Baseball 2017

I am pulling for the Astros. Apparently, since retirement and transplant to the great state of Texas, I am required to support Texas teams. And by the grace of the almighty I was fortunate to end up in Houston, I will stand by the mighty mighty Astros in their pennant race. Go ASTROS!!!!

Well, both series are 2-0 so the prediction should be pretty clear. Rooting for the Cubs, but after last year I won't be crushed if they don't make it.

OK, we are well into the playoffs. Anyone care to speculate on who is going to win their respective pennants and then the WS?

At this point, I'm going with the Dodgers in the NL. Although I'd rather see the Cubs win.

In the AL I'll pick the Astros.

Assuming the Astro's can hold on and win the AL pennant, I'm going to stay with them to win the WS too. Hey other seemingly impossible 1st things have happen over the past year, so why not see the Astros as WS champs for the first time.

At the beginning I was thinking that Cleveland would beat the Stros.... but they lost so I am now with you... LA, Houston and Houston winning...

BTW, I had LA from the beginning...

Lifetime cub fan here, grew up going to games at wrigley as a kid.
That said, I just don't see them holding up against the dodgers. Dodgers bullpen looks excellent, and the cubs, well you've seen the middle/late innings of their games. They just can't match up. Happy that the 108 year drought was ended last year. Can live with that for a while longer.

I quit watching MLB back after the strike in '95. Just walked away. I was totally disgusted with both the owners and the players. But I was a Dodgers fan since before I can remember, since the Sandy Koufax, Duke Snider, Maury Wills days. I've been feeling the urge to start being a fan again, since I've been going to some minor league games over the past few years. Sadly, my minor league team is an Orioles farm club, but so it goes. Anyway, I decided to get back into it this year, and have been following the Dodgers again.

So I'm assuming that their long drought (since the amazing Kirk Gibson series in '88), was due to my absence. Now that I'm back, it's their time again. I'm rooting for LA all the way. I'm their lucky charm.

Yankees are taking it to the Astros tonight. I'm an "old" Yankee fan living in Houston and can't get into the Astros as a dedicated fan (don't tell DW though!). I'm from New England.

In any event, the Yankees have the pitching as witnessed tonight and I believe they are deeper in good starters than Houston. I'm thinking this series will go seven games and favor the Yankees.

Sure would be nice to see another Yankee/Dodger series!

Yankees are taking it to the Astros tonight. I'm an "old" Yankee fan living in Houston and can't get into the Astros as a dedicated fan (don't tell DW though!). I'm from New England.

In any event, the Yankees have the pitching as witnessed tonight and I believe they are deeper in good starters than Houston. I'm thinking this series will go seven games and favor the Yankees.

I guess you have not looked at the rosters...

Houston has 4 starters with 13+ wins (Verlander has 15 total, but 5 with Houston)...

NY has 3 starters with 13+, and one has 12 losses....

The big deal is that these are #1 and #2 offensive teams.... they score a LOT of runs...

Stats wise the Yankees have a better overall pitching staff, but in the playoffs you are putting out the starters on shorter rest....

I guess you have not looked at the rosters...

Houston has 4 starters with 13+ wins (Verlander has 15 total, but 5 with Houston)...

NY has 3 starters with 13+, and one has 12 losses....

The big deal is that these are #1 and #2 offensive teams.... they score a LOT of runs...

Stats wise the Yankees have a better overall pitching staff, but in the playoffs you are putting out the starters on shorter rest....

I didn't know Verlander's overall record. I know the playoffs are all out play, but I hope I am wrong about the Astros. I guess my 24 years of watching them choke time after time again has me biased the wrong way. They were so bad a couple of years ago, we gave up our season's tickets.

I didn't know Verlander's overall record. I know the playoffs are all out play, but I hope I am wrong about the Astros. I guess my 24 years of watching them choke time after time again has me biased the wrong way. They were so bad a couple of years ago, we gave up our season's tickets.

I will agree... they were very bad... and they were not supposed to be 'good' for another couple of years.... seems that they have improved faster than it was predicted...

