Progressive glasses - BIG adjustment?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After 18 years happily using cheaters/readers or cheapo generic prescription bifocals, I got my first real prescription progressive glasses today, one pair daylight and one pair sunglasses. I only needed glasses for reading until recently, but now my distance vision is slightly off too.

Holy smokes, this is going to take some getting used to! I have to move my head A LOT (vs just moving my eyes side to side like I did for 62 years) to find the upper and lower focus sweet spots. It appears I have to be looking almost dead straight ahead, anything peripheral, upper or lower, is (very) fuzzy. I need to move my head side to side slightly to read a sentence across a page, wasn't expecting that.

With the the progressive sunglasses depth perception seems off, like depth is compressed a little. Pulling into my garage for the first time with the sunglasses I nearly scrapped my passenger mirror in the side of the garage entry. :facepalm: And at some angles, there's a thin almost glowing blue haze over some objects - no I do NOT use drugs.

But hopefully it just takes a little time to get used to it. If not, I guess I'll go back to separate glasses for far and close, and the nuisance of carrying both at times.

Thought some of you experienced progressives might be amused. :blush:

Last edited:
I got my first pair of progressives five-six years ago and had a similar experience. I forced myself to wear them and adjusted to them after a couple of weeks. Now, I like them very much, and I greatly appreciate no longer having to remove my glasses constantly when I looking up from reading or away from my computer. I pretty much put them on in the morning and leave them on while I'm indoors. I don't need them for driving or far distance.

-Wino

I got a pair of them many years ago.... the person said that I should get HD lenses as they have a much larger 'sweet spot' for focus... if you can live with progressives other problems but do not like the out of focus area then go this way...

HOWEVER, I just could not stand them... like you, I move my eyes from side to side to view things.... and everything was wavy.... it drove me batty... one of my sisters said 'well, I treat it like I just came out of water and need a second to adjust'.... SAY WHAT:confused: No, I move my eyes too much and it is giving me headaches... I tried for a few weeks... at first a few hours a day, but that did not work.... then just 'cold turkey' and wore them for days (IIRC 4 or 5)... nope, back to my old single vision...

BTW, I cannot stand bifocals either... and I had them from when I was 5 until early 20s... now they are a pain... I do have problems reading small type and I have very bad vision... so I take off my glasses and put it close to my face so I can read...

HD Progressive Lenses | LensCrafters

HD PROGRESSIVE LENS BENEFITS While HD lenses are a great option for single vision prescriptions (nearsighted or farsighted), they do even more for progressive lens wearers. Digital progressive lenses offer a 40% wider field of vision, and with an improved transition between reading and distance zones, they make it a lot easier to get used to progressives. The LC-HD Enhanced View Progressive™ can be personalized to your prescription and frame to give you better clarity and reduced distortion.

High-Definition Eyeglass Lenses Offer Sharper Vision

I've been wearing them for almost 20 years. It does take some getting used to, and some may have more trouble adapting than others, but I'd say give yourself some more time to adjust.

I got a pair of them many years ago.... the person said that I should get HD lenses as they have a much larger 'sweet spot' for focus... if you can live with progressives other problems but do not like the out of focus area then go this way...
Mine are HD, and the side to side focus is very narrow. Non HD must be really hard to get used to?

If I look at the first word in the sentence above, the last word is way out of focus if I don't move my head...

Differnt Contact Lens in Each Eye

My distance vision is awful and my close up is getting worse with age. So, I have tried various glasses as well as the multiple contact lens approach.

This is the only approach that doesn't quickly give me a raging headach:
...I take off my glasses and put it close to my face so I can read...

It's very individual.

DW took between one and two months to get used to her first progressives.

I took about five minutes.

I adjusted almost immediately. Like braumeister said, it's an individual thing. My head automatically tilts to find the sweet spot without my having to think about it.

I'm looking at Rx sunglasses for the first time (clip-ons won't fit over my new everyday frames) and I'm debating whether to get bifocals or not. I used up my insurance benefit on the regular glasses, so I'll probably just get single-vision sunglasses. I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time reading the speedometer or not.

I know what you are describing. Mine went away within a week. I attribute that to the fact I was wearing them every moment I was awake.

I don't do well with progressives. I don't think my fine muscle coordination in my neck is good enough. I wore them every waking moment (years ago when I had them), and did so for several years since I had spent so much on them. It was exhausting to try to tilt my head just enough to get the right correction.

That's OK - - after cataract surgery, I don't need distance correction any more. I just need some 2.00 readers for up close. Amazon has them at 3 pairs for $10 and I love the lower price.

Last edited:
I have had progressive lenses for so long that I can't even remember when I first got them. IIRC I adjusted very easily, within a day or so. OTOH, way back in my 20s, I tried contacts, which were a miserable failure. I guess everyone is different.

I adjusted easily, but it can be a problem trying to get the 'sweet spot' for reading, especial, it seems at night (eyes just tired?). Plus, my eyes seem to change for near focus within ~ 6 months.

