Aloha from Hawaii!!

tropitan

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello all,
My wife and I are both 59 and relatively new to the FIRE concept. I am looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years, and am seriously considering relocating to Oregon (Possibly the Willammette Valley, maybe Eugene). If anyone from Oregon has some words of wisdom in that regard, please respond.
Likewise, if anyone is considering a move to Hawaii (esp. the Big Island), feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have been here almost 20 years from California.
Thanks for your warm welcome!

Why the serious consideration? Is it COL, quality of life (QOL) factoring in?

Oh, welcome btw. You will LOVE this forum. One of the better one's on the internet today, well moderated and cared for.

Hello all,
My wife and I are both 59 and relatively new to the FIRE concept. I am looking forward to retirement in the next couple of years, and am seriously considering relocating to Oregon (Possibly the Willammette Valley, maybe Eugene). If anyone from Oregon has some words of wisdom in that regard, please respond.
Likewise, if anyone is considering a move to Hawaii (esp. the Big Island), feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have been here almost 20 years from California.
Thanks for your warm welcome!

We just spent the winter in Hawaii... 2 months on Molokai and 6 weeks on Maui.... Next time we winter in Hawaii we are thinking about 6 weeks on the Big Island and 2 months again in Molokai.... My question to you is where would you recommend we stay on the Big Island for 6 weeks (We only want to stay in 1 location, as moving is a hassle - even for snowbirds).

The quick answer is: I want to turn my real estate equity, about $1mil, into retirement income and debt-free, down-sized housing in Oregon, where we have family.

Wow! You picked wonderful spots to over-winter. Hawaii island has two climatic zones, in general: The leeward side for lots of year-round rain, and the Kona side for endless days of sunshine. BTW Kona is the only place in Hawaii where the seasons are reversed. Our rainy season is Apr. thru Oct., where as the dry season is Oct thru Apr.
I highly recommend Kona! Plus easy flights from the mainland.

Maybe not words of wisdom, but personal observation. As we lived in Oregon, we watched not a few people move in, only to leave after a year or two. The scenery is awesome, but the price is overcast, gloomy skies for ~8 continuous months out of the year. It didn't bother me, but it can be very depressing for some. So maybe the word of wisdom is to not buy a house immediately, but do a test run for a year or two, to make sure you'll be OK with the weather.

.................... The leeward side for lots of year-round rain, and the Kona side for endless days of sunshine. ................................

wen you buggas went switch um around? las time I wen look, prevailing winds was NE ...........maybe you guys only been there 20days? :)

Aloha, from Oahu! Good luck with the wetter, cooler climate. Beautiful, though. How's the VOG these days? I've been wanting to retire over in Kona, but the last time I was there, Fissure 8 was quite active, along with the VOG!

Maybe not words of wisdom, but personal observation. As we lived in Oregon, we watched not a few people move in, only to leave after a year or two. The scenery is awesome, but the price is overcast, gloomy skies for ~8 continuous months out of the year. It didn't bother me, but it can be very depressing for some. So maybe the word of wisdom is to not buy a house immediately, but do a test run for a year or two, to make sure you'll be OK with the weather.

Excellent advice, and yes, already planning a 'temporary' relocation there to see if the shoes fit. Thanks again.

wen you buggas went switch um around? las time I wen look, prevailing winds was NE ...........maybe you guys only been there 20days? :)

HaHa, yes everyone is surprised by that. It's an easy google search to find the rainfall by month for Kona. Aloha!

Aloha, from Oahu! Good luck with the wetter, cooler climate. Beautiful, though. How's the VOG these days? I've been wanting to retire over in Kona, but the last time I was there, Fissure 8 was quite active, along with the VOG!

Aloha, yes the VOG was bad for years, but since fissure 8 abruptly stopped a few months ago, the air is nearly as good as yours in Honozulu :)
Sorry, 'Honozoolu' :D

Tropitan:

Are there any serious reasons why you want to leave Kona? If you have a home paid for that is good right? Is healthcare and issue? Other than the reasons you specified in the OP. you can always visit the family, or have them visit you.

HaHa, yes everyone is surprised by that. It's an easy google search to find the rainfall by month for Kona. Aloha!

Not questioning the seasonal rainfall pattern..........just questioning whether the leeward side is the rainy side.

We just spent the winter in Hawaii... 2 months on Molokai and 6 weeks on Maui.... Next time we winter in Hawaii we are thinking about 6 weeks on the Big Island and 2 months again in Molokai.... My question to you is where would you recommend we stay on the Big Island for 6 weeks (We only want to stay in 1 location, as moving is a hassle - even for snowbirds).

What do you do on Molokai for two months?

Tropitan:

Are there any serious reasons why you want to leave Kona? If you have a home paid for that is good right? Is healthcare and issue? Other than the reasons you specified in the OP. you can always visit the family, or have them visit you.

My biggest reason for leaving is to cash out my equity. Plus, I still have a mortgage that I cannot hope to pay off anytime soon.
Perhaps more seriously, there are some environmental concerns here which could soon have a huge impact on property values: Namely coqui frogs and Little Fire Ants.

We moved to Kona 2 years ago from Oregon (19 years there). The weather and increasing traffic is going to be hard to get use to after living in Kona. I can’t imagine moving back—visit yes, but not year round. Make sure you can deal with the lack of sunshine in the winter months.

Last edited:
I live in Oregon and would not recommend moving here. I'm probably going to be moving out in a couple of years. Real estate is expensive, the weather leaves much to be desired, and huge tax increases are on the horizon. I've lived here since 1965 and watched what was once a beautiful state decline. I unfortunately don't see any hope for it.

We will be staying in Kapolei for a couple of weeks in June. Looking forward to catching up on some of my favorite flavors. Loco Moco, Ramen Ya, Haleiwa Joe's prime rib, Teddy's bigger burgers. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I live in Oregon and would not recommend moving here. I'm probably going to be moving out in a couple of years. Real estate is expensive, the weather leaves much to be desired, and huge tax increases are on the horizon. I've lived here since 1965 and watched what was once a beautiful state decline. I unfortunately don't see any hope for it.

Just curious..if not staying in Oregon, where would you go?

Back
Top Bottom