Cell Phone Question

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here is another stupid question. When my cell phone is turned OFF is there any signal or cyber connection (if that is the right term) trying to connect to my phone??

The reason being is carrying my phone and not having it on for safety reasons. Also when my phone is OFF if I turn it ON then I get messages or phone calls that were missed. Do these missed calls or messages go to phone after it is turned back ON or are they some how connecting to my phone while it is OFF?

Thanks and hope I explained myself clearly enough.

when it is off, it is off. Your messages and voicemail are delivered when you turn it back on.

If you are turning it off for safety as in not being disturbed then you can mute it or set it to a "do not disturb" mode. That would allow you to be able to use it if needed without going through the whole reboot sequence.

Here is another stupid question. When my cell phone is turned OFF is there any signal or cyber connection (if that is the right term) trying to connect to my phone??

The reason being is carrying my phone and not having it on for safety reasons. Also when my phone is OFF if I turn it ON then I get messages or phone calls that were missed. Do these missed calls or messages go to phone after it is turned back ON or are they some how connecting to my phone while it is OFF?

Thanks and hope I explained myself clearly enough.

How about just leaving the phone on standby instead of off? That way, you still can get calls and the blips and beeps :( of message notifications.

Or select "Airplane Mode" - that turns off all wireless communication. The phone can still be used for apps that don't connect, or looking at the time, etc.

"The reason being is carrying my phone and not having it on for safety reasons."

What do you mean by 'not having it on for safety reasons'? If you are carrying it for safety reasons, you want it on. If you fall or something, you might have trouble being aware enough to get it turned on, wait for it to boot, etc.

Or do you want it off "for safety reasons"? I don't understand.

-ERD50

Some turn off their phones to avoid the possible effects of electromagnetic radiation while carrying the phone, putting the phone in airplane mode should stop any emissions from the phone.

I worked at an oil refinery, only UL certified explosion proof electronics were allowed to be turned on in the plant. Airplane mode wasn't legal per the electrical classifications. But the previous commenter was correct, off is totally off and was allowed.

Off is off, no power, no incoming or outgoing signals. Airport mode stops all transmissions from the phone but the phone is still powered and receiving signals from GPS satellites. e.g. I use my phone in airplane mode while hiking so I can use my sat-nav apps while conserving the battery as it is not searching for a cell signal ( we usually hike in areas with no cell phone coverage).

Have also used my phone extensively in airplane mode using Google maps in foreign countries as you can download Googles maps for the areas you wish to travel and save on roaming and data charges.

Thanks and that is what I thought when it is OFF it is OFF. Lol The reason for asking is I read more and more about not to carry a phone in pocket for health issues. I carry mine in my front pocket or clipped to my pants. So in Airplane Mode I could leave it ON and I wouldn't be trying to connect and no radiation waves would be admitted with it in Airplane Mode.

Thanks and that is what I thought when it is OFF it is OFF. Lol The reason for asking is I read more and more about not to carry a phone in pocket for health issues. I carry mine in my front pocket or clipped to my pants. So in Airplane Mode I could leave it ON and I wouldn't be trying to connect and no radiation waves would be admitted with it in Airplane Mode.

We've seen how repeating a concept (even if totally wrong) starts to bother people and some will change their minds or habits because of this. Is there any creditable source for cell phone EM causing health issues?

Here is one source I found: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

One quote:
The only consistently recognized biological effect of radiofrequency energy is heating. The ability of microwave ovens to heat food is one example of this effect of radiofrequency energy. Radiofrequency exposure from cell phone use does cause heating to the area of the body where a cell phone or other device is held (ear, head, etc.). However, it is not sufficient to measurably increase body temperature, and there are no other clearly established effects on the body from radiofrequency energy.
I guess there are side issues like dirty phones, or distraction while driving:
7 Surprising Ways Cell Phones Affect Your Health - ABC News

I worry about vibrating mode causing horniness.

... The reason for asking is I read more and more about not to carry a phone in pocket for health issues. ....

Stop reading, seriously. On a list of 10,000 things you should worry about, that should be 10,001.

