Love or Hate Cilantro

I love the smell and taste of cilantro. It tastes so fresh to me. I'm sorry for the people that lucked out in the lottery genes and taste soap instead.

I like it too, but think it tastes more like cilantro than soap or citrus.

I have never had unless it was used as a garnish on a meal out somewhere sometime but I doubt it. No interest in eating "food" like that.

I like it too, but think it tastes more like cilantro than soap or citrus.

You should know living in the land of Cilantro. When I lived in Ventura, sometimes they had the fields planted in cilantro, onions and tomatos. It was like driving through a bowl of salsa.

I have never had unless it was used as a garnish on a meal out somewhere sometime but I doubt it. No interest in eating "food" like that.

You've probably had it in salsa even if you didn't know it.

DW just made up a batch of cilantro jalapeño hummus. Can't wait to dig in!

Last edited:
I can tolerate a small (very small) amount, it is soapy to me if too much is used.

I love it more in Indian restaurants. From the store or the garden, it tastes different, less flavorful. DH doesn’t like it, so he says. But he loves my fresh salsa. Little does he know...

I love it. Use it nearly every day. Very fresh and aromatic. DW loves it as well. We grow it in the garden here from mid-March through early May.

we were going to grow it, but my local Mexican market always has it, sometimes for 3 bunches for a dollar. Why bother?

we were going to grow it, but my local Mexican market always has it, sometimes for 3 bunches for a dollar. Why bother?

My cilantro goes to seed very fast. I've given up growing it and just buy it at the market.

We love it and use it in many of our dishes.

My cousin says to her it tastes like dirty socks.

I asked how she knew that.

We love cilantro. I've been harvesting it from my garden over the last week or so (nice crop this year). DW used it the other day to make Thai Peanut Sauce, to put on grilled chicken........delicious!:)

For some (including DH!), it tastes horrible:

Britannica: "For those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population."

For some (including DH!), it tastes horrible:

Britannica: "For those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population."

My sympathies.:(

We love it. It tastes like cilantro, not like anything else but itself.

Then again, I am unable to taste cherries. Has to be genetic...I can taste artificial cherry flavoring, and cherry pie filling; but real cherries just taste like sweetened water to me.

Back
Top Bottom