Roof Day

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Roof day (wrote this 8 months ago and was going to post a Google review and thought better of it)
I am pretty handy but I am by no means a construction person. Roofs I knew had to be done right or it can be disastrous - water is the enemy of homes. Which is probably why I was pretty anxious the day my hail damaged roof was to be replaced. I came home yesterday to find a dumpster and pile of roofing materials at the top of my driveway. They had apparently been 'Unable to contact me' but I called them and "yes tomorrow they will be there". So I decided to work home - which proved to be a good thing.

The roofers pulled up in a van that was battered and well past its prime. In a minute the hood was up and they were watering the old gal. I worried about oil stains on my new blacktop. Their equipment was old - one of their air compressors hoses wouldn't stay on and would come free and "snake around dangerously" it was a comedy of errors. Except this is my home!

I sat outside while some of my code was running (I am a developer by trade). I noticed they brought along 4 sheets of osb (today's cheap plywood). I didn't expect any wood to need to be replaced as the old roof was a mere 8 years old. Before I knew it they had a circular saw out and cut one of my sheets ...

I asked why the replacement and they indicated the while wood wasn't rotten was a little buckled. So who cleared this? No answer. Fearing a sham I called my contact and verbally blasted him. He came over to my house and we continued to have words. You aren't very friendly he said. I said I am pissed I have to watch your guys.. He left in a huff.

I came outside not ten minutes later and I noticed they were putting the rubber ice shield on top of the rhino paper (today's tar paper). That would essentially make the ice shield useless. Another call and "we are sending our QC guy". Rahul arrives looks up and says yeah "its wrong" They tore the old stuff off and redid it. Raul didn't finish high school but he knows roofing. I make them redo the step flashing that they were inclined to leave (just not good work)

Raul tells me he was told stay and make sure its right; I have established myself as a knowledgable angry vocal client and they fear the bad review. I am just the guy to penn it;

One fellow asks do you get snow here? (OMG). These guys were just plain awful.....

Update 8 months later- we came home from Florida to discover the ceiling in the first floor kitchen has water stains. Heavy rains when we were away.. It looks like a large bit of paint is gone as well. I suspect the joint where the garage meets the main house is leaking ... Did they replace that step flashing? This roof cost 20 something thousand! (Insurance and me). I called and they are supposedly coming today - I'll have to hold my temper, getting angry accomplishes nothing... Repeat getting angry accomplishes nothing...Repeat, Repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
Ouch. One reason I try to do my own work, though doing one roof was enough for a lifetime.

One of the advantages of managing rental property is you develop a list of tradesmen you can trust. Well, you either do that or you probably won't be doing rentals for long. That knowledge on your side, and their knowledge that you will be a repeat customer many times over, helps prevent problems like this. If you have friends that do rental property ask them for referrals.

rayinpenn: you mention "hail damage". Was this one of those outfits that came around the neighborhood after a storm and lobbied people to replace them with insurance money? They tend to be a bit shady...

Thank you for sharing your tough story. That stinks.

I have to admit, I'm very picky and I was mad at my roofer after they damaged some Solatubes. Problem was I was an early adopter of the product and they had never seen them before (this is 20 years ago).

My roofer calmed me down, and said: "I know you are mad. We'll make this right. But let me explain something to you. This is new to these guys. Now they know. They are good men. They come to work sober and have no felonies in their past. Give us a chance, OK? "

I have to admit, it was a wake up call. After we spoke he gave me too many stories about drunken convict roofers. Believe me, it is pretty common.

Fast forward: the roof lasted 15 years. Now at 20, a few flashings are leaking. It is probably time for a new one anyway. Overall, a success, although picky Joe still thinks they could have done a bit better. But I need to chill sometimes.

Good luck in your remediation. I feel for you, man. Contractor issues are tough.

Back
Top Bottom