They also seem to be keeping their best talent.... that was one of the problems years ago, they let them go...

Acquiring Verlander means they really want to win it this year.... and I think they will.... but, the Dodgers also seem to have some good pitching.... but their offense is not close to either NY or Houston...

A Yankee fan I used to work in the 80s with was complaining about the non-traditional series matchups like the Royals-Cardinals, and Tigers-Padres. He said it wasn't a "classy" series like Yankees-Dodgers. He very clearly confused "classic" with "classy", especially during the Steinbrenner years. Ever since then I've rooted against a Yankee-Dodger series, and it hasn't happened since then either. Still rooting against!

As a Dodgers fan, I always root for a Yankees/Dodgers series. The Dodgers need to win a couple (or 5) to start catching up in the overall competition, and they can't do it playing other teams.

Just as a side questions, since I've been away from MLB for over 20 years they've come out with a ton of new statistics. It's not just batting average, home runs, ERA and strikeouts anymore. Do those of you who've followed the sport over the years pay much attention to all the Sabermetrics? Or do you pretty much just watch the same old stuff?

I don't follow the league as closely or as in depth as others here but I do pay attention to a couple of the newer metrics. Batting average with runners on base for one.

As far as the series, I'm hoping for Dodgers/Astros. Not only have I hated the Yankees since the mid eighties, Astros and Houston et al are due for some good luck.

As a Dodgers fan, I always root for a Yankees/Dodgers series. The Dodgers need to win a couple (or 5) to start catching up in the overall competition, and they can't do it playing other teams.

Just as a side questions, since I've been away from MLB for over 20 years they've come out with a ton of new statistics. It's not just batting average, home runs, ERA and strikeouts anymore. Do those of you who've followed the sport over the years pay much attention to all the Sabermetrics? Or do you pretty much just watch the same old stuff?

As a Diamondbacks fan, I can't root for the Dodgers. Would like to see Houston get to the World Series.

As far as the new metrics, I like OPS and RISP for hitters, and WHIP for pitchers.

The "Baby Bombers" came back from being down 4-0 today and scored 6 runs in their last 2 innings to win the game. They are exceeding my expectations so far. All of their playoffs losses so far except for 1 have been close, they have really been contending in the post season.

The "Baby Bombers" came back from being down 4-0 today and scored 6 runs in their last 2 innings to win the game. They are exceeding my expectations so far. All of their playoffs losses so far except for 1 have been close, they have really been contending in the post season.

Houston's relievers showed there strength. Four good starters, but light past the 6th. Cost them when they can't pound out 10 early runs.:(

that was really difficult to watch but I watched it anyway

go stros!

I told DW to make sure she hides the rope, rat poison and razor blades for tonight's game.

This may be one of the worst weeks in Houston sports - my coogs cooged it on national TV last night and my stros lost 3 games this week. :(

that was really difficult to watch but I watched it anyway

go stros!

I told DW to make sure she hides the rope, rat poison and razor blades for tonight's game.

This may be one of the worst weeks in Houston sports :(
Not sure if it's the worse since Houston has had so many bad weeks/months/years in sports, it's hard to pick the worse. But it was certainly pretty bad.

Well one more night for the ALCS :facepalm: I'm not sure if I want the Astros to win tonight or just hang it up for the season. Not sure I can take another week of this!

But how about that little guy, Altuve! He's been awesome.

Last edited:
Well one more night for the ALCS :facepalm: I'm not sure if I want the Astros to win tonight or just hang it up for the season. Not sure I can take another week of this!

If the Yankees win, the season is over for me since I can't watch either of my two most hated teams win it all.

If the Yankees win, the season is over for me since I can't watch either of my two most hated teams win it all.
Actually I told the DW about the same thing. No interest in watching LA or the Yanks if the Astros aren't in it.

Let's go Yankees! Game 7 for the pennant about to start. This was a rebuilding year for the Yanks.

Damn! I was really hoping for a Dodgers/Yankees series. Oh well. Go Dodgers!

Back
Top Bottom