Lsbcal had some good refs for you. I think you are more likely to do damage to your thumb from pushing the button on/off, or risk having someone bump into you because you were distracted while focusing on the on/off button, than to suffer any health effects from those low power radio waves.

Relax - ERD50

You are most likely right. Lol For 15 years in my last job I was on the cell phone a lot! If anyone should have health effects from a cell phone it might be me. Lol

Thanks

Stop reading, seriously. On a list of 10,000 things you should worry about, that should be 10,001.

Lsbcal had some good refs for you. I think you are more likely to do damage to your thumb from pushing the button on/off, or risk having someone bump into you because you were distracted while focusing on the on/off button, than to suffer any health effects from those low power radio waves.

Relax - ERD50

My view of the health issues of cell phones and Dect 6.0 cordless phones have evolved and I (actually, who knew :)) agree with ERD50 on this about don't fear the radiation as the radiation is a different type that doesn't cause cancer. Thus, having a phone by your ear isn't that same as exposing your ear to the rays of the sun for hours and hours at a time.

That's my understand as of today, I'm I'm sticking to it :cool:.

I'm more concerned about GPS following me around than microwave radiation. No particular reason to be concerned on my part. I don't go places I "shouldn't." I just don't like the concept. SO... I turn off the GPS and leave the phone on. If I make a 911 call, the GPS is activated.

Now, "just because you're paranoid..." A good friend on the mainland picked me up at the airport last time I returned, and we decided to stop at the drag races for a couple of hours instead of returning "home" immediately. Friend left phone message with his DW that we would be late by a couple of hours. When friend got home, his DW asked him what the heck he was doing in such-and-such city. Turns out his tech savvy son in law used his own "family plan" phone to track my friends whereabouts. Again, there was no "there" there, but it really PO'd my friend. I showed him how to turn off the GPS tracking. Sure enough, next family gathering a few days later, son in law grabbed my friend's phone and turned the GPS back on and asked why he had turned it off. Big row at Sunday dinner. YMMV

Whether your GPS is on or not, when the phone is on the whereabouts of the phone are known to the service providers and available to law enforcement and justice systems.

The phone companies use the data for tuning their systems, and enforcement and justice systems use it in investigations. But this would not be available to just anybody.

Just my opinion, but the son-in-law was waaay out of bounds turning the GPS back on and for tracking your friend in the first place. His DW should have just called him and asked where he was if she wanted to know.

Whether your GPS is on or not, when the phone is on the whereabouts of the phone are known to the service providers and available to law enforcement and justice systems.

The phone companies use the data for tuning their systems, and enforcement and justice systems use it in investigations. But this would not be available to just anybody.

Just my opinion, but the son-in-law was waaay out of bounds turning the GPS back on and for tracking your friend in the first place. His DW should have just called him and asked where he was if she wanted to know.

Actually, I think some programs will report the location based on cell tower info, if GPS isn't available. I'm pretty sure I've seen that with WMD (Where's My Droid", but I have not tested in in along while. Not sure how they know, the phone may have some of this data that is available to the program (at least the freq or channel # they are on - maybe they can map that?).

Also, maybe the family has a reason fro tracking him? You just never know.

-ERD50

They can identify the tower and the antenna on that tower -- no GPS required.

Edit to add:

A phone that is turned on periodically connects to the network, and the network determines which tower/antenna combination will work best for that phone in its current location. These can be as often as every hour.

Each phone on a CDMA network has a unique MEID - Mobile Equipment Identification Number -- like a serial number.

In GSM networks, an IMEI - International Mobile Equipment Identity - serves the same purpose as an MEID in a CDMA network. They are all unique.

A parallel to MEID/IMEI in an IP network would be the MAC address on an ethernet adapter - those are all unique, but they can be spoofed..

All the network knows is the MEID or the IMEI. The provider links that ID with the phone number and subscribed services. You may have encountered some of this terminology when porting a phone service from one phone to another or porting a phone from one provider to another.

This communication (and much more) is logged by the provider and is available from them for some period of time after it is collected.

Now if you have GPS data, that would be more accurate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom