very often but I like them.

They didn't include my favorites, Hickory and American Black Walnut. Both are a pain to clean and crack open.

Hickory nuts taste amazing, I've seen them sold but unshelled. Shelling is lots of fun.
Getting the husks off black walnuts is a challenge. We used to sit them in the gravel driveway and after, being run over a while they were pretty clean. Mom used to bake with the dried meat of black walnuts. Delicious, some think they have a strong taste, but I love it.

Yes I still eat nuts, mostly Almonds.
MRG

I like seeds as well. I usually have a breakfast shake that includes chia seeds and hemp seeds (Costco). I put sunflower seeds on my salad (trader joe's). And I just bought a bag of pumpkin seeds in the shell (trader joe's).

Our Costco started selling unsalted mixed nuts. This is my daily snack. If I eat them earlier in the day, I find that I'm not hungry and eat lunch later. This lead me to have a very light dinner or just a snack in the evening.

The salted variety are good, but I try to avoid salt.

They didn't include my favorites, Hickory and American Black Walnut. Both are a pain to clean and crack open.

Hickory nuts taste amazing, I've seen them sold but unshelled. Shelling is lots of fun. .... Mom used to bake with the dried meat of black walnuts. Delicious, some think they have a strong taste, but I love it.

I haven't had hickory nuts in ages. They are good!

American Black Walnut is an acquired taste. Like you say, strong and kind of bitter. I like them, but not enough to spend too much time shelling them.

-ERD50

I love most types of nuts but macadamia nuts are probably my favorite.

Nuts be good, but they are calorie-dense, and also high in omega-6 fatty acids.

Attachments

• Omega.jpg
    Omega.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 69
I love all nuts, especially pecans. My poor DH has probably never eaten a pecan from a can of mixed nuts since I pick them all out first.

Nuts are my favorite go-to snack when I get hungry in the middle of the day and need a snack. I don't worry about Omega-6 since I eat the entire nut, not some extract. And my diet is balanced. People need to remember that real foods are packaged rather healthfully. It's when we start to turn them into Frankenfoods that they get unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom