Masters practice round

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those of you who've attended any of the practice rounds at the Masters in recent years, what are your best tips for parking?

I see there is a large area right next to the course that's designated as "free parking" for patrons, so that's what I'm planning to utilize. But I'm wondering how early in the day that will fill up. The course opens at 8:00am, so will the free parking be gone by, say, 7:30am? Earlier? Later?

Also, for a practice round day, what is the traffic situation like around the course and parking area? Should I plan on sitting in a long, slow-moving line of cars waiting to get into the free parking area if I arrive around 7:00am? What's the best strategy to ensure I have a reasonably good experience?

Went in 2012, returning on Monday this year (hope the rain holds out). It is the best course by far, it will make every other course you've been on seem like chopped liver - a truly once in a lifetime treat. You won't regret it.

They have a great system -- just get close and follow the signs and the State Troopers telling you where to drive. The main parking area is right next the course, if you get there by 8:30 or so you should be fine. Of course we got there at 7:30 last time (Wednesday Par 3 tourney day) and the lot was 1/3 full.

The masters dot com website has patron information, including parking. If you follow those directions you'll do fine. There are few delays, just enough time to get the cars parked. Enjoy and bring your camera (no cell phones) for practice rounds.

I am envious. I have entered the lottery for tickets for years, never a sniff. I know of folks who have won the lottery more than once.
Even when I used to w*rk, everyone was on notice that if I ever had tickets, I wasn't showing up for work. No matter what.
Never happened.
Have fun!

DH attended the Masters in 2013 (practice round). They had transportation to the course so didn't deal with parking. He said the course is pristine and everything is very well organized and he was surprised the concessions were inexpensive good. His only regret is not getting a pimento sandwich.
Have fun!

Thanks for the input, folks! I'm really looking forward to it, although the forecast as of this morning says 90% chance of showers & thunderstorms in Augusta the day I'll be there. That could certainly put a damper on the experience. If there really are thunderstorms that day -- enough to warrant closing the course -- I wonder if they would issue some sort of refund.

This reminds me of a co-worker (at former megacorp job) who had also won a couple of tickets and was soo excited about it. Not being a golf person, it was a complete mystery to me how someone could get excited about BEING SELECTED TO BUY tickets for a PRACTICE round... :nonono: Well, obviously, I had no appreciation of how big a deal this was! Anyway, this remained a topic for bantering back and forth between the two of us every Spring, but I now fully understand :bow:

Enjoy your trip, Sojourner!

Thanks for the input, folks! I'm really looking forward to it, although the forecast as of this morning says 90% chance of showers & thunderstorms in Augusta the day I'll be there. That could certainly put a damper on the experience. If there really are thunderstorms that day -- enough to warrant closing the course -- I wonder if they would issue some sort of refund.
If you haven't attended a Masters, you're in for a treat. I've played golf most of my life, and had the good fortune to attend several majors and famous courses - there is nothing like the Masters at Augusta. It's magical. Every round is special, but the back nine at the Masters on Sunday is golf's equivalent of the Super Bowl, the World Series IMO. And seeing it on TV doesn't begin to do justice to the manicured beauty, or the incredible, almost shocking topography (TV flattens it out). Have a ball, and do everything that occurs to you while you are there, don't hold back.

Last edited:
Went last year for Saturday's round. Got to the course about 730 ish. Plenty of parking available. First thing I did is walk the back 9 backwards from 18 to 10. What a treat to see the holes I've been watching for years in person. When I got to 15 there was someone dressed in caddie overalls showing patrons exactly where Phill hit his approach shot from the year before. On 10 green they were setting the pin. Men with green jackets and announcers hitting puts, grounds crew with levels and measuring tapes. Quite a process. I'll give you a tip. In front of the stands between 15 green and 16 tee is a great spot. You can watch the approach shot on 15 and see who makes it in 2 and you can watch the pros walk to 16 tee close up and see the tee shot on 16. Have fun!

They do a good job with parking. Well organized. I have arrived around 8 and still been able to park nearby.

Hope it doesn't rain for you. I wouldn't count on a refund, but have never experienced a rain out. I had tickets for Tuesday this year, but several of my buddies backed out. So I sold them. Not disappointed though, I've been lucky enough to go several times. It really is a great experience......such a pretty place.

Back
Top Bottom