Love or Hate Cilantro

Thought this was an older thread that was resurrected. No, it got started today.

I was sure we talked about cilantro tasting like soap for people with a certain gene. Is it déjà vu, or my imagination?

I enjoy it mixed in other dishes (salsa, guacamole, Thai curries, etc) but I find the taste much too strong when used as a garnish. I don't taste it as soap, just overwhelming.

I love it but DW hates it. She can't stand the "soapy" smell. She takes them out of her dishes (e.g., Pho) and I order extra on a side.

Cilantro - Mexican Parsley

Si, muey cilantro por favor! Every caldo (soup) here has a cup with extra cilantro in it and onions too. Mas flavor!

DW and I love it.

We have a friend who abhors it, he has the soap gene.

Interestingly, he also hates strawberries almost as much. I've never known anyone except him who doesn't like strawberries. I wonder if it is related to the cilantro soap thing.

Last edited:
Love it and we nearly always have some on hand. Now if Kroger would only cease drenching it with those annoying automatic sprayers. I swear it rots before we can get it home and dry it out.

Yeah. I always put a paper towel in the bag and leave it open in the fridge.

Cilantro is a cool season herb, and very easy to grow. In the winter we have it growing like weed in the backyard. Right now, we have to buy it from stores. We always let some go to seed and collect the coriander for cooking and reseeding.

And yes, it keeps a lot longer if the supermarkets do not spray it with water.

It tastes like soap to me so it is not found in my home in anything.

I can't stand it. It tastes awful to me. Cilantro and black licorice are the only things I won't eat.

We love, love, love cilantro. It goes in main cooking AND on top of the served dish as garnish. My son can eat cilantro raw as salad.

We use cilantro in all our Mexican food recipes and a few Thai and other recipes. But I do know people who just can't eat cilantro, seems to be love it or hate it with no in between.

Once in Nova Scotia, or was it New Brunswick, in an RV trek we looked all over the place to get some cilantro to do a dish and they simply did not have it. People just do not eat it there. I do not recall if they had green onion or not.

Apparently there is a genetic component to this discussion (article is from 2012)

"Two studies published this week link the aversion for cilantro with specific genes involved in taste and smell. But, just like the flavors of the herb itself, the findings are nuanced: The genes appear to influence our opinion of cilantro but probably not as much as we initially thought."

"As Nature reports, McGee offers a strategy for building up an appreciation for the herb: Try a cilantro pesto. Crushing the leaves, he says, releases enzymes that convert the soapy, stinky compounds into more mild aromas. The recipe for the pesto is on the website.
But Julia Child, an avowed cilantro hater, said she would just pick it out and throw it on the floor, Nature reports."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ntro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head

Save your money squirt some Dawn on there. Awful nasty soapy stuff.

It tastes like soap to me. I will remove large sprigs of it in dishes, but I can tolerate smaller amounts chopped up. Since I love Mexican and Thai food, I put up with it. When I cook Mexican dishes, I omit it. It's the only herb I can think of which I dislike. (I know several people who don't like tarragon, which I love.) I very much like, however, coriander seed ground up. It's used extensively in Indian cooking. It's flavor is nothing like the leaves. I had some chocolate which had ground coriander seed in it, and it was delicious, too.

I once stayed at an Airbnb in Bogota, Colombia. There was a vase of fresh flowers in my room which smelled powerfully like cilantro. I told my landlady that the flowers were very pretty but that I couldn't stand their smell. I explained that they smelled like cilantro, which I hated. She mentioned that her husband also hated cilantro. A couple of minutes later, her husband appeared. I held out the flowers to him and asked him what they smelled like. He made a face and screamed "cilantro!".

Love it, it’s probably people’s chemistry, some people KNOW they have eaten asparagus when they go to bathroom others don’t get any STINK. Soapy is probably same kind of sensing.... ��

Last edited:
I can’t think of any food that is worse for me. Tastes horrible. The rest of my family enjoys it.

Back
Top Bottom