RE on 1st of the year at 57

Canoeboy

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all, after lurking around a bit on the forum figured out it was time to intro myself. Have been taking major steps over past 18 months to RE from megacorp at end of 2018. 1) move from HCOL state (MN) to Lower COL area “back East” with mild and short winters, good fishing and fresh seafood. 2) downsized to fixer-upper on a lake with ample equity from sale of prior house to fund major improvements - no mortgage. 3) secured ability to work 100% remotely after the move. 4) Played cards right during leadership transition at work to land a nice RIF package with payout in 2019. 5) And before all that lived a reasonably frugal life to pack away and grow investments to enable DW and myself to RE at end of the year (and put our now freshman son through college) :dance::dance::dance:

Expect to be busy for a year or so renovating the house, then onto camping, touring, fishing, etc. Starting to kick around volunteer opportunities- plan to network with retired peers to figure that out. Not a big spender yet live a comfortable lifestyle. Cheers!!

It all sounds great. Well planned. Welcome to the fun part of your life.

Welcome and congrats on taking the steps to make this next stage possible.

Congrats! Excellent prep and plans.

I assume NC? Can't see the VA area a LCOL, but......

Anyway, welcome to the free zone! It's way fun over here. I escaped about 16 months ago. I love "being on the lam" permanently. DW occasionally conducts a dragnet, and I am sentenced to chores, but usually get early release for good behavior. :LOL:

VA is lower COL compared to MN - probably considered a MCOL area. Don’t like the county personal property tax in VA, but overall taxes in VA much lower than HCOL MN, especially RE taxes. Also, much more favorable state tax rules for retirees in VA. NC is one of our favorite camping areas, just ended up in coastal VA for other reasons. Planning to do the NC BBQ Trail at some point. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom