Someday's I feel no purpose

It sounds like a touch of S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) to me. Part of that depressive mood can be a sense that life feels sort of empty and pointless. So, I'm guessing that once that mood lifts, you'll feel different.

Re. the question of purpose, I disagree with those who are brushing it off as irrelevant, although I don't frame it in terms of "purpose," myself, but instead in terms of meaning. I need to feel my life has meaning or meaningful moments -- even if that only consists in something as simple as enjoying the company of a dog, a piece of music, or a mountain range. Victor Frankl made a whole school of thought out of this idea -- that people have an inherent need for meaning.

For me "Having purpose" is greatly overrated! Humans may be the only species on earth that thinks there must be purpose in their life. I reached the age of 73, have a great family, friends and enjoy getting up in the morning. Nothing that I do has purpose. It just is!

Human beings are the only species on earth that thinks about purpose and meaning. That's because they are the only ones that can. I think there is a reason for the capacity to ask that question. And I think there is a reason why human beings have asked this question since the dawn of history.

But philosophy/spirituality aside, even at the psychological or pragmatic level, what you're saying ("nothing I do has purpose") isn't accurate. Getting out of bed in the morning has purpose. Eating breakfast has purpose. I can't think of any behavior that doesn't serve some kind of purpose. Granted, it may not be a higher purpose, saving the world or whatnot, but purpose is a part of everything we do (heck, that's why we do it!).

I am glad everyone else is so well adjusted. ;)

I am comfy admitting that I still struggle with all of this 3 years after quitting the day job. I miss the sense of accomplishment, the (very occasional) recognition, intellectual challenge and the social aspects of my old career.

I get that. It's one of the reasons I hesitate to go full-stop retirement and discontinue working completely. My work provides benefits besides the financial. One of those benefits is a sense of doing something useful and meaningful that engages my mind and skills.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02
I saved this article from The NY Times and re-read it every few months. I love the perspective of being happy with a "small, simple life".

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/2...appy-life.html
I remember reading this when it was first published, and enjoying it very much. I did not bookmark it at the time, so thanks for posting it so I could save it this time.

Thanks that is really good!

Human beings are the only species on earth that thinks about purpose and meaning. That's because they are the only ones that can. I think there is a reason for the capacity to ask that question. And I think there is a reason why human beings have asked this question since the dawn of history.
You are probably right.

But then again, speaking for all the other species, maybe it's because the other species (dogs, cat, squirrels, rabbits, salamanders, etc.) already know their purpose. Just a light hearted thought. :)

Another light hearted thought: I am very suspicious of this thread as we see plenty of dogs, cats, and even blue rabbits posting.

Last edited:
My purpose is to aid the parents of America by serving as a cautionary example for their offspring. So they can say "Don't (stick ___ in your nose/put the ___ in the washer/take your clothes off ____/mix __ and ___ together/etc.). Do you want to end up like that Gumby guy?" I find it very fulfilling.

Last edited:
My purpose is to aid the parents of America by serving as a cautionary example for their offspring. So they can say "Don't (stick ___ in your nose/put the ___ in the washer/take your clothes off ____/mix __ and ___ together/etc.). Do you want to end up like that Gumby guy?" I find it very fulfilling.

:LOL:

and you know this how?

Serious question? It depends on cognitive abilities that other animals do not have (e.g., self-reflective capacity, advanced concept formation, advanced reasoning). Also, there is no evidence that animals have ever developed myths or religious systems (which sprouted up in part as an attempt to answer these questions).

Plus, I've never seen dogs engaged in conversation about the matter. Although apparently they do play poker.

Last edited:
Plus, I've never seen dogs engaged in conversation about the matter.

Encountered a group of dogs the other day...as I approached I thought I heard one say "Umanhay, umanhay...scratch & sniff guys, scratch & sniff".

And didn't the Greeks throw the misleading 'i' into Diogenes?

At the risk of moving off topic, one earlier post mentioned not having been on welfare or having collected unemployment.

That made me realize that I regret never having collected unemployment.

One summer off from college, I took a part time job working in the loading doc of a department store. It was a fun job and I got lots of exercise lifting the boxes. However, I later found out that while I was knocking down the princely sum of $36 a week, I could have had unemployment of $34.50.

I had hoped to somehow trick mega corp into laying me off so I could collect, but when the time came the thought of having to go through the motions of pretending to look for a new job seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Plus, they tormented me to the point where I chose to quit on my own.

Plus, I've never seen dogs engaged in conversation about the matter. Although apparently they do play poker.

And hold a meeting:

Dieselgate Meeting_zpsqvqarfkx.JPG

One or both of us usually have some kind of outing planned for most days of the week. It gets us out of the house every day and we both like having fun events to look forward to. Sometimes it is just a club hike at a park, happy hour or dinner out and then 2 - 3 times a week we'll do something a bit bigger like see a play in the city with friends, go wine tasting or visit an art museum. So I guess after careers and raising kids there is no higher purpose any more except to have fun and enjoy retirement. I do plan to sign up for some volunteer work this year. I'll also keep up some kind of part-time hobby income.

