Best Voice

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
Who are your favorite voices? The question regards singers, but I would like to hear about your top other voices (like the guys who do those screaming car commercials).
I would have to say one of my top would be Cat Stevens (Yusuf). All of his songs are so smooth. Very unique.
cbo

The greatest singing voice I ever heard was Luciano Pavarotti. I could listen to him all day.

The greatest speaking voice I ever heard was Abba Eban (former Israeli ambassador to the UN). I remember being absolutely mesmerized by his speeches at the UN during the Six Day War.

I loved Mr. A's voice on the phone the very first time I talked to him. For some reason, I like baritones from western PA.

James Earl Jones's voice has always been a favorite.

I adored Diane Rheam's voice, from back before her unfortunate vocal deterioration.

Best singing voice (female) is Eva Cassidy, without a doubt. It's a real shame that she die so young.

Best singing voice (female) is Eva Cassidy, without a doubt. It's a real shame that she die so young.

Agree on both points.

Male voices...always liked Sam Elliott (and Waylon Jennings).

Last edited:
It's probably not the kind of answer you were soliciting, but one of my favorite voices in the world is that of my eldest brother. His voice is soft, engaging, and mellifluous. His use of language is poetic, and to listen to him relate even the most mundane tale is a joy. Obviously, the family connection influences my preference for his voice greatly. I have always felt that as long as he is around, everything is going to be OK. He always looked out for us all. He suffered a small stroke a few years ago, and his mastery of language has suffered a little since then, unfortunately.

If given the choice of listening to any voice in the world, it would be that of my eldest brother, before his stroke. I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his friends or neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good, and there was a very caring and engaging person behind them.

PS - I still love listening to him, of course.

Last edited:
It's probably not the kind of answer you were soliciting, but one of my favorite voices in the world is that of my eldest brother. His voice is soft, engaging, and mellifluous. His use of language is poetic, and to listen to him relate even the most mundane tale is a joy. Obviously, the family connection influences my preference for his voice greatly. I have always felt that as long as he is around, everything is going to be OK. He always looked out for us all. He suffered a small stroke a few years ago, and his mastery of language has suffered a little since then, unfortunately.

If given the choice of listening to any voice in the world, it would be that of my eldest brother, before his stroke. I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good.

You have an old clip of his so we can hear it? I would be honored to be able to listen to him.

Elvis and Sinatra had great voices. Also, Willie Nelson's is quite unique.

If given the choice of listening to any voice in the world, it would be that of my eldest brother, before his stroke. I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his friends or neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good, and there was a very caring and engaging person behind them.

Major Tom,
Those are some kind things to say about your brother in this age of meanness. Enjoyed reading that.

I like the familiar voices. Or ones that sound familiar for some reason. Vin Scully comes to mind. Nat King Cole. Mel Blanc as almost any of the great Looney Tunes characters.

Muir

Two others that come to mind. Satchmo and Billie Holliday

I know this is really old fashioned and un-cool, but I have always been totally awed by Grace Slick's seemingly limitless dynamics and control in "White Rabbit":

OK, you know I HAD to add Aretha Franklin:

Last edited:
And who can forget Marcel Marceau?

Totally agree on Grace Slick! Thanks for the link. I never ever get tired of listening to White Rabbit. And not yet mentioned, Neil Diamond. My 8 track collection consisted mostly of his recordings.

As a guy in his early 60s, a couple voices from my youth still resonant to this day: Art Linkletter and Eric Fleming (Gil Favor of the Rawhide TV series). I dunno why, but I still recall their distinctive voices without hearing a word, and love their tone/timbre or whatever it is.

As for singers, gotta agree that Eva Cassidy was exceptional. Here she is performing my favorite pop song of all time:

Last edited:

"His voice is soft, engaging, and mellifluous." The tone or timbre of a voice can be wonderful to one who actually listens.

"I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his friends or neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good, and there was a very caring and engaging person behind them." Some people of yesterday took the time to listen in their head, just a split-second before they actually spoke, to try to speak clearly and succinctly.

Many people of today, to my ear, do not try to first hear in their inner ear what they are about to say. without using and, uh, oh to create a massive paragraph of thought. I also hear too many: Do you know what I mean? Awesomes. Or the word like used in place of a speaking verb: I was like what you doing?

Sounds like your brother took the time to care about how he spoke and used his voice.

Last edited:
Perhaps not the very best voice, but I like her:

Back
Top Bottom