TurboTax available on Fidelity's site

FIREd_2015

Recycles dryer sheets
I thought I'd start a new thread since I almost missed the posting by "Done" on the TT and Vanguard thread. I've copied and pasted his post here:

The Fidelity offer is online: free TurboTax 2015 Premier to certain premium clients. Not sure exactly what service tier qualifies. To check if you have this offer, log in to Fidelity and go to Guidance & Retirement -> Taxes. Everyone should see an offer "Save on TurboTax" for $20 off, BUT some also get a special offer on the right side "TurboTax Online Premier: Receive a free federal tax return with e-file."

If you have the free offer, click Learn More and then you'll have the option to file Online or Download (click See Products). Premier is free and other versions are discounted. The download includes 5 federal e-files and one state download. State e-file costs $19.99 (free for NY) or you can print and mail the state return.

For Newegg shoppers, they have a promo code for most if not all H&R Block tax software that gives you 50% off through tomorrow. I have used H&R Block and its predecessor, Tax Cut for many years. Last year they were late in solving an issue with the ACA premium tax credit calculation for those self-employed deducting their HI premiums but I've opted to give them a second chance this year.

I looked online last week but I only get the $20 discount offer, so I'm guessing I don't have enough with Fidelity to qualify.

Amazon dropped their price by $10 today on the Turbotax Deluxe with State product, so it's down to $39.99, and Costco will be discounting the products $10-$15 starting tomorrow, for those of you that don't qualify for the free offer from Fidelity.

I looked online last week but I only get the $20 discount offer, so I'm guessing I don't have enough with Fidelity to qualify...

That's all I saw last week too so I'm assuming Fidelity made the change recently. Posts from last year said those with Active Trader or Private Client status (>$1M with Fidelity) qualified for the free download.

I see "TurboTax® Online Premier
Receive a free federal tax return with e-file." without logging in, though I should qualify. The download option is there too. Pretty strange since only Premier is free and the lesser versions actually cost something.

I'm going to have to stop jumping the gun at Amazon.

I looked online last week but I only get the $20 discount offer, so I'm guessing I don't have enough with Fidelity to qualify.

If you believe you qualify for the offer and didn't get it, call your rep to make sure you qualify or not before you go out and buy a copy.

I had gotten this offer for the last 5+ years, then last year I didn't qualify, so they gave me a monetary credit so I could buy a retail copy. This year, I was told my account is coded for the free Turbotax offer but I only get the "Save up to $20 offer" link. So it seems like there's still some glitches in the way they're processing the qualification for this offer.

If you are splitting assets across trusts, this adds additional problems for this offer. This seems to be my issue for the last two years and no good work around is available so far, other than giving me a money reimbursement.

Last edited:
Got the Premier version for free. Thanks for the heads up.

FWIW, I think your Fidelity rep has a role in what you are offered. IOW, it's not an automatic thing.

I have been in their Private Client Group for years, but never got the free TurboTax and didn't know about the offer. Last year I realized (thanks, Dimsumkid!) that I should be included, so I mentioned it to my Fidelity rep.

He simply said "Oh, I didn't realize you used that for your taxes. I'll put you on the list."

So for last year and this year, free TurboTax Premier.

Bottom line: It never hurts to ask.

I thought I'd start a new thread since I almost missed the posting by "Done" on the TT and Vanguard thread. I've copied and pasted his post here:

The Fidelity offer is online: free TurboTax 2015 Premier to certain premium clients. Not sure exactly what service tier qualifies. To check if you have this offer, log in to Fidelity and go to Guidance & Retirement -> Taxes. Everyone should see an offer "Save on TurboTax" for $20 off, BUT some also get a special offer on the right side "TurboTax Online Premier: Receive a free federal tax return with e-file."

If you have the free offer, click Learn More and then you'll have the option to file Online or Download (click See Products). Premier is free and other versions are discounted. The download includes 5 federal e-files and one state download. State e-file costs $19.99 (free for NY) or you can print and mail the state return.
Thanks

Interesting - this doesn't show up when I log in, but does with DH, even though most of our accounts are joint.

Well, he does the taxes, so just as well.

FWIW, I think your Fidelity rep has a role in what you are offered. IOW, it's not an automatic thing.

I have been in their Private Client Group for years, but never got the free TurboTax and didn't know about the offer. Last year I realized (thanks, Dimsumkid!) that I should be included, so I mentioned it to my Fidelity rep.

He simply said "Oh, I didn't realize you used that for your taxes. I'll put you on the list."

Shows up for the first time this year for me. I complained last year, so maybe that helped. But I switched to H&R Block last year and was satisfied. Planning to stay with it.

We hadn't gotten it before, but looked for it last year when Vanguard was offering it for free, and folks on this forum were nice enough to tell us where to look on the Fidelity card and that a download version would be offered even though the language said "free online".

It was appreciated, because we had used Deluxe before, but were faced with needing the more expensive Premiere for 2014 taxes due to the schedule D change.

I would prefer to stick with Deluxe, but if Fidelity is offering Premier for free to their private clients we'll take it! Save $40 (which is what a Deluxe copy would cost us) - definitely.

Just checked this out and I qualify. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info. I just downloaded my free copy but I've never used Turbo tax before. I've been using H&R block Taxcut software for the last 10+ years. I'll play around with turbo tax and see if I like it better.

Edited : I like it already since it allowed me to import my data from H&R block.:)

Last edited:

+1

Following your example I contacted Fidelity and asked. They said I qualify, go buy and tell them how much, they'll reimburse. I just ordered.

+1

Following your example I contacted Fidelity and asked. They said I qualify, go buy and tell them how much, they'll reimburse. I just ordered.
After uploading a screenshot of my Amazon receipt, the Fidelity rep just confirmed they will reimburse me the $42.24. Nice. Tip of the hat to Dimsumkid and braumeister.

Thanks for the info. I just downloaded my free copy but I've never used Turbo tax before. I've been using H&R block Taxcut software for the last 10+ years. I'll play around with turbo tax and see if I like it better.

Edited : I like it already since it allowed me to import my data from H&R block.:)

I'm in the same boat. I have been using H&R for years....it is nice that Turbo Tax imports the H&R data.

Thanks for posting this ! I've been using H&R Block basic for years and years ($14.90 this year through Amazon). I transferred my accounts to Fidelity this year and now have Turbo Tax Premier for free. Saved $15 which will nearly buy me another dozen golf balls.

Hmm, I've been getting the download free or highly discounted ($10 for the Premier version) from Vanguard.

But I see no mention of it this year. When I search for Turbo Tax, there's a link to file online and downloads cost what appears to be retail price.

Anyone else not seeing it offered as a Vanguard customer?

Hmm, when I follow the links from Vanguard's site, I find the download options and Deluxe is 59.99 and Premier is 79.99.

When I follow the links from Fidelity, it ends up being like $5 cheaper.

When I check Amazon, Deluxe is $52-53.

Costco has better prices, 39.85 and 54.85, until 1/24:

Search Results: turbotax

Back
Top Bottom