will SS last until the killer asteroid?

will SS last until the killer asteroid in 2175?

"There's no reason to be alarmed, but scientists say a 1,500-foot-wide asteroid might slam into Earth in 2175, potentially killing us all."

The Extinction-Level Asteroid That Could Kill Us All in 2175 | Atlas Obscura
I'm sure by 2175 we will have the technology to destroy or change such an asteroids trajectory so it won't endanger the plant. I don't think much of anything will save SS as we know it today. SS is about 80 years old now. And while it has evolved as it has aged, I doubt if it will live to see 100, anywhere near it's current form.

Last edited:
I'm sure by 2175 we will have the technology to destroy or change such an asteroids trajectory so it won't endangered the plant. I don't think much of anything will save SS as we know it today. SS is about 80 years old now. And while it has evolved as it has aged, I doubt if it will live to see 100, anywhere near it's current form.

As a 43yo, I sure hope you're wrong! About SS, that is. I agree about the asteroid.

my nest egg should run out just before that happens

Has any govt program, especially one with such broad application over the populace, ever died? I say it will last well past the asteroid, but will continue to evolve, most likely toward more of a welfare program than it already is (for the low income earners now) probably by taxing more income without a commensurate increase in benefits. Therefore, at 55, I continue to assume i will get at least 60% of current projected benefits...it will probably be more than that

Asteroid or not at 81 Social Security is way past its full retirement age.

I'll probably miss it as I will be 230 years old.:LOL:

Oh, you are ancient. As for me, I'll be a dewy-eyed young lass of merely 227 when the asteroid arrives.

Like MichaelB, I'd love to be here when it happens.

"There's no reason to be alarmed, but scientists say a 1,500-foot-wide asteroid might slam into Earth in 2175, potentially killing us all."
Shouldn't that be "killing them all"? I think there will be at least 100% turnover before then.

Someone correct me, but IIRC, the dinosaur killer was thought to be about 6 miles across. 1500 ft would ruin a lot of folks day, but not so sure it would be an ELE. YMMV

It will fix global warming and issue in the next ice age.

I'm sure by 2175 we will have the technology to destroy or change such an asteroids trajectory so it won't endanger the plant.

I wouldn't count on it.

img_1764954_0_5561f8dca37b74d1e5a1581bf809ea49.jpg

Bad news: firecalc only goes up to 120 years.

Good news: "FIRECalc looked at the 26 possible 120 year periods in the available data, starting with a portfolio of $1,000,000 and spending your specified amounts each year thereafter.
Here is how your portfolio would have fared in each of the 26 cycles. The lowest and highest portfolio balance at the end of your retirement was $1,000,000 to $449,233,290, with an average at the end of $163,983,487. (Note: this is looking at all the possible periods; values are in terms of the dollars as of the beginning of the retirement period for each cycle.)
For our purposes, failure means the portfolio was depleted before the end of the 120 years. FIRECalc found that 0 cycles failed, for a success rate of 100.0%."

($1M portfolio, $40K spending, 159 years, rest defaults)

I'm sure by 2175 we will have the technology to destroy or change such an asteroids trajectory so it won't endanger the plan[e]t.
Yet more monkeying around by mankind to "improve" the natural world to suit our selfish purposes. Have we learned nothing? After all the mistakes we've made in the past, how can we be sure there won't be unintended consequences from steering the asteroid away--it might hit Mars and stir up a dust cloud that could last for centuries--an asteroid that never would have touched Mars without our meddling. How will we ever get this crazy idea through the EPA? Seems way too risky to me.

Yet more monkeying around by mankind to "improve" the natural world to suit our selfish purposes. Have we learned nothing? After all the mistakes we've made in the past, how can we be sure there won't be unintended consequences

Up until this point of your post, I thought you were commenting on SS....

I think there will be at least 100% turnover before then.
Probably, since that event is still ~160 years in the future and the oldest living person on earth today (according to Wikipedia) is 116 (almost 117). BTW, she is the last person still alive that was born in the 1800's. (Nov 29, 1899).

Probably, since that event is still ~160 years in the future and the oldest living person on earth today (according to Wikipedia) is 116 (almost 117). BTW, she is the last person still alive that was born in the 1800's. (Nov 29, 1899).

That's actually kind of sobering. I used to know dozens of folks born in the 1800s (including my and DW's grand parents.) IIRC, the last verified survivor of the Civil War died in the mid 1950's ('56??). I still recall the news - it may have even made the "Weekly Reader" that we used to enjoy reading at school. Makes me feel very old. But I digress - again.

Back
Top Bottom