2016 Brazil Summer Olympics

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Hard to believe that the 2016 Olympics is less than three months away... Aug 5 thru August 21, 2016.

Would the Zika virus make it a no-go? Even if it was a free trip?
Have you ever been to an Olympic Event?
Are there any specific sports that you will be following?
Do you expect that there will be a large attendance?

Your thoughts... Olympics past or Future?

Last edited:
Hard to believe that the 2016 Olympics is less than three months away... Aug 5 thru August 21, 2016.

Would the Zika virus make it a no-go? Even if it was a free trip?
Have you ever been to an Olympic Event?
Are there any specific sports that you will be following?
Do you expect that there will be a large attendance?

Your thoughts... Olympics past or Future?
I've been to 2 Olympic games and found them immensely enjoyable. Rio is my favorite travel destination and I have many friends there. But I'll stay home and watch the games on TV.

Zika is a problem, Brazil is having issues, and I think there will be logistical challenges. Besides, prices for travel, lodging and tickets go crazy when the Olympics are in town.

d I think there will be logistical challenges.

Wow, what an understatement! I just read the other day that the new subway line out to Barra is only scheduled to be operational a few days before the Olympics opens. And even then it won't go all the way out there.

I also love Rio and have friends there, but no chance I'll be attending in person. Just like I declined to attend the Copa last year. Too many people!!!

But next year may be a great time to visit, after the infrastructure is in place. Seriously thinking about it.

off topic, sorta...
Five points if you know where the 2018 Olympics will be held (no fair looking it up)
Five bonus points if you can spell the location. :LOL:

I'm afraid that the summer Olympics might be a disaster given the situation in Brazil... but I've had similar concerns with prior Olympics and the seem to find a way to pull it off.

I went to the men's downhill at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid (at Whiteface). The men's downhill is much better on television as in person you only see them wiz by the short portion of the course that you are on, but being there was cool.

I had tickets to the men's ski jumping but caught a bad cold at the men's downhill and ended up giving them to a friend. After the event these friends spent some time at the bars in town watching the US/Soviet hockey game that was just down the street at what is now the Herb Brooks Arena and Lake Placid was wild from what they told me.

A year earlier I had watched the US men's hockey team in an exhibition game at the arena and I have since attended the Div III NCAA Frozen Four there a few times. Even though it was long ago there is an interesting aura there. during one of those visits we did go over and toured the ski jump and bobsled facilities so at least I got to see what I missed.

There is now talk of Lake Placid being involved in a regional bid for a future Winter Olympic Games.... I'd love to see it happen.

Last edited:
I was in Brazil last year and the security situation was tense. I stayed in a fairly "good" area yet I woke up on a numbers of occasions with gun shots lasting up to half hour in the neighbourhood.

I'm afraid that the summer Olympics might be a disaster given the situation in Brazil... but I've had similar concerns with prior Olympics and the seem to find a way to pull it off.

I went to the men's downhill at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid (at Whiteface). The men's downhill is much better on television as in person you only see them wiz by the short portion of the course that you are on, but being there was cool.

I had tickets to the men's ski jumping but caught a bad cold at the men's downhill and ended up giving them to a friend. After the event these friends spent some time at the bars in town watching the US/Soviet hockey game that was just down the street at what is now the Herb Brooks Arena and Lake Placid was wild from what they told me.

A year earlier I had watched the US men's hockey team in an exhibition game at the arena and I have since attended the Div III NCAA Frozen Four there a few times. Even though it was long ago there is an interesting aura there. during one of those visits we did go over and toured the ski jump and bobsled facilities so at least I got to see what I missed.

There is now talk of Lake Placid being involved in a regional bid for a future Winter Olympic Games.... I'd love to see it happen.

Wow...
I was still working then. We lived in Saratoga Springs, and used to make weekly trips to the Adirondacks... One of my stores was in Saranac Lake, and I used to stay in Lake Placid a lot. For the year before the Olympics, I'd go to the Hockey rink to watch the Olympic team work out. The Bobsled run was also one of my regular stop offs, as was the Olympic Bar in Placid... which had as an awning over the door, the front end of a sled from the 1932 Olympics. I'd sit and tip a few with some of the old timers who had actually driven a sled in those Olympics. Great Stories.

I had to work, so missed the actual Olympics, but I used to bring three of my kids to Whiteface, to ski during the winters while we were in NY.

In 1982, DW and I were looking for a home in the Adirondaks and found a beautiful mountainside home about 5 miles from Placid, with a deck the had a clear view of the ski jump. Price was right... $33K but the single problem was ... no water. The next house on the mountainside, had drilled down 900 feet through solid rock, with no sign of water... Just as well.

Memories of this beautiful part of the country stay with me still. Had breakfast with Kate Smith in the Lake Placid Inn in 1975... She liked fried eggs with maple syrup. Y'all probably don't even know who Kate Smith was, or how much she influenced the outcome of WWII.

Doesn't take too much to trigger wordy memories.

Y'all probably don't even know who Kate Smith was, or how much she influenced the outcome of WWII.

Nonsense! Many of us were faithful Ed Sullivan viewers, and she was a regular. What a powerful (and good) voice.

I lived out in LA during the 84 Olympics and gloom and doom was forecasted with jammed freeways, smog, etc. It actually turned out quite well. One of the smart things LA did financially was not to invest in a lot of new venues and infrastructure, for the most part existing facilities were used. Sounds like Rio isn't taken that approach and will probably take a big financial hit because of it and the Zika virus surely won't help to bring in needed tourist.

I lived out in LA during the 84 Olympics and gloom and doom was forecasted with jammed freeways, smog, etc. It actually turned out quite well. One of the smart things LA did financially was not to invest in a lot of new venues and infrastructure, for the most part existing facilities were used. Sounds like Rio isn't taken that approach and will probably take a big financial hit because of it and the Zika virus surely won't help to bring in needed tourist.

The 84 olympics was also a wake up call to California that helped it in getting it's air quality act together. That alone was worth the expense incurred.

In fairness , there are very few cities than can compare favorably with LA when it comes to existing facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Personally, I think some of the water events are going to be a bit of a gong show in Rio because of the pollution.

We attended long track speed skating when the 2010 Winter Olympics were in town in Vancouver. Glad we attended and it was kind of a fun experience. We thought the other activities around town (medal ceremonies, visiting country "houses", etc) made for a really festive two weeks.

I enjoy watching the Olympics. It has become a bit too big money, big corporation, though.
And while it does seem like Vancouver's finances weren't too impacted by hosting the Olympics, I kind of favour future Olympics being held/rotated in cities that have most of the infrastructure in place.

Back
Top Bottom