"New" Avalon

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Have a 2002 Toyota Avalon with 335k miles and needs to be retired soon. The maintenance / repair costs are rising. Looking for my next Avalon, a 2012 or 2013 with 15-20 k miles on it. Want to pay cash or 12 months interest free.

Where's the best place to look to buy so I don't get taken and its not one from a flood area.

Have a 2002 Toyota Avalon with 335k miles and needs to be retired soon. The maintenance / repair costs are rising. Looking for my next Avalon, a 2012 or 2013 with 15-20 k miles on it. Want to pay cash or 12 months interest free.

Where's the best place to look to buy so I don't get taken and its not one from a flood area.

Flood cars are sold as salvage by insurance companies and sometimes resold by the scrappers (Copart is a recipient of flood cars) to re-sellers (used car dealers). The title will be "branded" as "salvage" or "rebuilt". Some states won't re-title flood or totaled cars, some will.

You can pull a Carfax to see the vehicle's history or just look at the title before buying.

Best pace to look is new car dealer's used lot. They typically only will accept clean trades and if they get a car that is not salable by them, they typically send it to the auction house.

+1

If you are looking for a two or three year old Avalon with only 15-20K miles, a new car dealer - probably Toyota - will likely be your best bet.

Yes, a lot of 2 or 3 year lease turn-ins will be showing up after new model year cars go on sale.

A Toyota dealership is probably the safest place to buy a used Avalon. Odds are you'll pay more than an independent dealer, but you'll know it's more likely a solid used car.

I'd consider CarMax before an independent used car lot too, unless you know an independent very well. And if you find one you like at an independent lot (or private sale), just take it to a dealer for a full inspection, money well spent. If the seller balks at an independent inspection, I'd walk away...

I too would suggest you check with an established Toyota or Lexus dealer. Another option would be a 2012 Lexus ES350--same basic car. A 3-4 years old car with 10-15K miles will be a tough one to find.

Another source of used cars is AutoTrader.com, but be very careful. It's a more trustworthy website than Craigslist.

Kind of off topic, however just found and am negotiating on a beautiful 2011 V-6 Ltd Rav4 with only 9,700 verified miles.

As a CPO warranted vehicle, a little expensive, but should be well worth it! It is at a authorized Toyota dealer which serviced my Sequoia for the last 100,000 + miles. They are out there if you search.

Tom

You might want to test drive the newer Avalons before getting too serious about them if you haven't already. My last car was a 2013 Avalon and I found the ride to be a bit harsh and noisy, the leather seats to be hard and uncomfortable for a long trip and just not as comfortable as the 2009 Avalon that I had driven.

I think that Toyota decided to compete for the same demographic as BMW and tried to be "sporty" rather than "comfy". I have heard that they have tried to make the 2016's more comfortable, so they must have heard some complaints. I am going to look for a Lexus ES 350 as Bamaman suggested. I think it will be more like what I want to drive in my dotage.

Back
Top Bottom