Do you lie about your means or plans?

When the time comes...

Maybe I'll say that we've landed a temporary full-time ER gig - and that if we do a good job, we'll be promoted to a permanent full-time ER gig...!

:)

Kindest regards.

When I worked, and had a Company car that I could use for my own use, MANY of my friends chided me because "I could afford a luxury car...why did I not buy one?"instead of using the bland common company car..

They never appreciated the thing that made that Company car so valuable:

The little blue Company credit card in the glove compartment of my bland little truck.

The Company paid the fuel, repairs, tires, insurance, etc......for THIRTY TWO YEARS.

I was allowed to use the truck because I was "on call" 24 hours a day....BUT...I can't begin to tell the number of people who tried to make me feel "cheap" because I would not buy another car with which to duplicate the Company truck's use....

So...they all bought cars and trucks for 30 years....to impress people, mostly, while I trucked around in the BOW-RING company vehicles...and SAVED like a demon possessed!!!

Guess who is retired at 57 :confused:

That would be......ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good story. It' s all about LBYM choices over the decades.
It's a great way to save for a vacation......and what's retirement but a long, long vacation :D

I just don't look affluent. I live in a building where everyone works, I am sure when they see me around they assume I live on social security. People who do not live here assume that I am a renter, as over 40% of Seattleites are. Nobody has every asked me about money, or offered information about his or her finances. I once asked a woman I was dating about her money, because I could tell she was blowing through a nice inheritance with the speed of light. I hoped I could clue her to find out about a better path. She was offended so I shut up. I occasionally talk to her though I won't go near her. She is quite attractive but essentially broke; I consider her to be radioactive.

My sister knows I have not worked in years, raised two children, financially survived a divorce in late middle age, but she has never asked me anything about money, either general or particular. She has 4 children who have never asked me anything about college loans, or job planning, or avoiding exploitive dating partners or anything else, other than "howya doin' Uncle Ha?". They make a series of questionable choices but I guess the idea of talking to me about life planning just doesn't appeal.

Though I have sometimes felt ignored about something which is actually my best talent, it works out very well for me. I will never have to be impolite or turn down a loan request, as I will never get one.

Ha

Last edited:
See your point Ha but your loved ones cannot gain from your financial wisdom if they are totally unaware of it.
I'm in Ha's camp on this one. Any advice I've given gets flushed after they find out if might take more than a year to accomplish or require some sacrifice on their part.

Does not remembering what ya said yesterday...and then saying something different... Does that constitute lying? :(

I figure I am where most of my old friends are trying to get. So I didn't and still don't hide that I don't work. In fact I tell people I have found something I am really, really good at, and I am going to keep on doing it forever! I have not put a sign in the front yard, but that's just because all my neighbors retired early or on time.

I rarely encounter people who want to talk about Early Retirement, or anything financial or remotely related to saving in any way. A few times someone has brought up Early Retirement, and they all turned out to be gung ho on day trading or house flipping as their road to nearly instant riches. Those all ended badly.

Even talking to financial folks at work about the company 401k plan (it's bad now, but it used to be terrible) it's almost impossible to get them to understand that the fund salesman isn't our friend and that fees matter.

As for discussing retirement plans at work, that would be career suicide. As an older tech worker I'm already fighting an uphill battle against agism. If word of retirement plans got out, I'd be sidelined or even laid off very shortly.

Now being 57 I have no problem telling people that I am retired. I never discuss finances with anyone other than suggesting VG as a good place to consider for investing.
The closest I came to discussing how much I have was 5 years ago. My then 15yo son asked if I was a millionaire......I just smiled and winked at him :LOL:

Does not remembering what ya said yesterday...and then saying something different... Does that constitute lying? :(

That's Jack Daniels. :)
MRG

Lie about retirement

I work in a Corporate environment with mostly engineers who are now or plan to work into their late 60s/early 70s. I don't share my plans to retire in December 2015, at the age of 55 with anyone at work. I am considered a part of the financial senior management team and believe my status would suffer if people knew the limited duration of my full time career. To maintain my position I have to approach my job as if I plan on continuing my 25 year corporate ladder climb at this company indefinitely. On the other hand I spend my free time planning and researching my future finances as well as the things I want to do and study in retirement. DW and I have already joined a hiking club and a travel club that will have us on the road for long periods of time once I take the plunge. We are also looking at homes in areas that are an hour or more outside of the city. Sometimes maintaining this dual focus can be quite a challenge but likely offers some insight into my chosen moniker for this site. I do discuss my plans with several friends who were able to retire in their 50s. They are happy to listen to my strategies and are very open about how they did it. Much like so many of the people on this site.

I don't think I will lie to family and close friends. We'll probably share our plans. I used to let our ER plans come up in casual conversation, but I have since stopped that. People get so angry or cynical, and I find myself defending our desire to save. It's the equivalent of showing off to them. So now I don't even share that. I probably will not say anything unless asked directly.

I did ask my H if we're going to throw a retirement party for ourselves. HA! In reality, we'll just slip under the radar I think.

I do lie when I am getting my hair cut. When someone asks "so, do you have the rest of the day off?" I mumble something about being on vacation. I just feel guilty not having to work at a youngish age especially when dealing with someone who has to be indoors on a 75 degree sunny day in Seattle. (but maybe they love their job...it is just the way I feel).

Back
Top Bottom