2023 workout thread

One month until I race gravel bike in Bend, Oregon!

Bend is a three day event with a time trial Friday afternoon and long gravel races in the mountains both Saturday and Sunday. Raced this event last year with a mid-pack finish and reminded of valuable lessons about event nutrition, rest between races and hydration.

Yesterday was a long gravel ride with my race buddies. Today starting out with an hour of intervals on the treadmill and core strength work at the gym. Later back home will head out on a long road bike ride.

Mountain bike race yesterday. Got the hole shot off the starting line, but faded back for a 5th place finish an hour later.

Worked my part-time job at the quality assurance lab of a local rock quarry today … which covers my strength training for the day. Then out on my gravel bike for an hour and a half worth of climbing my favorite gravel roads.

Gravel bike ride yesterday morning out of a local bike shop. As expected, the pace started out as “social” but quickly ramped up as the young guns in front pushed the pace. Total of 25 miles. Cooled down at the gym later with an hour of modest paced intervals on the treadmill and time in the jacuzzi.

Today … Sunday … headed up the hill for a solo 30 mile gravel bike ride.

Forty-four mile with 4,000 ft of hill climbing gravel road bike ride today. Today’s ride is part of my conditioning for multi-day gravel bike race coming up next month.

Was doing really well, then hurt my knee in early February. I kept my diet the same, but without my typical calorie burn, the weight came on slowly. I did not get back to my regular routine until about early April. I have not weighed myself - too scared - but feel like I gained 5-7 lbs. I can see it too. Hope to slowly lose the lbs by mid May.

Hit the gym for an hour of intervals on the treadmill this morning. Took care of a couple tasks back at home then 18 miles and 1,900 ft of hill climbing out on my bike on my favorite gravel and dirt roads.

Completed two back to back 17 mile hikes, the first involving 3000 ft of elevation gain, then completed a third, 10 mile hike today. We now begin to taper prior to heading out in 10 days for our 200 mile walk across Spain.

I'm feeling extremely strong, however I had three days of crazy, intense pain in my right leg. My leg began burning about mile 5, and continued to increase in pain intensity until I could almost not stand it ( though I did- just put my head down and kept going). Symptoms included intense burning pain, what felt like muscle spasms, extreme tenderness around knee, and sharp shooting pain if I turned my leg ever so slightly sideways.

I took Alleve, wrapped my knee, and kept hiking. Both the Alleve and the wrap helped, and I now feel completely normal. However, I'm trying to understand both what happened, and how I could go from 100% to 0% pain so quickly. :confused:

Last edited:
^^^ Awesome! But are you training to hike across Spain in one day?

LOL, no, but . . . we have a 19/17/18 mile stretch in the middle of our 15 day route that we want to make sure we're ready for. It's a pre-planned route, including lodging, so we have to hit each day's mileage.

Last edited:
LOL, no, but . . . we have a 19/17/18 mile stretch in the middle of our 15 day route that we want to make sure we're ready for. It's a pre-planned route, including lodging, so we have to hit each day's mileage.

We are doing one of those trips in England this August. Need to get serious about the prep! But really looking forward to it.

From the start of the Pandemic until just last fall our gym was closed so got completely out of shape! Slowly coming back and have more than doubled the weights I am using. Sadly hips just can’t take being on a bicycle anymore….even had to sell the motorcycle, but not going in for surgery until I exhaust the training/Pilates/physiotherapy route.

You folks on this thread are an inspiration!

Well, that's a wrap on this ski season (probably). I set a goal to ski 60 times and ski 1 million vertical feet. But I hit that pretty early in the year. So, I kept bumping up the goal until I got to 100 days.

What a great snow year out west!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230428-120922.jpg
    Screenshot_20230428-120922.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230428-153706.png
    Screenshot_20230428-153706.png
    2 MB · Views: 32
With todays ride, hit my weekly cycling goals (100 mi & 10k ft of vertical) a day early.

Todays ride was down to the river. Thanks to record setting snowfall and now temps in the high 80s, river Is running high, fast and cold with all this snowmelt.

Hit the gym for an hour of cardio and strength training circuit this morning. Back home went out on a 1-1/2 hour road bike ride in this afternoon.

Have a mtn bike race coming up followed by three days of gravel road racing coming up next weekend. Will be a good test of the fitness I’ve been working to build these last couple of months.

Got out on a 26 mile gravel road bike ride with 3,300 ft of hill climbing.

Getting a bit nervous about upcoming gravel road race this weekend in Oregon. Friday afternoon time trial and Saturday fast gravel course with not too many miles and hill climbing. Sunday is the killer. 92 mile race with many feet of hill climbing. Going to have to be on the gas for much of the day. Nutrition and hydration will be crucial.

Time trailed yesterday on my gravel bike. Hauled a$$ on the uphill portion but not so aggressive coming back down.

Today raced 65 miles with 4K feet of hill climbing on my gravel bike. Last 7 miles were all uphill and brutal.

…. And on Sunday raced 60 miles on my gravel bike.

No podium-level performances over the weekend, but overall pretty happy with the outcome. Was a great weekend of racing.

Now taking a couple days off the bike for rest and recovery.

Got out for a 22 mile gravel road bike ride with 2,600 ft of climbing. Total ride took 2-1/2 hrs.

Biggest challenge is the 1.8 mile rocky ascent back to town on a beat up trail. It’s a rough and very rocky 600 ft of vertical at the end of the ride.

Easy cardio workout at the gym today.

Twilight bike race tomorrow evening and another big gravel endurance bike race this weekend.

The good times keep rolling!

Sixty mile gravel road race this past weekend. Ripped through the first half solo. Mid-race spotted two team mates out a 1/2 mile or so in front. Caught up and worked together in a paceline for the rest of the race.

Didn’t make the podium but had an awesome day with good friends.

Joining this thread as I need accountability while I’m on the road and away from home. Today was a solo 15 mile bike ride with a 995’ climb in there, and 50 minutes of a free weight and core workout that I did with my sister.

Today I walked almost two miles with a friend. I swam for about 45 minutes total. I still want to do some gentle yoga before bedtime.

Another bike ride today, this time mountain biking with my nephew, over 2,300 feet of climbing! Whew! He literally left me in the dust but it was a blast.

Back
Top Bottom