Poll:Did either one of your parents smoke?

Did either one of your parents smoke?

• Yes

Votes: 150 80.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 19.8%

• Total voters
Both my parents smoked. One always had a cigarette lit and the other a pipe. Both died too young of cancer.

My Mom never smoked. My Dad smoked a pipe and cigars for years, but never inhaled. Right or wrong, I voted no because smoking cigarettes is a different and higher risk behavior than pipes or cigars. FWIW

Dad smoked heavily until he had an anuerism in his Aorta that nearly killed (in his 50's). Mom smoked socially - weird.

I was a smoker by age 13 and a heavy smoker by 16. All of my role models were tobacco users. :( Never had a problem buying them as a kid. Some stores were more greedy than others. Not hard for a 13 YO kid with an addiction to figure out. I also worked PT - money not an issue (when it occasionally was, swipe some from dear ol' dad)

Quit in my mid 30's. Cost? Nope. Health? Nope. Inconvenience? Hell yeah! This was in the early 90's and smoking was becoming heavily restricted on flights, many restaurants, etc (thank God!).

Dad smoked as did almost all men at the time. Died at 56, in 1959. DW's dad never smoked, died at 50 in 1958.
My mom didn't smoke died at age 84
DW's mom didn't smoke died at age 74

DW's one brother didn't smoke, died at age 50
Other brother didn't smoke is now 78
Her cousin didn't smoke, died at age 54.

Both DM and DD smoked from around 13 to early 50's. Quit cold turkey. DM passed 3 years ago at 85 from lung cancer and adrenal cancer. Dad is still going at 81.

what a difference in numbers from the thread who smokes or did smoke.

My Mom never smoked. My Dad smoked a pipe and cigars for years, but never inhaled. Right or wrong, I voted no because smoking cigarettes is a different and higher risk behavior than pipes or cigars. FWIW

That is interesting information that pipes and cigars smokes have less risk.

It really doesn't matter but the thread title was " Did either one of your parents smoke" didn't indicate what type of smoking.

The poll results aren't surprising at all.

Thanks

i don't know if there is any data to prove it but from my observation smokers who smoke pipes, cigars and unfiltered ( roll you own ) cigarettes seem to live longer and stay healthier in that time .

having observed several smoking friends and relatives over the decades ( remember the pivotal ingredient to me not smoking was i already had breathing issues , not from any bias for or against smoking )

my father smoked 'roll your own 'cigarettes or a pipe ( almost exclusively ) but died from a non-smoking related cancer in his mid 40s

it is interesting to note the heavy bias of at least one smoking parent compared to the members strongly staying away from smoking ,

yes you would expect a tilt of a lesser degree , i suspect more members are health conscious ( at least now ) and also more fiscally prudent ,( saving where they can , to meet their goals ) .

Both my parents smoked from their teenage years in the 1940’s until they both passed in the last 8 years. They both would light up every evening after supper at kitchen table while I would eat dessert. Between the smell of the smoke and seeing the used cigarettes in the ashtray I had no desire to smoke let alone try it. My DM died of heart failure and DF died of COPD

Neither of mine smoked, but I did for a few years in my 20’s.

Recently, I've been going through hours of 8mm film of my family's events from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

What hits you right away is all the 50s films (mostly parties and family get togethers) have people smoking... Like CONSTANTLY. Also noticed a lot of liquor tables. "Mad Men" is not an exaggeration. Noticed my grandmother (died at 66, heart disease) reaching for a light while kids were opening presents.

The 60s were not much different until the end years. I guess the surgeon general's report made some impact. At least it slowed down consumption. In the 70s films, there was no smoking. There may be ashtrays around, but no active smoking. I think the shame factor for posterity was starting to kick in.

Back
Top Bottom