I bought these for reading in bed ~ 18 months ago, and while the reviews are mixed/poor, they work fine for me. And I just readjust for reading distance and as my eyes change. If they break, I'll buy a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/ADLENS-USA-I...id=1492809842&sr=8-1&keywords=B00QKV1AR0&th=1

-ERD50

Reactions: W2R
I've had progressive glasses for some time and had no problems with them until my eyes changed and I need bifocals. Now I have progressive plus bifocals. My eyes, brain pretty much adjusted to this combination until when the sun sets. Then I have trouble getting a clear very sharp focus when driving. Sucks getting older :blush:.

I tried progressives once. I am very nearsighted. It was also the first time that I tried high index material for the lenses. I felt like you do, that there was a small slot of clear vision and that everything else was fuzzy. I was miserable! For what this pair of glasses cost me (upcharge for high index, strong prescription, progressives and Transitions) I was just plain baffled at all the compromises I was required to make to be so miserable.

To tell the truth, I am way past caring that other people see lines in my glasses. My ability to make the most of my vision and carry on my life was impacted by the optometry industry trying to convince me that this was an important improvement.

I tried to love those progressive lenses for at least a month and then I went back and had them redone as regular bifocals. Later I moved to trifocals which work just fine for me. I still don't care if people see lines in my lenses, I see OUT just fine.

I have had progressives for about 10 years. Every time I get a new pair, even if the changes are minor, there is an adjust time.

BUT, I also had a case where the shop had to remake them twice, because they did not have the center point located correctly. Particularly if you are on the computer a lot (like now :D), the sweet spot is different.

If I am doing any kind of close-in work, I still need to take the glasses off, but that is only a few times a week.

Give the glasses a chance, but don't hesitate to go back and have them check.

I adjusted easily, but it can be a problem trying to get the 'sweet spot' for reading, especial, it seems at night (eyes just tired?). Plus, my eyes seem to change for near focus within ~ 6 months.

I bought these for reading in bed ~ 18 months ago, and while the reviews are mixed/poor, they work fine for me. And I just readjust for reading distance and as my eyes change. If they break, I'll buy a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/ADLENS-USA-I...id=1492809842&sr=8-1&keywords=B00QKV1AR0&th=1

-ERD50

Those are so COOL!!! Thank you! I didn't realize that they were that inexpensive. In fact, I just ordered a pair this afternoon, just for fun. They were $27.99 with free Prime shipping, and I paid for it with my Amazon Visa rewards points so they cost me nothing. If they don't work for me, so what; at least I will have given it a shot.

My eyes change a lot too, especially at night, and although I have some 1.75 reading glasses as well as 2.00 ones, sometimes it would be nice to be able to adjust the correction further, as needed.

I've had them for years. I have a pair of single lens sunglasses I use when driving and playing golf. Never adjusted very well to progressive when trying to hit a golf ball.

I failed miserably at using progressive lenses. DW loves them. Go figure.
I failed at using progressives made for both close work and distance vision, as I found the area I could read with to simply be too small.

A few years later, I turned out to be OK without a distance prescription. I now use progressives that go from close work to computer distance and wear them just about all day in the office.

I certainly plan to give them a chance, they told me it could take a while to adjust, and I accept that. DW has had progressives for years, and told me it took her a while to adjust. ForEyes told me I have 30 days to replace/rework the glasses. We'll see, but a confusing first day with over $500 worth of "fancy" new glasses replacing a bunch of readers that cost me $5-15 each...

I felt like you do, that there was a small slot of clear vision and that everything else was fuzzy. I was miserable! For what this pair of glasses cost me, I was just plain baffled at all the compromises I was required to make to be so miserable.

To tell the truth, I am way past caring that other people see lines in my glasses.
My reaction as well, but I'm at day one.

And I don't care about appearance either (bifocal vs progressive). I thought progressives would be easier to see with, maybe not. And it's my own fault as they offered bifocals, but I got the impression single vision or progressives seemed to be the only choices anyone cared about.

Last edited:
When I first got progressives a few years ago, it took me a couple of weeks to adjust. Just be very careful going down stairs!

My eyes have gotten bad enough that going without glasses while cycling or boating was a problem, and I prefer not to wear my prescription sunglasses, so I recently started wearing multifocal contact lenses. The reading correction isn't optimal so I only wear the contacts when I'm active. Once I'm in for the night and showered I switch back to glasses. But I like the contacts for "sports" wear-- they allow me to wear my sport sunglasses which have better moisture management and are safer in case of getting bumped.

I also splurged for a dedicated pair of "computer" glasses. They are optimized for the typical screen distance, with the lower part of the lens for reading. They were a life saver while volunteering with AARP for tax prep. I also wear them while sewing. I recommend a pair like that for anyone who spends a lot of time on the computer or with a hobby that has you doing detail work at arm's distance.

I have had progressives for about 10 years. Every time I get a new pair, even if the changes are minor, there is an adjust time.

BUT, I also had a case where the shop had to remake them twice, because they did not have the center point located correctly. Particularly if you are on the computer a lot (like now :D), the sweet spot is different.

If I am doing any kind of close-in work, I still need to take the glasses off, but that is only a few times a week.

When I first got mine, the optometrist asked about computer activity. My specs were designed with that in mind. Perhaps that's why I didn't have any problems adjusting.

Back
Top Bottom