Love or Hate Cilantro

Love it in small doses. Too much cilantro kills a dish, though. It's a fine line, but it's obvious to me when it has been crossed.

I like it most of the time. If it's going old it has a funny slimy smell and soapy taste.

I can't stand it. It tastes awful to me. Cilantro and black licorice are the only things I won't eat.

DW won't eat liquorice, fennel, or anything aniseedy; or cilantro; or cetery (especially her "worst food in the world", raw celery). She thinks they're all related.

DW won't eat liquorice, fennel, or anything aniseedy; or cilantro; or cetery (especially her "worst food in the world", raw celery). She thinks they're all related.

Interesting. I don't like liquorice, fennel or anise. However, I love cilantro and celery.

Interesting. I don't like liquorice, fennel or anise. However, I love cilantro and celery.

One more data point: I strongly dislike licorice, fennel, anise and celery. Love cilantro.

23 and me said I could like cilantro, but didn't like it. Love black licorice, celery is usually good but occasionally get some with a harsh taste. Liked rhubarb with sugar.

Tastes like Lifebuoy soap. Don't ask me how I know.

Actually, fennel, cilantro, celery, & anise are all botanically related. They're in the Umbelliferae (aka Apiaceae) plant family, along with lots of other food plants such as parsley, carrots, dill, caraway, & parsnips. Liquorice/licorice root, however, is from a plant in the bean family, despite the similar flavor of anise & fennel.

I love black licorice, cilantro, anise, etc but can't stand celery, brussel sprouts, cauliflower or broccoli.

I'll add to the post count...LOVE cilantro, celery, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, HATE black licorice and thyme. Neutral on broccoli. Have no idea what fennel tastes like.

Hate it as well, it actually tastes more like dirt to me than soap, but I don't eat a lot of soap. It's definitely a strong bitter taste and very overpowering.

Both my wife and I fall on the hate it side so our kids didn't stand a chance. It tastes exactly like somebody washing my mouth out with a bar of soap.

It's weird, I can't comprehend what it actually tastes like to the other 90% of the world.

"meh".

However I recently tasted some 'street tacos' with lots of lime and cilantro.

heh heh heh - I'm coming around. :flowers: On this item anyway.

I'm a "NO" for Cilantro. I'm also a "NO" for Chipotle pepper which means one restaurant chain is completely off my list of places to east.

I'm the only one in my family but I cannot stand any type of melon to the point that I cannot even eat around the melon in a mixed fruit cup.

So it seems I was right to detest various vegetables my mother tried to force me to eat. Apparently its a genetic thing.

Another item, I really like tarragon but apparently I'm the only one in the family that can stand the stuff. Should a new thread be opened on that?

I watched a cooking show while waiting for my car to be serviced. The guest chef was asked about his thoughts on cilantro. He said he'd like to have a field of it that he could call a napalm airstrike on. My wife totally agrees with that sentiment. I can tolerate it but I don't seek it out.

I watched a cooking show while waiting for my car to be serviced. The guest chef was asked about his thoughts on cilantro. He said he'd like to have a field of it that he could call a napalm airstrike on. My wife totally agrees with that sentiment. I can tolerate it but I don't seek it out.
DW and I feel the same way about Brussels sprouts-even bacon cannot save them:LOL:

We use cilantro in all our Mexican food recipes and a few Thai and other recipes. But I do know people who just can't eat cilantro, seems to be love it or hate it with no in between.
Well, I do not love it. I certainly don't hate it. I am ambivalent.

I find passion about it curious. But I am open minded.

Way soapy to me, my son and daughter too. I can handle a tiny amount in a salsa or something, but I can always tell you if there is any in the dish. I sub parsley if a recipe calls for it. Sometimes I know it's just not the same to people who like it, which is the majority of people.

Back
Top Bottom