Last edited:
You have been creating your purpose in life every day of your adult life. You created it by the job(s) you took, the family you raised, the people and things you love. You have been working for someone else for so long, you have allowed their purpose to become yours.

That is why you are feeling lost right now. I feel sad that so much of my life was taken from me that way. I too have that "Is that all there is" feeling.

Sometimes new purposes will show up, more often you need to get over your fears and do something out of your comfort zone. People crave to be part of something bigger. I'll give you two examples from my own life.

1. This happened to me: I drive our band director to band each week. Last September I went to take her to band and found her acting disoriented and confused. Being a physician I noted she was breathing a little fast so I checked her pulse and temperature. I took her straight to the ER and told them at triage that I thought she had sepsis. I also got all her medications and brought them with me. Because of my recognition of her condition and knowledge to prepare for the visit, she was fast tracked and my action saved her life. That was an example of a purpose that showed up.

2. For a couple of years I have wanted to start a flute choir. Finally 3 weeks ago I invited every decent local flute player I could get a hold of to my house for a flute playing session and party. That in itself is waaaay out of my comfort zone. In the past, when I hosted parties, the turnout percent has been low. This time, everyone who could come, did. I even had the guts to invite an award winning professional, who I'd only met a few times, who helped me run the event. It was exciting to get people from different groups together and we sounded well from the start.

I'll be setting up the next meeting/rehearsal in just a few weeks, then will try to get us on a regular schedule. We have found a conductor already and performance venues are next. This is exciting!

The main thing is to try something you have wanted to do. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out at first. It helps to reach back to the things you loved before work got in the way. Those things probably are closer to YOUR purpose than your work life ever was.

Winter time blues. That's the only time I feel like I'm a little low on something. Bored....lack of purpose....call it what you want. Luckily in the south winter time blues comes and goes as it's rare we have cold or bad weather for several days in a row. Later today I will be playing golf in shorts. I won't be solving any world problems but I certainly won't be feeling a 'lack of purpose'. ;)

If you don't have enough to do, may I suggest building your own house by yourself. You will have plenty to do. :angel: On the other hand if you are married, taking on this type of a hobby could end you up single!

I just saw the story of a single mom who built her own 3,500 sq.ft. home. She had the help of her older children, but the oldest was 17 and the youngest was 2 at the time. And she had to finish it in 9 months due to the terms of the construction loan, and while holding a full-time job. She had no prior experience, and learned by watching youtube videos.

Is this true or is it a hoax?

Man, talk about dedication and hard work, even though she did get some professional help from a licensed contractor for electrical work and HVAC.

See story here: Single mom builds 3,500-square-foot home by watching YouTube tutorials

AAlZiUo.img

I believe it is true. I do believe if you want something bad enough you can do just about anything.

Might partially be the winter influence indeed. Three years ago I started avoiding the holiday season, going to sunny areas. Gave a strong boost to my happiness every time.

Once I started thinking more about this I realized that I get down moods every year, for as long as I can remember. Call it mild SAD.

So no more dark days for me if I can help it. May have nothing to do with your thoughts, in which case: carry on ..

What are you favorite sunny escapes?

I'm still using the escapes also as recon missions for a potential permanent snowbird location.

So far I've looked at Bali, Egypt, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Nepal, Suriname and Patagonia. I'm biased towards the Cfb climate zones: That's my goldilocks temperature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate

Favorite by far is New Zealand. It has space, extremely friendly people, reasonable prices and language (English).

Only downside is expense, which is why this year I went to Egypt. Weather there was great and served its purpose, people have (sad to say) a horrendous attitude, with few exceptions.

This year we took a week cruise in Dec so was nice to escape the weather. Usually we have very mild winter weather but this year has been an exception. I do some volunteer work, knit scarves for the homeless and teach an online college class that I love. Without the class I would be a bit lost.

The weather has broke so I have been hiking and getting outside each day. It has been very nice weather just above freezing so getting out has made a difference.

Just over the first year of FIRE and I really wish I had time to feel this way! Rental property has been giving me all sort of trouble this year. (Called a plumber because I thought--"Hey I don't have to do this anymore!" Plumber took one look and said he didn't want to do it and left!) Minor consulting to "keep current in my field" has resulted in more calls than I want. Guess I need to charge more. The slings and arrows just keep coming...

I've found that in the winter waking up without feeling like doing anything goes away if i'm under two blankets on couch with plate of comfort food watching reruns and reading til i can't keep eyes open :) sometimes i even have to start the day over two or three times but they do say training is ten thousand times hey :)

Back
Top Bottom