Email Spam - How much do you get?

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I use Gmail, which does a pretty good job allocating the right emails to my spam folder. I used to check it monthly, and delete 20-30. Lately, I have noticed I am getting 10 or more a day, mostly like these.

Has anyone else noticed a recent up tick in spam?

Last edited:
Every few months I will get an up-tick in spam for a few weeks. I dutifully report each email as spam by clicking on the appropriate button. After a while either the spammers give up, or the spam blockers have taken care of the problem. I don't know which.

I rarely get email spam that makes it beyond the various filters (both gmail and Apple mail).

By far the larger problem for me is phone SPAM.

At least with email SPAM there is a technology solution - scanning the text of the emails. With phone SPAM all you have is the number and until they stop allowing folks to use fake numbers, it's hard to see a solution.

I probably get about 10-15 spam emails a day.

My spam filter (use email reader, not web based) does a really good job of identifying and routing the spam to the junk folder as long as I keep up with the marking/training of what is spam.

I have a different email that I use when some site wants an email address. That one gets a bunch of spam. Gmail, not so much. Some days none, some days a couple. I don't think I've ever had 10 in a day. Most of gmail is in my spam folder, not my inbox.

I have a different email that I use when some site wants an email address. That one gets a bunch of spam. Gmail, not so much. Some days none, some days a couple. I don't think I've ever had 10 in a day. Most of gmail is in my spam folder, not my inbox.

I do this as well, sort of a 'sacrificial' email account, where I don't worry about who's going to get their hands on it.

Don't get too much spam either.

I enroll on websites using my internet suppliers assigned email ID and they have a good spam screen. Then I forward the result to hotmail and hotmail also moves stuff to junk so not much gets to my inbox.

Thanks all for your responses. In addition to a spam folder, Gmail also has a Promotions folder. This gets most of the emails from internet sites, which I am not counting as spam in this situation, though I should probably tag several that way since I never look at them.

What I have seen in the Spam folder is a sharp increase in Scams, as you can see from my example. On occasion, in the past, I have opened one or two just to see the whole scam. I know better than to do that now, but I am guessing this identified my email as active and "interested" and the address was sold/distributed to others.

At least the filters are working, so the useful inbox is not overloaded.

I very rarely received any spam until late July of 2016, when Fidelity found some of my personal info on the Dark Web. While there was no actual account hacking, Fido did wash my account and gave me new account numbers, after I got my hard drive cleaned (it was actually not working well and got replaced).

But that's when my spam email began flooding my email. It took a while for me to figure out how to filter it out. I set my spam filter to its strictest setting, which had the effect of sending some legit mail to the Junk Mail folder. I then had to get used to checking that folder for legit email, especially if I began corresponding with new, legit contacts. I use a PC-based email system, but I have to the web-based version to utilize the spam filter, another minor nuisance.

The spam has dropped off some, but I still see 2-3 emails in there per day. I can block domain names, but the spammers change them like every time to make them unique; it's like trying to scoop sand from the ocean! I'd like to use wild cards in the blocked domain names, but that feature isn't available.

Has anyone else noticed a recent up tick in spam?

I haven't seen any recent uptick.

I regularly get 3-10 spam emails per day. All are dutifully relegated to my spam folder by gmail. I seldom check any more.

One trick I use - whenever I register for anything online, I use a gmail address like "myname+sitename@gmail.com". Anything to the right of the + sign is ignored by gmail, so it all ends up in my inbox or spam folder, but I can always read the details.

For example, if I am registering at the reallyfantastictravelplaces web site I would use an email like "myname+reallyfantastic@gmail.com".

That way, if I start getting a batch of spam emails, I know what triggered them.

Rarely, if ever, do I get email spam these days. As was noted by others above, the phone spam is another matter entirely. I think I get a half-dozen fake calls per day, and they never leave a message.

Back
Top Bottom