Yes... Here's what is on the bill:

water: $2.76
sewer: $2.07
garbage: $13.89
mosquito control: $1.72
park maintenance: $1.36
Louisiana state admin fee: $1.60
Total: $23.40

Actually we are only billed every other month, so we are billed for twice this much; these are the monthly amounts.

My trash, water, and sewer is double yours, and I get no mosquito control. Now I am a man so I venture to bathroom after night more than you do, but my increased flush totals aside still would not get down to your low total. Good for you, W2R!

Mosquito Control?

My trash, water, and sewer is double yours, and I get no mosquito control. Now I am a man so I venture to bathroom after night more than you do, but my increased flush totals aside still would not get down to your low total. Good for you, W2R!

I would love to have a bill this low. However, I love my expensive Southern California. Just having to pay for mosquito control alone makes my expenses in taxes, water, housing, etc. are worth it to me.

Thanks but to be honest, I think it is just that it is cheaper here for everyone. Frank pays the same as me. We are lucky that we do not need to water the lawn, but otherwise I guess we each use about the same amount of water as any single person might.

The Parish (=county) does a great job with mosquito control. I haven't been bitten by a mosquito for years.

Last edited:
And from a link in the OP article:

"A T-bone steak from a Manhattan grocer averages $15.52. In Harlingen, Texas,... the same steak goes for $8.34.")

I've noticed groceries down here to be less expensive than groceries in other parts of TX, even though I'm shopping at the same chains. And Texas groceries are low compared to the rest of the country I've traveled through.

(from the article: "A T-bone steak from a Manhattan grocer averages $15.52. In Harlingen, Texas,... the same steak goes for $8.34.")
Of course there are no toll roads on the cattle drive between the ranch and Harlingen, while there are a bunch on the way to Manhattan... :)

Since i live in the 9th cheapest city, am posting from our latest bill:

Water -
customer charge 4.32
water consumption 19.92
Fed safe drinking water act .30
taxes 1.99

Sewer 41.96

Sanitation
pick-up 12.90
taxes 3.50

Yeah, mine's about double W2R's also. That's for a 1 bedroom apartment that I live in 4 days a week when I'm working in east Texas. My wife's apartment in Bossier City, where she lives 7 days a week, and where I spend weekends, is actually a little less than that. I figure it costs more in Texas in exchange for no state income taxes. My utility bill taxes are probably a bit higher.

I guess what I found amusing/curious/interesting was comparing the list with another linked in the article -- 10 Best Cities for Cheapskates, Springfield, IL being the only city to make both lists.

10 Cheapest U.S. Cities to Live In

10. Idaho Falls, ID
9. Conway, AR
8. Springfield, IL
7. Pueblo, CO
6. Wichita Falls, TX
5. Fayetteville, AR
4. Memphis, TN
3. Norman, OK
2. McAllen, TX
1. Harlingen, TX

10 Best Cities for Cheapskates

10. Wichita, KS
9. Jonesboro, AR
8. South Bend, IN
7. Eau Claire, WI
6. San Antonio, TX
5. Spokane, WA
4. Kalamazoo, MI
3. Springfield, IL
2. El Paso, TX
1. St. Louis, MO

Tyro

Hmph. I hope, when you do, that you are careful to pay 1/10th of the lunch bill for someone less fortunate. :rolleyes:

No issue for me, as I just journal some funds over from my charity account to my sidewalk café account when I run short.:)

Ha

Oakland includes some pricey neighborhoods with pricey boutiques and specialty services (Rockridge, for example, and Montclair). As you go up the hills and get your San Francisco and bay and bridge views, housing prices escalate. http://wwm.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/6236-Rockwell-St-94618/home/602332 (This is in Rockridge, and is an unremarkable though nice house. Street parking is hard to cone by, and you are near freeway noise and local lightrail elevated track noise.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom